[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9
File: 7480010_1.jpg (298 KB, 900x625) Image search: [Google]
7480010_1.jpg
298 KB, 900x625
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork,
>classical artwork

There are no threads on /his/ about art. So let's start one. Anyone out here studying the fine history of art? Or art in general?
I study history of Social Science & Economics. But art always interested me, but i know only a little about it. Anyway, today i wandered into a nice little antique shop and i bought this oil on canvas painting for 20 bucks. Seemed like a bargain first, til later i found out that's it's only an oil print on canvas. (2bh i didn't even know that this is a thing). But i don't mind, it looks kinda cool. So from what i gathered is that it's probably German, ca. 1900, oil-print and not worth much but I'd like to read the name. Anyone else got a similar problem? Art that no one knows the origin from? Something antique you'd like to know the actual worth of?

tl;dr Try to read the name of the artist and do you collect art
>>
File: 7480010.jpg (301 KB, 900x652) Image search: [Google]
7480010.jpg
301 KB, 900x652
this is the full painting if someone is interested
>>
Hah, found the original. The name means Rudolf Guba and he was a mildly accomplished painter in the early 20th century. He made copies of his own work (I don't know why) and the copies are worth 100 Euros while the original is worth 1000. But i don't want to sell it, because there are like 10 copies out there. Who copies his own art? Anyway, no one answered, so i just ask again: Anyone into art?

>pic related, one of the copies.

See how mine is more blue/greenish and this one is full of red tones. Interesting thing i found. If it wasn't for the (lack of) money, antique salesman would be totally something for me.
>>
Yes, hello. I've got an Art History degree, got any questions?

My favourite period is 17th century dutch by the way.
>>
I've always had a particular thing for the Dutch style. Don't know what it is, but there's just something about the colors and lighting
>>
>>331287

Probably has to do with the restricted tonal range and more naturalistic (if heightened) illumination compared to the Italians
>>
>>331287
I agree with the lightning and colours, but their themes are too mundane and plain for my tastes.
>>
File: 2.back.jpg (144 KB, 600x296) Image search: [Google]
2.back.jpg
144 KB, 600x296
>>331487
You know, I think that does address it pretty well. I tend to like the immediacy and contrast of events or people. pic related
>>331514
Really? I guess some are boring, like plain object paintings, but I think it does pretty good at portraying as sort of intensity.
>>
File: munch-edward-the-cry-1893.jpg (158 KB, 956x1200) Image search: [Google]
munch-edward-the-cry-1893.jpg
158 KB, 956x1200
Always loved the Scream, but I don't know exactly what it is about it that I like. Thoughts anons?
>>
>>331671

Existential angst bruv

Make u wanna yell on bridges tbhfam
>>
>>331553
I don't know, I like symbolism and mythological paintings. But dutch are super interested in painting ships in 1001 different angles.
>>
>>331680
That makes sense.

funny thing is, I'm nowhere near an angsty-angry-against-the-world kind of person. Maybe its just that the painting is such a strong representation of internal strife.
>>
>>331514
>>331703

That's unfair though, there's a Dutch painter for everything, including historical/mythological painting. Rembrandt himself has plenty of 'story' paintings (here's the blinding of samson for example).

It's not all about painting ships (although some people specialized in it, like Bakhuizen).
>>
>>331795

And I wanted to post another example, perhaps the most gruesome version of the story of Judith and Holofernes done by Artemisia Gentileschi, one of the few female painters of the time.
>>
>tfw want to become versed in art but I can't get interested in it
I feel retarded because I'm drawn to "cool-looking" stuff and never know why I like it. There are no particular styles or artists.
>>
>>331815
Do these ''cool-looking'' things seem to have a general thematic or artistic similarity in them? Are you interested in more abstract works?

Post works that you like and we'll help you figure it out.
>>
>>331514

Also regarding the mundane nature of their art, I'd like to point out a few things to put it into context:

- genre painting as a genre (confusing terminology sorry) didn't really get any attention until this point so, although the scenes are mundane, they were kind of innovative for their time
- the Reformation had a huge impact on Dutch culture and lifestyle and the idea of a pure spirit in a pure body became very important; these paintings of interiors aren't just pieces of decoration, they're often portrayals of the ideal home and ideal family life (or a satire thereof from painters like Nicolaes Maes and Jan Steen), pictures that people were supposed to learn from. There's a beautiful serenity and 'silence' to them that I think is almost always missing from other periods and areas (especially those gaudy Italians).

Here's Pieter de Hooch's 'At the Linen Closet' as an example. Extra fun fact: the little girl is playing 'kolf' by herself, the ancestor of today's golf.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.