[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentrification
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: picture-34.png (433 KB, 697x434) Image search: [Google]
picture-34.png
433 KB, 697x434
Was Gentrification the worst thing to happen to cities in the U.S. during the 80's? Should the white flight mentality have stayed to improve the cities?
>white flight ends
>Yuppies gentrify all the cheap places
>Everyone but yuppies are stuck in high-crime areas, paying 1000 dollars a month and have yuppies make fun of their car

Or were the Yuppies the best thing to happen in minority-concentrated/high-crime areas of cities across the country? Would cities have actually improved without gentrification?
>>
File: 002-ss-13-lirett_lg.png (610 KB, 1000x723) Image search: [Google]
002-ss-13-lirett_lg.png
610 KB, 1000x723
>>394301
To add to this are many cities across the country even today still suffer from the effects of Gentrification? Was the Yuppie culture really to blame or is the lower-working class simply shouldn't be in the city anymore?
>>
>tfw live in Baltimore
>tfw like ten colleges all full of SJW rich white kids
>tfw these kids settle here when they graduate and then cry about the gentrification they're enacting
You fuckers are gonna raise my damn rent with your hypocrisy, and I'm not even a ghetto trog.
>>
>>394319
>To add to this are many cities across the country even today still suffer from the effects of Gentrification?
Yes.
Was the Yuppie culture really to blame or is the lower-working class simply shouldn't be in the city anymore?
Yuppie culture caused the working class to move as no one wants to live in and near utter shit. The city might have kicked them out anyway as the yuppies brought in more money, until they needed the lower class to do the hard shit nobody wanted to do as the those yuppies were lazy fucks
>>
>>394319
>hipsters moving to New Orleans

The wildlife should sort them out.
>>
>improving areas is bad
Niggers, everyone
>>
>whites move out of inner city areas
>RACISM!

>whites move back in
>RACISM!

You can never satisfy this crowd.
>>
>>394301
The whole idea of"high-crime areas" is really framing things the wrong way. Geography doesn't make people kill each other, and lifestyle preferences don't create social inequalities.
>>
>>394824
This desu.

>a derelict, foreclosed shithole of a house where hobos piss and shit gets reconstructed and turned into a beautiful building
>this is somehow bad because the deadbeat crackhead next door can't afford rent now
>>
"Yuppies" aren't the ones gentrifying shit neighborhoods. It's mostly gay people and hipsters.
>>
>>394839
>Being this American
Do you idiots reach all of your solutions by looking at problems in their most extreme form? It sure seems that way.
>>
>>394824
>uprooting established communities, making it impossible for residents to continue living there

Keep in mind 'niggers' aren't asking for gentrification - it's a unilateral real estate cashgrab
>>
>>394301
I can't imagine how fucked your frame of reference would have to be to consider people moving in to a neighbourhood and renovating broken down crack dens to be a bad thing
>>
>>394866
I don't really care whether or not detroit gangbangers get uprooted from their precious communities to be quite honest
>>
>>394870
But gentrification isn't just renovating crack dens or just forcing hardworking poor people out of their homes. You and other posters are trying to make gentrification into a simple issue when it isn't.
>>
>>394855
I'm a first wave gentrifier myself so I know what I'm talking about, unlike suburban sheltered retards completely disconnected from reality.
>>
>>394874
You might wanna because it moves them to other neighbourhoods

Look at what happened to Chicago - gangs were concentrated in projects, projects get torn down, gang violence spreads throughout entire South Side

Also this>>394881
>>
>>394881
the reality of gentrification is blacks in poor areas are racist as fuck and don't want white people moving in to their hood, it's typical white guilt bullshit. Racist when we leave, racist when we come back.
>>
>>394887
>Muh anecdotes
>Muh assumptions
Consider fucking yourself. The only sheltered person is you in that you've already gone through the mental gymnastics necessary to ensure no one jeopardizes your precious opinions.
>>
>>394906
You pretty much implied you're not even American, so you don't even have anecdotes. You don't have shit in fact.
>>
>>394301

>No universal healthcare
>Bipartism controlled by big corporations/lobbies

Gentrification is not a bad thing, especially in US where there arent the space problem and where there can be several downtowns per city. Its just a natural process

The problem is when gentrification isolates people from public services/other classes
>>
>>394940

Le meme arrows problems are bigger problems in US, that and right to take arms
>>
File: 30-8 page 1.jpg (1009 KB, 2550x3510) Image search: [Google]
30-8 page 1.jpg
1009 KB, 2550x3510
OP here
here are some documents to give other anons a better picture of gentrification movements in the 80's and Yuppie culture back then

Gentrification thread in general, but I am having questions on gentrification in particular during the 80's

1/3
>>
File: 30-8 page 2.jpg (974 KB, 2550x3510) Image search: [Google]
30-8 page 2.jpg
974 KB, 2550x3510
>>394950
>tfw you will never be handed degrees and high-paying jobs on a silver platter and instead have old people telling you to "just get a job"
>>
File: 30-8 page 3.jpg (383 KB, 2550x3510) Image search: [Google]
30-8 page 3.jpg
383 KB, 2550x3510
>>394961
3/3
>>
Gentrification was horrible.
White devils moved into our shitty ass ghettos
Leaving behind; public services, utilities, infrastructure, businesses, shopping centers, entertainment centers, prosperity.

What horror.
>>
I like gentrification, because I actually bought my own property. It certainly does make the area a lot more dull however.
>>
Except gentrification isn't based on race, it's based on class.

A series of wealthy foreign investors purchasing up new properties before they are finished and then holding onto them/raising the price to make a quick investment dollar affects lower and middle class whites as well.

Homes that sold for $25 000 in the early 1980's in my area now regularly sell for $350 000-400 000. With the completion of a new diploma mi--- I mean College, rent rates went from $450-650 for an absolute shit hole to $900. If you want to live in a place which is at the very least sanitary, you are looking at $1100 for a one bedroom.
>>
>>394866
How about when it happens to entire white communities?
Oh right. Fo equality?
>>
>>396083
Like those asians buying half of Vancouver?
Honestly, I wish someone would come into my state and gentrify the towns. At least we'd have more stuff to do
>largest city is 30,000 people
>>
People always ignore black flight where the talented tenth booked it with the white folk and left the underclass to its own devices.

I like how he all but admits they can't manage neighborhoods.
>>
>>396229
I think he refuses to admit that wealthy educated blacks are most likely to move out of the hood and into the suburbs. THey ain't down for reviving the community.
>>
>>394866
Gentrification doesn't uproot people. Catastrophically flawed land use policy does.

If lot floor area ratios were not strictly regulated down, there would be no reason to not have both low cost and luxury homes in the exact same developments.

Let's say you're a developer in a barely regulated market. You start with the luxury homes at the best corners and top floors. Then working your way down with progressively less nice homes as you fill all space to the maximum efficiency maximizing the value of your development.

But with land use regulated the way it is, you stop at the most expensive homes you can possibly build. Luxury and at most upper middle class homes. You just stop. The homes that would end up affordable are just gone. You're leaving all that profit behind.
>>
Gentrification saved the Democratic Party.
>>
>>394850
Who then get pushed out by richer folk.
>>
>>394874
Imagine Joot shutting down all containment boards.
Seriously just imagine it
>>
>>396819
Niggers.
>>
>>396823
This post would make sense if ghettos were actually designated to keep the nigs in, which isn't the case.
>>
>>394855
As an American I can confirm this is the case. We're not fit to govern ourselves.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.