[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be a history teacher /his/. How shitty should I expect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
I want to be a history teacher /his/. How shitty should I expect my life to be if I continue down this career path?
>>
The fact that you have to work for a living at all means you're a working class pleb who is going to have a shit life regardless what he does.
>>
File: 1429200745129.jpg (253 KB, 2048x1447) Image search: [Google]
1429200745129.jpg
253 KB, 2048x1447
>>354024
> wagekek
This meme is getting a little old. I want to be productive to some degree, even if it's just fulfilling personal goals
>>
>Hard, thankless work unappreciated by the students by and large.
>Student wrangling and institutional bullshit overshadowing actual history teaching.
>A curriculum that's often inaccurate, dull or disgustingly biased.
>Minimal pay, especially considering the time you'd have to put in after hours.
>People looking down at you because you're in humanities instead of STEM.
>Pissing off the wrong student's parents can really mess up your shit.

It's the ability to take all this in stride, with only a handful of great examples to the contrary (awesome students, etc..) that would make or break you as a teacher.
>>
Of it depends on what level of education you will be doing this, is it high school or lower then a big majority of students will dislike your class if college or university you get people that chose to some extent for history but I image on that level you will need to spend alot of time around the classes preparing and whatever else you need to do
>>
>>354207
Teaching a college class isn't a guarantee students will like it. I'm a history student and I've had plenty of bad teachers and teachers who just didn't connect with students.
>>
>>354117
OP could always become a professor and teach interesting history courses at some liberal arts college and do research.
>>
>>354019

I thought it would be great, but then you realize you have to teach the shitty bureaucratically produced shit version of propaganda the state tells you to, then you realize none of the students will like it, and then you realize the vast majority of your job will be getting jamal to stay still and shut up in class and if you arent careful, parents will sue you and get you fired because you told their retarded garbage of human beings children to "shut up" after they screamed obscenities at you and other students.

Also, you will be paid next to nothing and have no benefits.
>>
>>354253
Has this been your personal experience then?
>>
>>354117
The institutional bullshit and pissing off parents is what concerns me the most. As far as being looked down upon and underappreciated, I'm not too concerned. Although I'm curious as to what control I would have over curriculum. I'm assuming it would depend on where I would work, but I'd put most of my effort into interesting/accurate taching of the subject. I'm sure it's harder than I make it sound
>>
>>354426

no, this is based off of several teachers I know. One of them took a job at this "special learning center" thinking it was about helping poor kids learn shit for school, but its really just a place to keep them busy for the day. They basically just take all the basket cases and bad kids and just put them in this shithole where the teachers are glorified babysitters.

also, teachers can tell from the time these kids are like 6 which ones will graduate highschool and which ones will end up dead at 16 so they pick and choose their battles and who they will attempt to teach.
>>
>>354444
I'm assuming that job was his only option at the time. Could it be possible that he just picked a shit job without realizing?
>>
>>354218
But there certainly would be a greater chance that at least a more sizable portion of the class are taking it because they want to. In high school you don't really have a choice.
>>
>>354019
Depends on where you live/work.
>>
>>354019
It's only worth it as a freelancer
>>
Get ready to teach holocaust studies 50% of the time
>>
It really depends on where you are and your own temperament, but I will say I'm in community college and my current Western Civ I teacher speaks several languages and has taught at Universities.

The man is probably the in the top 5 of well educated people I've met and this includes a man who made several schools of science look trivial. He'd be researching if he didn't actually love teaching.

>>355953
???

There's a lot to be disappointed with in the common approach to teaching history, but I don't think it's as bad as you must think it is.
>>
>>356605
When you say "research", what exactly would that entail for a history teacher?
>>
>>354218
Not to mention that, at least here in my country, they don't care if you wanna study let's say classic ancient history. You gotta study it all from the paleolithic to the War of Iraq. Too bad if you don't like it or you already did it in highschool.
>>
>>356779
I meant the
>several schools of science
man.

My old physics teacher has masters across physics, chemistry, and geology.

I couldn't understand why he'd become a teacher with his level of education until I graduated high school.

A true love of education and youth.
>>
>>356867
My bad, misread. That is truly noble of him.
>>
in an ideal world i'd love to teach history, but because of bullshit like >>354117 i don't think it would be worth it.
>>
>>356939
Anyone of those points in particular bug you? I feel like most would be able to muscle through at least some of them if they're determined. But again, easier said than done.
>>
>>356955
Not him, but the idea of being trapped in a curriculum and Tyche forbid being forced to teach something incorrect or overly simplified would trigger autism.
>>
>>356955
basically what >>356967 said

i had some great history teachers while i was in high school, but even they were forced to adhere to a painfully simplified, biased, and at times inaccurate curriculum. plus there's such a strong focus on getting kids to pass standardized tests, often to the detriment of their actual learning experience.
>>
>>356967
What is honestly the likelihood of that happening though? I highly doubt that a decent school of any kind would intentionally teach something that's just flat wrong. There might be different interpretation that would be required, but I guess that's just something teachers have to put up with.
>>
>>356989
So I suppose shooting for a higher ed teaching position would be out of the question then? I'd assume it would be at least a little more acedemic in that situation.
>>
>>354442
don't worry about "concerned parents" you literally just tell them to take it up with your superiors, and if they are not total retards your ass will be fine
>>
>>357004
from what i hear it's increasingly difficult to break into higher ed. i don't want to put myself through the phd route to find that my only employment opportunity is an adjunct position at a community college that i'll only hold for a semester anyway.
>>
File: feels.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
what do i do bros
here i am training to be a history professor
i've wanted to be one ever since high school and when life finally seems to be going right for me with my good grades and everything, i hear it is increasingly hard to not only get a masters+phd, but to also get a job in the field, I just want to share my knowledge and love of history, i don't care if its with high school students or college students, but i feel like i'm just going to hit a wall and be stuck here forever
>>
>>356998

They're teach what they're told to teach if it means their funding may be threatened.
>>
>>357029
If it was easy, everyone would do it. I doubt it was easy for the professors working at universities with tenure right now back how ever many years ago.
>>
>>357071
but at least they had a much better chance of actually finding employment after they went through the trials and tribulations of graduate studies. i'm not going to go through all of that if my chances of finding a job afterwards are slim.
>>
>>357071
they had a better chance then than we do now
way too many fucking people in colleges now
>>
>>354019
Teach AP if you can. But not US History, as that's going down fast. European History or World History might not be so bad.
>>
Currently a history student going for PhD. I know that I can only be happy if I spend my life in academics/teaching.
>>
>>357044
same tbqh family
I am still going to go for it because I don't have a passion for anything else.
>>
>>357044
It is really hard, you have to be downright exceptional to get a university position. Or at least rub shoulders very well.

I would really go into academia if it's your overriding passion above everything else. If the idea of doing anything else, no matter how well paying, would be less satisfying.
>>
>>357234
that's what i'm doing anon,
if this doesn't work out i might join the USAF and just be a cop, at least then i can still help people
>>
>>357244
join USAF, then after leaving be a cop*
>>
I've wanted to teach history in high school since first taking World History in sophomore year. It's an important time in a person's life, and I want to impart my own passion for the subject to these kids in their formative years. If I can help even one student awaken an interest and appreciation for history, I can die a happy man.
>>
>>357361
Same. I truly believe that if people are passionate enough about it, being a history teacher or working in a field that deals with history can be a viable means of living, it just takes a lot of work. Same goes for music, which is what I used to study before realizing it wasn't my passion, history was.
>>
>>357161
The professors/advisors I've talked to at the University I'll be transferring to this year have all suggested I look into a history degree with a minor in world history. Apparently it is a going teaching field that has a good chance of being implemented more in schools in the future
>>
>>357200
Good. It's important to know what you want out of life. How I'd your PhD program? What/where are you studying?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.