[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Survive WW2 >"Uh, we don't want this piece of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8
>Survive WW2
>"Uh, we don't want this piece of shit but we'll take it anyway to deny the soviets"
>Take her to america
>Gut her
>Toss two nukes at her
>She survives with only minor damage but eventually sinks because of a little hole the americans didn't fix because of a little bit of radiation

Why are americans such barbarians, also, post cool ships and talk about her
>>
File: 0_689d10.jpg (94 KB, 713x346) Image search: [Google]
0_689d10.jpg
94 KB, 713x346
My favourite sub desu, Surcouf, named after a french corsaire
>>
>>16068
>tfw you will never own your own WWII era warship
>>
File: surcouf.jpg (634 KB, 1959x1486) Image search: [Google]
surcouf.jpg
634 KB, 1959x1486
>>16146
Such a beauty
>>
>>16146
>>16210
Those are some janky ass cannons man, but I like it.

As far as subs go I really like the Balao class, but that's pretty vanilla and there isn't much to be said about it desu
>>
>>16146
>>16210
what an ugly turd
>>
File: surcou15.jpg (55 KB, 800x781) Image search: [Google]
surcou15.jpg
55 KB, 800x781
>>16386
Post your favourite boat so I can insult it, if you're a man

>>16348
It was allegedly sank by an american bomber that mistook it for a U-boot
>>
File: USS Enterprise.jpg (544 KB, 1186x770) Image search: [Google]
USS Enterprise.jpg
544 KB, 1186x770
>>16068
Carriers>battlehips
>>
>>16068

Yeah, I agree. It was a real shame to sink the Nagato. I really wish we would have just fixed it and returned it to the SDF or at the least, turn it into a Museum ship.
>>
I think it's horrible that we did what we did to such a beautiful ship, but

>She survives with only minor damage but eventually sinks because of a little hole the americans didn't fix because of a little bit of radiation
That's wrong. From what I remember, didn't part of the hull deform and cause it to tip over? Either way, it is horrible that we allowed it to flip rather than sending dudes on board and having them clean it and fix it up before it sank; lord knows we didn't give a shit about exposing anyone to radiation before the 60s.
>>
>>19145
>She was towed to the Pacific via Philadelphia and the Panama Canal,[77] departing on 3 March.[81] The ship survived two atomic bomb blasts: Test Able, an air burst on 1 July 1946 and Test Baker, a submerged detonation on 25 July.[83] Prinz Eugen was moored about 1,200 yards (1,100 m) from the epicenter of both blasts and was only lightly damaged by them;[84] the Able blast only bent her foremast and broke the top of her main mast.[85] She suffered no significant structural damage from the explosions but was thoroughly contaminated with radioactive fallout.[83] The irradiated ship was towed to the Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific, where a small leak went unrepaired due to the radiation danger.[86] On 29 August 1946, the US Navy decommissioned Prinz Eugen.[83]

>By late December 1946, the ship was in very bad condition; on 21 December, she began to list severely.[77] A salvage team could not be brought to Kwajalein in time,[83] so the US Navy attempted to beach the ship to prevent her from sinking, but on 22 December, Prinz Eugen capsized and sank.[77] Her main battery gun turrets fell out of their barbettes when the ship rolled over. The ship's stern, including her propeller assemblies, remain visible above the surface of the water.[86] The US government denied salvage rights on the grounds that it did not want the irradiated steel entering the market.[83] In August 1979, one of the ship's screw propellers was retrieved and placed in the Laboe Naval Memorial in Germany.[6] The ship's bell is currently held at the National Museum of the United States Navy, while the bell from Tegetthoff is held in Graz, Austria.[63]
>>
why would you risk lives to save something with no practical use?
>>
>>21314
Historical value.
>>
>>16068
>Uh, we don't want this piece of shit
Well, the US sure did want its tech. As for the nuking part, that happened after the US crews couldn't keep the ship operable on their own.
>>
>her
kill yourself you hetronormative faggot

it is a ship, an *IT*. get it right, nigger
>>
>>21467
We had already ditched battleships, the last one the US ever commissioned was the USS Missouri.
>>
File: 1434558740326.png (213 KB, 354x362) Image search: [Google]
1434558740326.png
213 KB, 354x362
>>21507
>botes aren't girls

normie get out
>>
>>21583
Prinz Eugen wasn't a battleship, though.

Either way, if the US crew had been as capable in keeping it operational, it may have served longer. Well, its best parts had already been ripped out either way, for testing on regular US ships.
>>
>>16068
We tried to save her you fucking moron. We washer her down multiple times but even after 5 months she was too dangerous to work on so we let her sink. Plus, the Admiral Hipper-class series of cruisers was absolutely worthless at everything except convoy raiding in the North Atlantic. She deserved to be used as a practice target.
>>
>>21593
No, that's a completely normal thing to do. I bet you even have a car wallpaper and you call me the normie.
macho faggot
>>
File: Prinz Eugen 1.jpg (82 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Prinz Eugen 1.jpg
82 KB, 1024x768
The Prinz Eugen's still there, but upside down.

There was a guy who used to post every week on /hr/ who had literally thousands of pics of old warships in their current state. Crazy to think that there are ships from WWII and even older left abandoned to the elements that are still intact.
>>
File: Prinz Eugen 2.jpg (90 KB, 1760x1168) Image search: [Google]
Prinz Eugen 2.jpg
90 KB, 1760x1168
>>
>>21884
IJN destroyer Kikuzuki was left sitting in the backwater of a bay in the Solomon islands for years. Unfortunately, the ship has corroded so badly that now all that's left is under the water and half buried in mud...
>>
>>21998
>tfw I know a guy from the solomon islands
It sounds like living on gilligan's island.
>>
>>19145
basically they found out that nukes don't do anything to a fleet

IJN battleship nagato didn't sink, the only ships that sank were the ones directly under the blast
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.