[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did the Mongols give to the world?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: 1Genghis-300px.jpg (49 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
1Genghis-300px.jpg
49 KB, 300x392
Well, what did they give to the world? Any renown philosophers or scientists? Any relevant cultural figures? Any social reforms that affected the rest of the world in a lasting legacy?

The only things people mention is
>muh postal service
>muh meritocracy

but that's irrelevant and had no impact on history. I'm not saying the Mongol empire didn't affect history or that it was bad obviously, but its only contribution was per se; it helped some backwater nations to get their shit together and unite, but it didn't produce anything of value to last.
>>
>or that it was bad
Except it was bad. It resulted into one of the greatest human catastrophes in history, Russia and the Middle East are shitholes to this day precisely because of the Mongols.
>>
>>349735
Meme empire that did very little outside of killing and destroying. Gets peoples pants wet so I guess that's a merit
>>
>>349742
>Except it was bad. It resulted into one of the greatest human catastrophes in history,
Just the conquered's slander. I've never actually saw or heard any sources claiming that living inside the Mongol empire, or at least Mongolia proper, was bad. And Baghdad was asking for it. He just did conquering better than anyone else at the time.

> Russia and the Middle East are shitholes to this day precisely because of the Mongols.
Not true, especially for Russia.
>>
The Black Plague
The destruction of intellectual life of Islam outside of Turkey
Rape of Russia, another reason why Russia is shit
Lead to the rise of Mamluks and Babyar
Upwards of 30 million direct casualties

Perhaps if there was any event in the east to precipitate the rise of the West as dominant, this would be it.
>>
>>349788
Are you implying Russia isn't a shithole?
>>
>>349794
No, I'm implying Russia is a shithole for entirely different reasons.
>>
>>349801
>power shifting from the enlightened Novgorodians to the Muscovite Mongol tax collectors

The typical problems of Russia such as nepotism, corruption, police state and autocracy cranked up to 11 are the direct result of that.
>>
>>349815
contemporary politics because of something that was 700 years ago is kind of a stretch...
>>
the black death(which caused massive loss of life , enough to break the feudal system that could no longer be supported like it had...making way for the middle-classes)

re-establishment of the silk-road which helped these same middle-classes become rich(Italian citie states particularly),this inturn freed people up and gave them time to think about stuff...starting the supposed renaissance(or atleast giving it a good kick)

formation of Russia as a eventual state

sent the muslims back around 400-600 years,leading to complete domination by western powers later on)

and there is somemore but I'm tired so meh
>>
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/was-genghis-khan-historys-greenest-conqueror
>>
>>349853
It isn't.

The same with islamic world, you can pinpoint the rise of radical islam to the Mongol conquests, the destruction of Baghdad and teachings of Ibn Taymiyyah.
>>
>>349868
but that's what I stated. It only gave opportunities, it didn't actually produce anything. Or did it?
>>
File: 1438069078760.jpg (36 KB, 480x527) Image search: [Google]
1438069078760.jpg
36 KB, 480x527
>>349793
>>349868
>the mongols caused the black death
>>
>Buttmad conquest victims
>>
>>349891
well the silk road as directly caused by the mongols,and if they hadn't done it no-one would have(there was no one even remotely capable on either side so that is one thing the mongols directly effected
>>
File: 1437692150325.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1437692150325.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>349920
>>
>>349911

well,they did,if not for the mongols allowing it's spread it would have just been another plague in china....
>>
They gave us glorious throat singing
>>
>>349911
>From Central Asia it was carried east and west along the Silk Road, by Mongol armies and traders making use of the opportunities of free passage within the Mongol Empire offered by the Pax Mongolica. It was reportedly first introduced to Europe at the trading city of Caffa in the Crimea in 1347. After a protracted siege, during which the Mongol army under Jani Beg was suffering the disease, they catapulted the infected corpses over the city walls to infect the inhabitants. The Genoese traders fled, bringing the plague by ship into Sicily and the south of Europe, whence it spread.
>>
>>349735
>what good did they do
I don't really get this attitude towards empires and ancient people. It just seems like a juvenile way of looking at history.
>>
>>349935
>>349946
Wasn't the plague carried by fleas on rats? As I understand it, rats wouldn't have been carried from Asia to Europe by caravans, as they were small and compact, as well as unsteady enough for rats to not settle in the carts or whatnot. Ships are a haven for rats, though, so as I see it the plague was carried by boat from China to India to the Middle East to Europe, not over the Mongol-controlled Central Asian routes.
>>
File: 1447959367027.gif (403 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1447959367027.gif
403 KB, 500x372
>>349978

soo...what you're saying is that there is no way for people wit plague infested fleas could spread the plague?...okay...
>>
>>350022
Fleas are very particular with their hosts, each species of flea only attaches to one species of animal, ie dog fleas are different from cat fleas. human fleas are different form rat fleas, etc, so it couldn't have been possible for caravan traders to spread the plague unless they had rats with the plague fleas, which being on a caravan they wouldn't have.
>>
>>349735
They killed the muslims real good so I like them.
>>
>>350066
Many of the Mongols were Muslims themselves, though, as were some of the empires that rose up following their breakup, the Timurids or the Golden Horde, for example.
>>
>>349973
not what good, what noteworthy works - in any sphere - did they do
>>
>>349978
There is actually a theory that the plague came from fleas on Central Asian marmots, not rats, allowing it to spread overland.
>>
File: 1433126865545.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1433126865545.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
>>350102
So constructing the largest continuous empire ever by defeating some of the most advanced civilizations of their time not good enough? Their military was light years beyond any contemporaries. All of this a acomplished by primitive tribesmen. What more do you want? No they didn't invent democracy or some shit cause they didn't give a fuck. They wanted to conquer and they did. It is silly to me to impose our values on ancient people. Yes all of their great accomplishments revolved around killing people. Cause thats all they cared about.
>>
>>349793
>didn't mention destruction of China even though they suffered the most

Euro-centrism everybody
>>
>>349735
.5% of the world's population can trace their lineage back to ghengis khan and his family, that's quite a bit of an impact considering how many people that is.
>>
Mongol dominance really increased trade across the old Silk Road. They also respected all religious and weren't as sectarian as catholics or muslims were.
>>
File: 1439051343904.jpg (49 KB, 345x383) Image search: [Google]
1439051343904.jpg
49 KB, 345x383
>Mongolia still exists
>>
File: Shah Suleiman.jpg (37 KB, 230x297) Image search: [Google]
Shah Suleiman.jpg
37 KB, 230x297
>>349735
not so much them but their descendants built some nice mosques n' shit
>>
>>350717
>tfw just recently found out Macedonia was a country
>>
Nice music and interesting culture. More than Muzzies have ever given us.

The way they violated the pompous Caliphate and Chinese was pretty noice too.
>>
File: c9a.png (168 KB, 328x327) Image search: [Google]
c9a.png
168 KB, 328x327
>>352721
>more than Muzzies have ever given to us
what is algebra, chemistry,trigonometry..etc..
>>
>>349889
>you can pinpoint the rise of radical islam to the Mongol conquest
Nah. Islamic suicidalism/fatalism can be traced to Jesus Christ.
>>
>>349973
>It just seems like a juvenile way of looking at history

It is.
>>
>>350280
>not making europeans the center of every discussion ever

Lo, this man's wife doth fornicate with moors.
>>
>>350717

>america still exists and they celebrate national genocide day every year

Nuke the USA when?
>>
>>352756
>lists of stuff that muslims learned from Mediterranean merchants
>>
>>349735
>Well, what did they give to the world?

Eurocentrism. Mongols could have possibly saved western civilization by taking a huge shit on the at the time stronger alternative.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.