[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the role of the Ottamans in WW1?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1448593881225.jpg (67 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
1448593881225.jpg
67 KB, 500x314
What was the role of the Ottamans in WW1?
>>
>>349142

Kuking aussies
>>
>>349142
Germans used them to harass brits in Middle East and Russians in Caucasus. Of course they fucked up horribly doing both and collapsed.
>>
>>349142

>Ottoman empire is on the decline
>desperate for new military hardware and funding
>know they need to enter the war to stay relevant
>flip a coin and choose Germany basically
>Germany give them guns and shekels
>all is good
>except they lose the war and a bunch of their territory to the british and french
>they also slaughtered a bunch of armenian, asyrian, and greek christians during this time to but have become dindus about it
>>
Bogging down the Brits in the Middle East
>>
>>349142
I learned everything I know about the Ottomans in WW1 watching The Great War channel on Youtube.
>>
>>349142
Read a book nigger. Also the Brits did a good job at just fucking themselves up too. I think it was Gallipoli, where it was supposed to be a "surprise" attack and naval landing, but the British ships just loitered off shore for days... Obviously the Turks saw the concentration of stuff and brought in guys to reinforce.
>>
>>349252
Did Churchill have something to do with that screw up or did Churchill screw something else up in that theater? I know he fucked something up.
>>
Murdering minorities and running away, except for gallipoli, Ataturk made the Ottoman armies there do something useful.
>>
Crushing down angolos with no survivors.
>>
>>349310
I believe he was one of the British high commands that were in charge in planning the attack. He vastly underestimated Turkish defences and his battle plan relied on a quick victory based on poor Turkish tactics and their limited ammo
>>
>>349900
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I seem to recall something about him putting a lot of emphasis on naval strength in his attack plan and when the ships got there they just sat around and did nothing. IDK.
>>
>>349923
you're correct the allied forces bombarded the shit out of the Gallipoli. while they were successful at targetting the outer forts and coastal batteries, the inner defences were largely untouched because of little to none reconnaissance prior to the bombardment so when the forces landed they were met with another whole new line of defences.
>>
>>349986
Also Turks had some sea mines that fucked them really bad.
>>
>>349310
Yeah he was a navy minister. Wanted to use old obsolete ships. Turkey mined the harbor. Fucked everything up. Weeks later start the land invasion. Boned at Gallipoli
>>
>>349142
Collapse and genocide Christians in the east
>>
>>349142
Genociding Armenians and Assyrians.
>>
Read "A Peace to end all Peace", by Fromkin.
Basically they begged Germans to ally with them.
>>
Also, Churchill did nothing wrong, he wasn't even supporting Gallipoli, he just supported naval attack.
Which ALMOST succeeded. De Robeck, guy who commanded attack, pussied out and Churchill tried everything to force him to attack but Sea Lords blocked him.
War could've been won in 1915.
>>
>>349236
>>flip a coin and choose Germany basically
Nigga what?
The Ottomans were furious with the Entente for several reasons, one of which being that they invested a fuckton of cash into the British building modern ships for them, but the British just say "sorry we need these and you don't get a refund" when the war kicked off. They also weren't friendly with the Russians due to the Crimean war just a few years prior to WWI. It certainly wasn't a "coin toss"
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.