[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undocumented fucking anywhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 448x328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 448x328
Russia pre-862
What the fuck was it?

I can't find anything more than some basic shit on Wikipedia that tldr says "there were Slavic tribes somewhere here"

Does anyone have any in depth/detailed resources on what was in Russia before 862 (start of Kievan Rus), stuff like states, ethnicities, music, architecture, history ( kings and wars and borders and etc)
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 276x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 276x425
>>
>>317111
The Cambridge History of Russia, Volume 1: From Early Rus’ to 1689
free download:
http://bookzz.org/book/989365/7c30f0
description on linked page:
>This first volume of the Cambridge History of Russia covers the period from early ('Kievan') Rus' to the start of Peter the Great's reign in 1689. It surveys the development of Russia through the Mongol invasions to the expansion of the Muscovite state in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and deals with political, social, economic and cultural issues under the Riurikid and early Romanov rulers. The volume is organised on a primarily chronological basis, but a number of general themes are also addressed, including the bases of political legitimacy; law and society; the interactions of Russians and non-Russians; and the relationship of the state with the Orthodox Church. The international team of authors incorporates the latest Russian and Western scholarship and offers an authoritative new account of the formative 'pre-Petrine' period of Russian history, before the process of Europeanisation had made a significant impact on society and culture.
>>
>>317120
It says this volume covers from Kievan Rus onwards.

But I want to know what happened BEFORE the Kievan Rus was founded
>>
>>317120
ayy just realized you said before kievan rus. my bad senpai. I think its very much like the problem of norse history before 800, barely any documentation. Best bet it probably folklore
>>
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 790x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 790x736
>>
>there were Slavic tribes somewhere here
There's not much else to say really, except for stuff around the Black Sea like Greeks and Scythians.
>>
>>317131
That's unfortunate :(

Maybe some other anons have some rare history documentation
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 640x1136
This is the only thing I've been able to find but it goes back to only 830ish and not too detailed
>>
>>317137
yeah what
>>317136
says may be a good idea. I think the best bet is researching nomadic steppe tribes who lived in the area. there must definitely be archaeological studies of the scythians
>>
>>317111
Just steppe nomads living their steppe lifes in the empty steppe.

With a lot of other nomadic people coming through from central asia from time to time
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 449x327) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 449x327
>>
>>317149
all i can find

Hildinger, Erik. Warriors of the Steppe: A Military History of Central Asia, 500 B.C. to 1700 A.D. New York: Sarpedon, 1997.
>Apparently the only general history of nomadic steppe-style warfare. It contains chapters dealing with nomadism, the essential combination of horse and bow, strategy and tactics, and the activities of the most significant of the nomadic warrior societies, or those settled societies that retained or adopted their military techniques.

Dani, Ahmad H., V. M. Masson, J. Harmatta, et al. History of Civilizations of Central Asia. Paris: UNESCO, 1992.
>A six-volume survey of Central Asian civilization containing dozens of entries about Buddhist culture in the region. Though dated in some respects, Volumes 2 and 3 (covering 700 BCE–250 CE and 250–750 CE, respectively) provide an unusually clear guide to regional Central Asian Buddhist formations in their multiple linguistic, economic, material, and political environments.
http://bookzz.org/s/?q=History+of+Civilizations+of+Central+Asia&t=0
>>
The territory was originaly settled by Batls and Finns, but from 6th century Slavic-speaking groups started to move in from the west, they used relatively advanced agriculture practices and had quite egalitarian and open societies so they assimilated the natives (or forced them out) and whole area became divided between many Slavic-speaking tribes. At the same time Scandinavian merchants started to move in from the north to trade furs with Slavs and to establish trade route to the Byzantium. They established trade posts on the way, amassed wealth and became proto-states.

Picrel has a chapter on early slavic peoples, pre-state migration and their relationship with Byzantium and Scandinavians.
>>
File: hyperborea.jpg (293 KB, 1024x777) Image search: [Google]
hyperborea.jpg
293 KB, 1024x777
>>317111
Aint you never heard of Hyperborea, nigga? We wuz mammoth riderz n shit.
>>
>>317169
fuck off white boi i aint no slave to ya pussy mamoth dream
>>
>>317169
Was just about to post some of this artwork
>>
File: 1448718573597.jpg (7 KB, 109x78) Image search: [Google]
1448718573597.jpg
7 KB, 109x78
>>317169
Bunch of Nazi's!
>>
File: 1176.jpg (286 KB, 1306x944) Image search: [Google]
1176.jpg
286 KB, 1306x944
>>317209
Lies, Hitler stole the original Slavic symbol of windmill of friendship.
>>
>>317212
>all white and blonde
>cold climate
>swastika

Racist Nazi's, all of them
>>
File: Z7MV2.jpg (105 KB, 580x871) Image search: [Google]
Z7MV2.jpg
105 KB, 580x871
You find that history in the Mordvins, Mokshas, Erzya and so on.
>>
>>317241
Also, some of the earliest Greek sources mention red-headed cannibals from what's today Russia, which can only mean the ancestors of Udmurts.
>>
>>317111
No records of them exist, so they were probably illiterate savages.
>>
>>317245
i read somewhere that "red haired" is better translated to "golden haired"
>>
>>317111
>calling historical states by what the modern-day countries that now occupy their land are
get out, pleb.
>>
>>317251
Well, whatever they were, they lived north of the Scythians and apparently spoke some really alien language.
>>
There was no Russia, just Proto-Slavs.
Slavic language family is the youngest language family in Europe.
Proto-Slavic emerges around 300 AD
It took some centuries to split into East, West and South Slavic.

Of course there was some cultures before that, but they were Balto-Slavic and hadn't split of into Slavic yet.
Iron Age
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernoles_culture
Early Slavs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penkovka_culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korchak_culture
>>
>>317111
Archaeology is your best bet, but I don't think that field is particularly developed in Russia, comparatively speaking.

It's also unlikely there will be all that much to discover because wood seems to have been the primary building material and that doesn't survive well.
>>
>>317111
If you mean Russia itself, then mostly Finno-Ugric tribes until Slavs came in from Podolia-Carpathia region in some Westernmost parts of Russia (i.e. where Novgorod is now, but Novgorod is a relatively new city founded after Rurik).

If you mean Kievan Rus, then proto-Slavs were hanging around in Podolia and Carpathia, mostly doing farming and paying tribute to peoples like Pannonian Avars (destroyed by Charlemagne) or Khazars. In the steppe regions of Ukraine different nomads have been constantly changing one another. Scythians to Sarmatians to Pechenegs to whatever.
>>
>>317394
Surely there was some kind of bigger States, not just small tribes.

If China and the Romans and Babylonians made huge empires in the BC why don't we hear anything about some kind of empire in the north?
>>
>>319139
>Surely there was some kind of bigger States, not just small tribes.

There doesn't have to be.
>>
File: image.jpg (391 KB, 1024x771) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
391 KB, 1024x771
>>317212
As for hyper boreans, all these paintings looks almost one to one from a Russian cartoon

Is it possible there was a big state (obviously without the magic stuff) in the north that spread quite far?
>>
In addition to what the other anons said about ancient slavs, there were also a bunch of Finno-Ugric tribes in the northern and eastern parts of modern-day Russia, even past the Urals. Today there are still some areas in Russia like Karelia and Perm that have Finno-Ugric minorities from those ancient tribes.
>>
>>319168
the Chinese formed a big state in 2000-1000BC depending which dyansty you look at as a big state

Greece made a huge empire in ~350BC
(Alexander the Great)

Indians made a huge empire in 265BC
(Maurya empire)

Persians made a huge empire in 480BC
(Achaemenid Empire)

The Babylonians saw an empire in 2300BC
(Akkadian Empire)

the Mayans had an empire in 500-300BC
The Ghana empire (africa) started in 300AD

all these different regions had empires, so why not the north?
there was plenty of food, in Ukraine and even further north, plenty of forests, etc
>>
>>319139
You forget the weather conditions of the north. It's not by coincidence that all the great empires back then were in warm/mild climates.
>>
File: 1303686752160.jpg (50 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1303686752160.jpg
50 KB, 500x375
>>317169
>mammoth riding wizard nazis
>>
File: Nominoe.jpg (1 MB, 1352x1769) Image search: [Google]
Nominoe.jpg
1 MB, 1352x1769
What was life like for the Romans living in Rome around the Time of Charlemagne?
>>
>>320833
So so
>>
>>320833
They probably were happy to have a powerful friend for once. The Lombards were about to shit on their city, again, so to hear that Charlemagne was coming to drop the heat on those greasy neckbeards must have been cool
>>
>>321879
But what were their living situations like? How did they live?
>>
>>317209
>>317217
>Nazi's
>'
>>
>>321897
this book would answer that, but i can't fine any free downloads sadly senpai

Krautheimer, Richard. 1980. Rome, profile of a city, 312–1308. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
>>
>>317111
>After the destruction of the tower and the division of the nations, the sons of Shem occupied the eastern regions, and sons of Ham those of the south, and the sons of Japheth the western and the northern lands. Among these seventy-two nations, the Slavic race is derived from the line of Japheth, since they are the Noricians, who are identical with the Slavs.

>Over a long period the Slavs settled beside the Danube, where the
Hungarian and Bulgarian lands now lie. From among these Slavs, parties scattered throughout the country and were known by appropriate names, according to the places where they settled. Thus some came and settled by the river Morava, and were named Moravians, while others were called Czechs. Among these same Slavs are included the Croats, the Serbs, and the Carinthians. For when the Vlakhs (Romans) attacked the Danubian Slavs, settled among them, and did them violence, the latter came and made their homes by the Vistula, and were then called Lyakhs, Of these same Lyakhs some were called Polyanians, some Lutichians, some Mazovians, and still others Pomorians. Certain Slavs settled also on the Dnieper, and were likewise called Polyanians. Still others were named Derevlians, because they lived in the forests. Some also lived between the Pripet' and the Dvina, and were known as Dregovichians. Other tribes resided along the Dvina and were called Polotians on account of a small stream called the Polota, which flows into the Dvina. It was from this same stream that they were named Polotians. The Slavs also dwelt about Lake Il'men', and were known there by their characteristic name. They built a city which they called Novgorod. Still others had their homes along the Desna, the Sem', and the Sula, and were called Severians. Thus the Slavic race was divided, and its language was known as Slavic.

- The Primary Chronicle (Пoвѣcть вpeмѧньныхъ лѣтъ) A.D. 1113

The genesis of the mankind was taken directly from the bible.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (10 KB, 266x189) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
10 KB, 266x189
>>323395
>fucked up my greentext layout
>>
File: 1448508668068.jpg (207 KB, 692x960) Image search: [Google]
1448508668068.jpg
207 KB, 692x960
>>323397
Iktf bro
>>
>>319172
>Is it possible there was a big state (obviously without the magic stuff) in the north that spread quite far?
No
>>
>>317212
All i see is a bunch of white trash and their RV's
>>
Correct me if i'm wrong (which there is a good chance of that), but most British history I've studied from before that period is only in contrast to other Empires invading.

Is the lack of history mainly a result of little major conflicts in the land known as Russia today? Were there any major conquests in ancient Russia by China, Rome, etc?
>>
File: u wot m8.jpg (87 KB, 634x652) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.jpg
87 KB, 634x652
>>317427
>wood seems to have been the primary building material and that doesn't survive well.

Except for this guy
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.