[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/, I have a bit of a conundrum. When talking about race,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: parthenon1.jpg (125 KB, 640x435) Image search: [Google]
parthenon1.jpg
125 KB, 640x435
Hey /his/, I have a bit of a conundrum. When talking about race, I often find myself on the defensive because of the assertion that racism is an amalgam of bigotry and institutional power. First of all, where did this belief come from, and how do I dismantle the argument without mentioning a long list of inconsistencies that will simply tire out the debate? Thank you for your help.
>>
>>357302
Except that is what race is. There is no scientific basis for what "race" is, as it is just grouping a variety of different ethnicities together by subjective and ultimately unscientific characteristics (such as shade of skin).

A good example of how this is shown is by comparing modern Jews genetically. Jews from Arabia and Jews from Europe have similar genetic ancestry even if they look different. Even the elite of Beta Israel in Ethiopia share strong genetic connections, despite the fact that they are black while Ashkenazi Jews are white.

If you want to be scientific and accurate, you can talk about ethnicity, but "race" has no objectivity.
>>
>and institutional power

That's some horseshit neo-Marxists identitarians added to the definition.

Racism is just hatred or preferential treatment of other races, that's it.
>>
>>357503

This, the second sentence anyway. Institutional power is just racism that's being backed by the state.
>>
>>357352
You're missing the point. Exchange race for ethnicity and I still run into the same problem: "ethnicism is bigotry plus institutional power." How do I solve this?
>>
>>357516
see >>357503
>>
Basically, it's a way of guarding themselves from criticism. They want to set up the parameters of the discussion such that the definitions they're using don't allow their premises to be questioned. Don't bother arguing with these people, it's a waste of your energy.
>>
its cuz ur a bigot OP desu senpai
>>
>>357503
I then run into another problem. They talk about how a lexiconical definition is not enough to be able describe such a huge problem; of course their answer is a theoretical definition which they insist on being the default definition. I have to clarify to them that most people don't understand what lexiconical even means. Now I know this is bullshit, but how do I articulate it?
>>
>>357527
I have to argue with them. Not for their sakes, but for the sakes of those around us. Not arguing with these peope is why we are where we are.
>>
>>357559
You can't argue with them. They're weaving language so that they just cannot be incorrect. What you need to figure out is how to expose them as the narcissists they are and encourage others to dismiss them until they change their tune and actually allow constructive discourse.
>>
>>357579
That is so depressing. But I think you might be right.
>>
>357352

Beta Israel and Yemenite Jews show some relationship but they are outliers to other Jewish communities.

You are thinking the Buba clan of Lemba who have the Cohen Marker, but that is not intact unique to Jews.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.