[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pooping Through the Ages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: pooping.png (490 KB, 712x487) Image search: [Google]
pooping.png
490 KB, 712x487
How have various societies dealt with the universal experience of pooping?

I've been thinking about this lately. I was prompted by the common joke of "women don't poop", which is essentially poking fun at ideas of feminine purity by contrasting it with the silly notion that they do not, in fact, poop which is viewed as an inherently vulgar, gross, whatever you want to call it, act. Consider also the joke from The Interview about Kim Jong Un which says that, because he runs at maximum efficiency, he does not poop and his butthole is "purely decorative". A necessity of the deification and purification of the Supreme Leader is to deny such vulgar acts. It's even used later in the film when Kim Jong Un poops himself on television, which signals the humanizing of the man, showing him as a mere equal to the people.

So I want to know about previous ages and their own experiences with this. Have they viewed pooping not as a base act? Has it been merely mocked? Etc.
>>
File: hanouthouse.jpg (13 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
hanouthouse.jpg
13 KB, 300x278
>>345192
Feudal/Early Imperial China BY FAR has the most disgusting Ancient Toilet: this shit.

It is an outhouse typical of rural China of the time. Basically you shit and then the shit slides to the shitpig. Which happily eats your shit. Though aparently it is also the food-waste disposal of rural communities and thats where they threw their leftovers: along with the shit to the shitpig.

Eventually in the Han Dynasty, the rural Chinese realized that this is a flawed system due to diseases and replaced the shitpig with urban removable septic tank, which could be used for fertilizer.
>>
The romans had shared public toilets where you could discuss current affairs whilst shitting.
>>
>>345226

Hah that is super interesting. Use of it as fertilizer is a particularly interesting element, especially nowadays. I am not super familiar with previous uses of fecal matter, hence making this thread. However I have noticed we are very much so impractical in our use of shit, not even using human waste as fertilizer but merely as waste. Something to be disposed of, not just another tool which is especially weird in an age that often emphasizes recycling and reusing.
>>
>>345258

So culturally they didn't view it terribly negatively? More so as another activity that was far less stigmatized?
>>
>>345226

not much worse than 17th century france where people literally threw buckets of shit and piss out of their window.
>>
>>345192
PAJEET MY SON
>>
In china today pooping is not really stigmatized. They treat it as more of a health concern. Its not unusual to habe a casual conversation about your bowel movements.

That being said, I am kind of appalled by such conversation. I think all of our words for excrement are just really nasty.
>>
>>345192
Koreans and Japanese used to make wine and medicine out of human shit

Also the ancient Korean government used to have a doctor specialized in analyzing the king's shit.

And the king usually has to take his shit in front of several of his maids who has to attend to him.
>>
>>347710
poop turd fart log loaf
>>
>>345192
>Pooping Through the Ages
aka
EPIC SHIT
>>
>>345192
Shitting is what convinced me to be a Manichean tbqh
>>
On another note, when is pooping going to evolve?

We wipe the doody with dry toilet paper, it's pretty disgusting when you think about it. You wouldn't use a dry paper towel if you got some poo on your hands, you would wash them. We need bidets to become more popular.
>>
>>349072
That's why I time my shits to be before my showers.
First I take a shit, then I wipe the most I can, then I shower. Anyone that doesn't do this is a degenerate.
>>
File: viking-ship-model12.jpg (51 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
viking-ship-model12.jpg
51 KB, 500x329
>>345192
Those people had to poop in front of everyone right? it must have been quite embarrassing trying to make a name as a great warrior while
having to poop in front of so many man every day.
>>
>>349146
they fucked publicly in the longhouses I doubt taking a shit in front of others would phase them

also
>killing a bunch of monks
>great warrior

sure
>>
>>345192
You know, to add on to this, I'm really curious just how important and how much of an effect sanitation and related practices had on history.

Also, I'm curious how the body and bodily functions have been perceived throughout history and across cultures.
>>
>>345226
Uh, wouldn't the pig just poop the shit out again? Doesn't seem like a terribly effective disposal ssytem.
>>
>>349221
I didn't say that they were, only that they were trying to be, i would imagine that if someone was ambitious to become a vassal or something he would want to keep a good image,
i think that because while sex or rape could be viewed as power shitting was pretty much always considered a form of insult, embarrassment etc.
>>
File: 50350228[1].jpg (110 KB, 462x348) Image search: [Google]
50350228[1].jpg
110 KB, 462x348
>>
>>349084
this, it's shit, shower, shave in that order
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.