[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decline in power of the British Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: th.jpg (8 KB, 300x150) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8 KB, 300x150
So I've got a 12 page research paper for my History of England class due in 2 days on Friday. We didn't really get this far but I've decided to do my paper on the decline in power of the English Empire.

I wanted to ask you all: What do you think are the biggest factors to the decline in power of the British Empire?

Obviously I'm not going to be referencing to or really using anything from here but it'll give me a starting point of what I should and shouldn't research and how I'll lay out my paper. I don't wanna waste time researching stuff I'm not gonna use since I've only got two days left to write this thing.
>>
>12 page
Are there still idiots that don't go by word count?
>>
>>343098
Relative decline of the firepower available for deployment relative to the needs created by the empire.

The UK could never sustain an empire that big in the late 20th century, it could never bring overwhelming strength into one problem area. This was possible in the past, with more isolated rebellions being sustainable to smaller British units, making the empire both affordable and worthwhile. By at least the 1920's it was clear that the UK had lost the monopoly of firepower on the seas, and new innovations like airpower could not make up the gap in power lost.
>>
>>343106
Well it's not so much as a hard 12 page minimum as a general idea of about how long it should end up being based on how much information students generally get in per page.
>>
>>343098
They chose to step back and manipulate the weaker countries into doing their work for them, having already proved that they were the greatest people on Earth they realized that they could live a much comfier existence without having to deal with smelly colonials and putting themselves at risk

Oh how I wish I were British (Not Scottish though)
>>
>2 days to write a 12 page paper.
>Not even started and relying on 4chan

Do you really see yourself finishing this?
>>
>>343133
Yeah I know I will. I did my 12 page paper for Ancient Civilizations last semester in a day and got a B+ on it.
>>
>>343098
Commercial monopolies. All the power was based on goods produced only in some lands under monopolists' control - goods exported in other lands by a bunch of monopolists, sold at a determined price. No direct sale allowed, e.g., between india and usa. This led to american revolution, british empire had to face concorrency and it fell. Colonialist lords had a lot to gain from direct sale instead of selling to a monopolist at a pre determined price and they rose against the empire.

Is this a good idea to start? The biggest difference between british empire and roman or byzantium was that british empire was based on commerce rather than on military control and annexion. When the crown lost control on commerce they lost the empire
>>
>>343164
I've already got about a page and a half's worth of notes on the impact that the economy had but that's definitely a good thing to point out that I haven't mentioned.

I probably should've narrowed my topic a little more but I've already got a couple of pages worth of notes and I don't wanna start over. There's just so much information about this stuff that it gets kinda difficult to decide what I should and shouldn't include. I'm just looking to examine the main factors, not EVERY factor.
>>
>>343098
>using English and British interchangeably
You've already failed

t. your professor
>>
>>343144

>B+

You High School level nigga? What kind of barbaric grading system is this?
>>
>>343098

>English History Class
>British Empire

Fucking yankee doodles.
>>
>>343098
>History of England
Is it legitimately called this?
>>
Liberal fags crying about muh colonization muh evil white man
It was was the US president that pushed for the independence of India, Churchill told him to fuck off but the liberal cocksucker after him willing did it
>>
>>343124
>Oh how I wish I were British (Not Scottish though)

What's wrong with the Scots?
>>
Failure to invest in chemistry and production line-based industry. Combined with the opening up of rivals with relatively untapped natural resources such as the US and Germany
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.