[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
James K. Polk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNzU2ODQ4NjUz.jpg (149 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNzU2ODQ4NjUz.jpg
149 KB, 1200x1200
Can we talk about Americas best president, James K Polk?

Lets look at his accomplishments:

>Increased Americas Land Mass by 2/3rds
>Manifest Destiny is only a thing because James K Polk accomplished it
>He took over half of Mexico and gave the shitty part back
>He said he would only serve 1 term as president. served that term, and didn't run again. Died 1 year later, after making America the greatest nation in the world.

James K Polk is severely underrated on Americas Greatest Presidents lists.
>>
Best? He did an alright job, but winning the Mexican war came mostly down to Scott and Taylor. There's nothing that really distinguishes him as one of the better wartime presidents.
>>
>>22375

> I just learnt who James Polk is
>>
William Henry Harrison was best prez because he had the decency to kill himself and so spare the Republic of his administration
>>
>>22375
Here's a song I love by They Might Be Giants entitled "James K Polk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9SvJMZs5Rs
>>
I'd say his greatest achievement was ignoring southerners in congress who wanted America to continue the war with mexico and annex the whole country so it could be opened up for slavery.

That would have been biting off WAY more than we could chew.
>>
>>22553
He literally is responsible for Manifest Destiny becoming reality. He took over Mexico and gave the shitty half back. What are you smoking?
>>
>>22718
>he took over Mexico and gave the shitty part back

Is this a new meme now or something? You sound like a retarded faggot that just started paying attention in his U.S. History class.
>>
>>22375
>Increased Americas Land Mass by 2/3rds
You mean he conquered and killer millions of people, right?
>Manifest Destiny is onyl a thing because James k Polk accomplished it
Manifest Destiny is an ideology that has lead to a genocide. Well done, Mr. Polk
>making America the greatest nation in the world
Hahhahahhaha
America is the most powerful nation in the world. That is the only thing about America one might call "great". Your culture is shit and your country is way to young to compete with the greatness of Europes greatest nations
>>
>Not based Andrew Jackson
>>
>>23552
Thing is jackson belittled natives like they were his childre that couldnt handle being citizens of the US.

I feel hes an interesting guy with his wife and her gossip.
Considering everything hes done and the context of it all in the stages for the Civil War i say hes
In the top 20s
>>
>>22375
Polk did a great job, but while its extremely praiseworthy that he declined a second term, the nation would probably have been better served with him at the helm.

Had he stayed in office and not caught cholera during a farewell tour, he might have presided over a more orderly arrangement of the newly won territories. The Mexican territories ended up being a poison pill that inflamed sectional tensions, but Polk might have been able to resolve it in a way more amiable to the South that would've preserved the general peace.
>>
>>22375
He did exactly what he said he would.
10/10 best president actually kept his promises
>>
>>23552
>Not Teddy Fucking Roosevelt
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.