[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History Audiobooks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
Hi guys. I'd like to learn history through audiobooks. I want to have an overall knowledge of history from prehistory to the mid 20th century.

I don't really know where to start. What would be some good audiobooks that I could listen to? Thanks.
>>
File: 1398042566137.png (41 KB, 235x236) Image search: [Google]
1398042566137.png
41 KB, 235x236
>Hi
>audiobooks
>I'd like to learn history through audiobooks.
>I don't really know where to start.
Here's a start: learn to read books like everyone else, because you're not going to learn anything just by listening. Reading entails the compulsion to read (which implies you actually care about the subject) and the pace you set, and you're probably not going to rewind that audiobook if you stop listening momentarily, whereas you can just direct your eyes towards where you wandered off with a book. Taking notes, a practice you should naturally get into the habit of when studying history, is far more intuitive with a book, not to mention with ebooks, than the notes you will never take when listening to audiobooks. You might retain a vague memory of the historical narrative in an audiobook, but little else of any value.

tl;dr - stop being a lazy retard and read a book.
>>
>I want to have an overall knowledge of history from prehistory to the mid 20th century.
is this the 'i listen to everything but country and rap' of history?
>>
>>398258
You're an asshole
If you truly love the subject you should feel aroused that someone wants to get into it with his own means. This is a general board, learn some manners

>>398190
Librivox has few books related to history, I have started listening to "Geronimo's life" and it's petty good (even if I do it more like a listening exercise).

If you happen to know italian I would suggest you the historicast's collection.
>>
>>398277
>with his own means
Oh boo hoo he wants a lazy, impractical method of receiving history. If OP has the means to download and listen to audiobooks, he has even greater means to access the thousands of ebooks that will actually teach him something, instead of the mindless drone of a reader's voice.

>learn some manners
kill yourself
>>
>>398258
Yeah I'm talking about when I'm cooking or cleaning my house and doing stuff like that. I can't read but I can have headphones in so I like to listen to audiobooks if there isn't any music that I'm enjoying at the moment.

>>398268
I don't get you.

>>398277
Thanks for librivox. I hadn't heard of it and I'm checking it out now.
>>
>>398268
>is this the 'i listen to everything but country and rap' of history?
what?
>>
>>398369
>>398362
>>398268
"I listen to anything but country and rap" mean one has no real taste in music. Wanting to know history "form prehistory to 20th cent." is similarly so broad it's stupid.
>>
>>398258
Don't be a fuck. Audiobooks work better for some people, depending on their lives and preferences. I'm not OP, but I work security, which means I'm often stuck in one spot with nothing to do but keep an eye on my surroundings. It'd be irresponsible to read the whole time, so I listen to audiobooks. It kills time and I absorb the information; it's how I "read" Starship Troopers, Dune and am now working on Andrew Roberts' Napoleon: A Life.
>>
>>398190
This pic is so retarded

>Crusades given to Germany instead of France/England
>England/Britain more powerful than Spain from 1650 to 1700
>Britain more powerful than France and Russia during the Napoleonic Wars
>Britain more powerful than Germany during WW1
>>
>>398404
Why so?
It's good to cover the broad strokes of history before you delve into specific subjects, imo. It's all very well to read about the European middle ages, but you'd understand them a lot better with some basic knowledge of Rome and its decline. Similarly, I wouldn't want to read a book focusing solely on the Tang dynasty without looking into general Chinese history.
>>
>>398472
Naval supremacy is a bitch. And it's a noted thing that once Spain started bringing in tons of dosh from the New World their development stagnated, resulting in a weak power once the rest of Europe got in on the imperial game.
>>
>>398486
Naval supremacy was garbage in a era when Europe was all that mattered
Only a retard could think Britain was more powerful than Napoleonic France because they could access some irrelevant islands
>>
Right, places like India, Australia, South America and South Africa weren't even worth having. They certainly had no economic benefits of note, and even if they did, money never helped win a war.

Blockading ports and strangling the trade of another power is equally useless, as we all know.
>>
>>398509
Is for >>398498, obviously
>>
>>398304
>Oh boo hoo he wants a lazy, impractical
>impractical
Practical is reading history books while driving to work, right?

>I literally am too dumb to conceive of a single situation where audiobooks might be preferable or useful in any way
How can you call anyone dumb or lazy? Jesus christ.

>kill yourself
You should definitely do that before ever posting here again
>>
Is there a better version of OP's pic?
>>
File: histomapwider.jpg (4 MB, 2097x9554) Image search: [Google]
histomapwider.jpg
4 MB, 2097x9554
>>398671
>>
>>398671
>>398757
also this https://psfhf.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/archivos-varios/lhistoire-du-monde-louis-henri-fournet-hires
>>
>>398404
Because I want a shallow and basic knowledge of all of it.

>>398469
>>398478
>>398530
Thanks. You guys are smart and understand things.
>>
>>398530
Not that guy, but why did you even post here. To shit on a stranger you might have something in common with? One more person in the world who is conversant in history isn't an insult to you. Hope you enjoyed the attention you generated. Prick.
>>
>>398846
I think you replied to the wrong guy there. It took me a look to make sure though, they're both being really pissy.
>>
>>398190
>roman empire an order of magnitude stronger than china and india combined
>>
>>398190
>Britain twice as powerful as France at the height of Napoleonic power

That graph is a joke, please never post it again except for mocking Anglos.
>>
>>398766
>>398757
Thank you very much!
>>
>>398872
Honestly for it's time this map would probably have been viewed as liberal for even including non-western civilization
>>
Not really what you're looking for but the History of Philosophy podcast is really great
http://historyofphilosophy.net/
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.