[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A lot of threads on US presidents around here. Forget that for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 12
File: 1436467478586.jpg (93 KB, 569x800) Image search: [Google]
1436467478586.jpg
93 KB, 569x800
A lot of threads on US presidents around here. Forget that for a moment, who's your favorite British PM?
>>
William Pitt the Elder
>>
attlee's a bro he did the nhs and beat churchill
>>
Better than Edens

>mfw you actually had a PM who was high on amphetamines.
>>
>>22455

Churchill, about it.
>>
>>22493

lord palmerston
>>
File: Iron Lady.jpg (127 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
Iron Lady.jpg
127 KB, 700x933
Only woman i'd be fine having as my country's leader desu
>>
File: Thatcher_1670807c.jpg (17 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
Thatcher_1670807c.jpg
17 KB, 460x288
Thatcher, no doubt.

Butthurt Taigs, Scotkeks, Northerners and Argies can fuck off.
>>
Disraeli?
>>
File: TonyBlair.jpg (237 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
TonyBlair.jpg
237 KB, 1500x1500
>this triggers the /pol/fag

Definitely the most effective PM since WW2. Britain prospered under him.
>>
>There are people here RIGHT NOW who don't believe Robert Peel was the best PM
>>
>>22455
Some of my favorites:
Bobby Peel
Pitt the Younger
Gladstone
Churchill
Thatcher
>>
File: 13.jpg (24 KB, 636x450) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
24 KB, 636x450
>>22455
Absolutely Attlee, couldn't go on about him enough

Best PM we never had though has to go to Mosley, before he went off his nut in the late 30s
>>
File: BkE0aueCMAAzX5n.jpg (26 KB, 599x459) Image search: [Google]
BkE0aueCMAAzX5n.jpg
26 KB, 599x459
>>22493
>William Pitt the Elder

Lordddd Palmerston!
>>
File: ladythatcher.jpg (70 KB, 640x659) Image search: [Google]
ladythatcher.jpg
70 KB, 640x659
Despite every failing, she did what she thought was best and saw the biggest changes to this country since the war.
>>
Who /royalist/ here?
>>
File: Clement-Attlee-005.jpg (19 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Clement-Attlee-005.jpg
19 KB, 460x276
>>27065
>>25570
>>25549
Thatcher gets both more hate, and praise than she deserves. She did alright, did some good things, but did some absolute shit too like the poll tax, she was average more than anything, most of her popularity came from the Falklands war and her dominant personality, if you look at her opinion polls she would never have been reelected before the war, she managed to win the war and create a cult of personality to win again.

Love her to bits, could not respect her killing her own career over her opposition to the future European Union any more than I can, made the right choice there to oppose it, but at the same time she wasn't perfect, and in the long term some of her policies have caused issues

She was good, but no Attlee, Attlee is the sort of guy you'd want as grandpa too..
>>
Viscount Melbourne
>>
This board is going to be awful. This thread is a perfect example.

For the record, Lord Salisbury.
>>
>>25505
>>27053
PITT...THE...ELDER
>>
Anyone recently read Boris' new book 'The Churchill factor'? It was a great read and renewed my perspective on the man. A couple months ago I would have replied with Disraeli, but now I would certainly reply with Churchill
>>
File: htlr.jpg (18 KB, 343x450) Image search: [Google]
htlr.jpg
18 KB, 343x450
>>27065
Despite every failing, he did what he thought was best and saw the biggest changes to his country since the war.
>>
>>27166
How can you admire both Thatcher and Attlee, they were at opposite poles politically?
>>
File: cannot barrage.jpg (189 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
cannot barrage.jpg
189 KB, 1200x799
only choice
>>
>>27385
You're absolutely right, but their totally different poles suited the times, Thatcher would have been a god awful post-war prime minister, and Attlee would have fared much worse I'm Thatcher's time. Don't agree with either on anything, economically I lean more towards Attlee, but I'm more of a fan of Thatcher's social policies and attitude towards Europe
>>
>>27470
Oh wait a minute that hasn't happened yet
soon
>>
>>27471
The only reason thatcher suited her times was because she was the first one with the fucking guts to clean up attlee's mess
>>
>>27476
Never

UK1P peaked
>>
>>27505
peaked in seats, not in votes
they'll count eventually, I swear
>>
>>27494
>attlee's mess

I think you mean MacMillan and Callaghan's mess anon
>>
>>27494
Attlee was great. It was his successors who failed to live up to even one tenth of his standing that were responsible for the country going down the pan. Thatcher merely saw where the tide was going and followed it i.e. outdated industries getting their life support turned off.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 1077x807) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 1077x807
Joining the circlejerk
>>
>>27543
No, I in fact do not
Attlee's nationalisations failed disastrously as soon as the american aid stopped rolling in to offset the deficits
everyone in the north was basically on strike from the late fifties right up until the 80s
>>
We all know how well the WWII coalition worked with Churchill as Prime Minister and Attlee as Deputy worked

How would Britain be if we brought them back to life today as head of government with Thatcher replacing Churchill...
>>
>>27166
>Thatcher gets both more hate, and praise than she deserves
Definitely, though I think that that Attlee gets more praise than he deserves too. Obviously the creation of UHC was great, but it wasn't similar to the USA. The Tories promised UHC too, just along different lines (it would have been joined up with universities because that's what the BMA wanted). Also plenty of his policies fucked the economies shit up in the long term which wasn't known at the time, but he still has to bear responsibility for.
>>
>>27598
Except lend-lease had already ended in 1945, and the marshal aid was given at once, and smaller compared to much of continental Europe

If Attlee had made a mess unsustainable in the long term, they had 28 years before Thatcher to sort it out, and none of them did
>>
>>27716
The UK subsisted off american aid for the next decade easily m8
>they had 28 years before Thatcher to sort it out, and none of them did
Who was going to sort it out then? Callaghan? They couldn't sort their way out of a fucking paper bag man

somebody needed to privatise and thatcher did. It's not for me to say why nobody did until her, but she definitely did
>>
>>27716
I think that you're being deliberately disingenuous. They had 28 years to clean up his mess but didn't, therefore it wasn't his fault? The nationalisations were terrible
>>
>>27471
Interesting idea. What of Thatcher's social policies do you like exactly? Section 28?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.