[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just been reading up on the Kaaba in Mecca. I'm a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Muslims-praying-Mecca.jpg (83 KB, 610x411) Image search: [Google]
Muslims-praying-Mecca.jpg
83 KB, 610x411
Just been reading up on the Kaaba in Mecca. I'm a little confused- it was a site for polytheistic pagan idols and rituals, and yet it's simultaneously the holiest site in Islam? That'd be like making the Pantheon in Rome the holiest site in Christianity, surely. I don't get it.
Not even a bait thread.
>>
>>336147
It's not difficult

>Abraham builds the first shrine to God
>eventually Pagans take over
>turn it into a shrine for their Idols
>Muhammad clears it out and turns it back into the main shrine for God

Try reading the Quran instead of interpretations, it's the original source on the theology.

>[22:26] We appointed Abraham to establish the Shrine: "You shall not idolize any other god beside Me, and purify My shrine for those who visit it, those who live near it, and those who bow and prostrate.

>[2:125] We have rendered the shrine (the Ka'aba) a focal point for the people, and a safe sanctuary. You may use Abraham's shrine as a prayer house. We commissioned Abraham and Ismail: "You shall purify My house for those who visit, those who live there, and those who bow and prostrate."
>>
I can't speak about that directly but often times customs and places of older religions get folded into newer religions to convert populaces.

It's easier to hang up an under new management sign outside then it is to go the conquest route. Or just explain that what the locals were worshipping was merely the same religion only looked at without certain understanding and its all actually the same thing.

Happened a lot.
>>
>>336158
Ah, thanks, that makes it a lot clearer. Still, it's interesting that they didn't consider it permanently tainted (but I'm not really clear on if Islam can ever consider something to be 'corrupted').
>>
The age of spoonfeeding
>>
>>336147
Most of Muslim dosen't even read Quran and they don't know any shit about Islam except their religious duties, well, at least in Turkey.

As for in their time, Allah was all ready a god for araps. But in short, Muhammed couldn't dare to fuck with Kaaba becasu of possible harsh feedback of people.So as he lowered number of god's to one and called it Allah; he lowered number of idol's to one and called Kaaba.
>>
>>336198
Fuck off, mate.
>>
>>336218
I'm guessing that Islamic scholars don't accept that view, though? I'm assuming that's a western historical view.
>>
>>336231
They don't. He's implying Muhammad made it up. Whereas they, and most western scholars, actually think Muhammad believed in and used the God of Christianity and Judaism for his new religion, called "The God" or Al-lah.

He denounced all the other Gods because monotheism is the core tenant and most important aspect of Islam.
>>
>>336243
I didn't imply he made it up, he choose one god from other pagan gods and mixed it Abrahamic religion and his culture, that's all. He is a quite a believer himself but not in a way you would think.
>>
>>336271
That's wrong though. He didn't choose one God from the pagan Gods. He rejected all the Pagan Gods. The God he chose was the God of Abraham.

You're making your whole point simply because the chief God of the Arabian Pantheon was also called Allah, but the God of the Arab Christians and Arab Jews was called Allah too. It's the word for God.
>>
>>336231
>I'm assuming that's a western historical view

Unless you actually belive in the Quran as the word of God, then that is the view.
>>
>>336297
ALLAHUUUUUUUUUUU AKBARRRRRRRRRRRRR

No, I don't. I'm just asking if that view is given any kind of credence in Islam whatsoever, and now I realise what a dumb question that was. My bad.
>>
Abraham is a mythical person the Ka'ba was dedicated to Hubal, so a tribal place of worshiping the moon goddess.
>>
>>336163
The only thing permanently impure is 'impure' things itself like feces, pig, etc. Even impure things will be purified by nature.

Idols was just a mere stone and woods. There's nothing impure about stone and woods.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.