[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you embraced the absurdity and ultimate meaninglessness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1363170192119.png (101 KB, 1585x1527) Image search: [Google]
1363170192119.png
101 KB, 1585x1527
Why haven't you embraced the absurdity and ultimate meaninglessness of life yet, /his/? We will all die, and the universe will eventually burn out. Everything notable that has happened throughout history will be forgotten about and it will all return to oblivion.

I swear after embracing nihilism I've become a much freer and happier person as a result.
>>
File: he right.jpg (139 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
he right.jpg
139 KB, 600x404
>>18893
Fuck makes you think I haven't?
>>
Nihilist reporting in
>>
>>18893
Can we clarify burn out? The most accepted model of the universe is that it will continue to expand indefinitely. Matter on the Grand scheme will become more and more diluted. Eventually virtually all energy will be locked inside dead stars, and that the universe will drop to a temperature near 0K. Of course there are also theories that allow for the possibility of a contracted universe (big crunch) as well as options for black holes to release all their energy back into the universe. Of course, I'm not schooled enough on astronomy to go into more detail. Regardless, of course we'll die. Although in another sense, all we are to begin with is energy, which will exist indefinitely. So in a sense we are immortal. Just your specific, ultra-narrow consciousness is not.
>>
>>18893

I remember when I was 16 OP!
>>
>>19440
That's why you can't browse 4chan yet, m8.
>>
>>19356

>The most accepted model of the universe is that it will continue to expand indefinitely.

No, no it's not. Do you get your science facts from /r/science?
>>
>>19356
relative density down
relative temperature down
relatively though we are already made up of mostly empty space on the atomic level.
whats a little more empty space?
>>
>>19356
>So in a sense we are immortal. Just your specific, ultra-narrow consciousness is not.

shaking my head so hard desu

sophistry at its finest
>>
>>19356
iirc heat death is still the most accepted theory

anyways eventually the universe will die or it'll become inhospitable to life. feels good t bh
>>
Read some philosophy of being
>>
File: nietzsche strong.jpg (44 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche strong.jpg
44 KB, 607x608
>>18893
Absolutely decadent
>>
>>19440
Lucky. The first 16 years of my life were kinda hazy for me i am still meeting with random craziness that happened at that time and i only remember a few things from that time i threw away so many golden opportunities.
>>
>>18893
honestly I agree

I think much of the suffering and unhappiness throughout humanity has to do with people trying to find inherent meaning where it doesn't exist

nihilism is honestly the most optimistic philosophy there is: ultimately nothing will matter, so go out and have as much fun as you can.
>>
>>19578
Actually I got it from a university professor with a doctoral degree in astronomy who has worked on numerous projects for NASA and other reputable agencies.
>implying I even go to reddit
>>
>>19713
Heat death is confusing, because the theory is actually discussing the lack of heat. As the universe cools, it will eventually reach a point where particles will move slowly, or not at all (0K).
>>
>>18893
Babby's first philosophical thoughts. How cute.
>>
>>19356
>So in a sense we are immortal.

No. Not in any sense are we immortal.
>>
>>18893
Why not kill yourself?
>>
>>20540
Alright f am. Have fun trying to find meaning where none exists.
>>
>>20560
You could.

Or you could decide to enjoy yourself as much as you can before you fade out.
>>
>>18893
You know what you got to do? Leap of faith! It's the only way to overcome the despair of finitude!

I'm telling you OP, it changed my life. My friend Johannes Climacus did it twice.
>>
>>20560
>implying that just because life may be ultimately meaningless you cannot create your own meaning for it
>>
>>20585
In doing that you're making a conscious choice, ie you're picking one thing over the other because it's better. Whether you realize it or not, you've given pleasure meaning, and you're no longer a nihilist.

>>20698
If you can create meaning then it's not "ultimately meaningless"
>>
>>20751
I'm nihilist in the sense that I don't believe in an ultimate objective meaning to life. But I do believe people can create their own meanings.
>>
File: -like-tears-in-rain-.png (226 KB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
-like-tears-in-rain-.png
226 KB, 960x400
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 468x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 468x314
>>20839
Pro tip: you're not a nihilist.

Pic related
>>
>>20839
You're just a hedonist, I could make an argument but I'd rather go to bed
>objective
I'll direct you to this guy >>19727
>>
>>21102
>>21104
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism

disagreed t bh
>>
>>21229
With an an emphasis on the existentialism. It differs from straight nihilism.

Go read some Camus.
>>
>>21355
Yet when people refer to nihilism, they are usually referring to existential nihilism.

>Of all types of nihilism, existential nihilism gets the most literary and philosophical attention.[2]

>Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[
>>
>>20565

>find

try "create"
>>
bitches don't know bout poincare recurrence

see all ya'll niggas in a zillion years ya'll
>>
>>18893
>it will all return to oblivion.
IT ALL COMES TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOOOOWWWWN
>>
>>23205
>create your own meaning
When will this meme die

You can't pull meaning out of your arse.

The psychological experience of meaning ≠ meaning per se.

That's just forcing yourself into being blissfully ignorant. It's the opposite of philosophically valid.
>>
File: 1435535663925.jpg (266 KB, 530x397) Image search: [Google]
1435535663925.jpg
266 KB, 530x397
>>18893
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.