[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eternal recurrence "Fellow man! Your whole life, like a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
Eternal recurrence

"Fellow man! Your whole life, like a sandglass, will always be reversed and will ever run out again, - a long minute of time will elapse until all those conditions out of which you were evolved return in the wheel of the cosmic process. And then you will find every pain and every pleasure, every friend and every enemy, every hope and every error, every blade of grass and every ray of sunshine once more, and the whole fabric of things which make up your life. This ring in which you are but a grain will glitter afresh forever. And in every one of these cycles of human life there will be one hour where, for the first time one man, and then many, will perceive the mighty thought of the eternal recurrence of all things"

What does this mean for people who are born with horrible genetic defects or those who are in excruciating pain all their life? Eternal agony?
>>
>taking it literally
>>
>>390614
How do you interpret it then?
>>
>>390609
>What does this mean for people who are born with horrible genetic defects or those who are in excruciating pain all their life? Eternal agony?

You're not quite getting it I think, your question is directed too narrowly. He's speaking in more of a cosmic sense. The event that sparked the universe itself is destined to repeat over and over again forever therefore the life you've lived now therefore is bound to recur again eternally so make it worth while. Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world, this is one of the keys to the Overman. We can only do what we can bring ourselves to do compassionately for those that suffer but we cannot deny life just because it's full of sorrow, that's a childish reaction in Nietzsche's opinion, we should be bolstered by the suffering and try to make things better for ourselves.
Though Nietzsche himself seemed to be a bit in horror at the same question you've posed but the path to the Overman was his only solution.
>>
>>390609 (OP)
The cosmology of Nietzsche isn't a moralizing universe. The universe, if you haven't figured it out already, is completely indifferent to your suffering to your pleasure. There is no good or evil in the cosmos. There is also no sky father or earth mother to tell you how to make sense of this or to provide a 'last judgement'. That is is up to YOU and only you to find the meaning in this. And if you can't do that than you will suffer and you will be doomed to repeat that suffering forever.
>>
>>390702
So is it now appropriate to shout
Thank Nietzsche!
?
>>
>>390649
>he event that sparked the universe itself is destined to repeat over and over again forever therefore the life you've lived now therefore is bound to recur again eternally so make it worth while.

but if it's bound to repeat itself over and over again then you can't really do anything to "enjoy life" because your life already happened inifnite times before and must happen exactly the same way right now, and as such you have no control over it as it is all pre-destined, right?
>>
>>390749

Do you think the answer to that question will make you feel better or worse? Be careful what you ask for anon.
>>
>>390749
I think you are missing the point of the thought experiment. It has nothing to do with determinism in the sense you're discussing.
>>
File: Freddy's Wild Ride.jpg (36 KB, 492x366) Image search: [Google]
Freddy's Wild Ride.jpg
36 KB, 492x366
>>390744
Here is the really scarey part. The Eternal Recurrence is not impossible, the final fate of the universe as well as it's origin is not entirely known. There are models that do say the universe will die and be repeat eternally. There was actually a book that came out a few years back arguing that it would more or less happen as Nietzsche described it.
>>
>>390621
It's a philosophical exercise to determine whether you lived a moral* life or not

*Superman definition of moral
>>
>>390609
>What does this mean for people who are born with horrible genetic defects or those who are in excruciating pain all their life? Eternal agony?
It means nobody gives a fuck bout u anyway so fuck off and die.
>>
File: 1430896642932.jpg (246 KB, 1600x1143) Image search: [Google]
1430896642932.jpg
246 KB, 1600x1143
>>390609
it means that as soon as you accept samsara, as soon as you stop despising life, as soon as you stop being a nihilist, your existence changes in accessing a different perspective on existence. the eternal return is a surrender, an abdication of your self before your sufferings and joys stemming form your failure to fulfil your wish to live in hedonism, in avidity towards pleasures and aversion towards pains. once you abdicate, you destroy hedonism.
>>
File: abyss.png (556 KB, 598x934) Image search: [Google]
abyss.png
556 KB, 598x934
>>390609
The eternal recurrence is about life affirmation.

>What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.'
>>
File: YORE.jpg (121 KB, 400x508) Image search: [Google]
YORE.jpg
121 KB, 400x508
>>
Is Nietzsche Contra Wagner any good?
>>
File: girl.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
girl.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>391012
That sounds kind of like this.
>>
Here's my question, how do you dig yourself out of nihilism, if I didn't have such a survival instinct I'd of done as Seneca put it and 'turned up my wrists'.
>>
>>392260
Start by asking yourself why you consider meaning necessary.
>>
>>392263
Dam... I'm going to need to think about that.
>>
File: zarathustra2.jpg (65 KB, 640x615) Image search: [Google]
zarathustra2.jpg
65 KB, 640x615
>>392260
"I teach you the overman. Man is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him?
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment...
Behold, I teach you the overman. The overman is the meaning of the earth.Let your will say: the overman shall be the meaning of the earth!
>>
File: boobs is good.png (61 KB, 167x208) Image search: [Google]
boobs is good.png
61 KB, 167x208
>>392267
While you're at it, think about how horrible it is that people treat animals as objects and essentially restrict the freedom of nature to own pets and eat til they're fat fucks.
>>
>>392284
Why would that be horrible?
>>
>>392276
I was just thinking the other day a question, "is sophistication based on how many actions you can cringe at?"

Isn't this basically that?
>>
>>390864
Honestly I'd be OK with that. Endlessly repeating your life isn't so bad, and this is coming from a person with enough diseases to qualify as a Champion of Nurgle. It's certainly better than oblivion.
>>
>>392276
A.I is the overman.
>>
>>392766
While ideas like trans-humanism naturally lend itself to Nietzchianism, he isn't talking about just an upgrade in how many calculations a being can do per second. It's a man with a spirit and approach to life that produces a great man. For instance consider that the shift from Dark Age to Renaissance was caused by a change in attitude about life.

I'm not a believer in the idea that A.I. will replace humans, it may augment us. Nietzsche was a strong believer in the use of passion as a motivator. He believed that evolution did not make a mistake when it gave us emotions, on the contrary he reasoned that since it's such an old part of it us (relative to our reason which is a fairly recent evolution) that our passions are actually highly sophisticated and developed and should be weaponized. This is what an A.I. would lack.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.