[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dan Carlin Thread Post your favorite, pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
Dan Carlin Thread
Post your favorite, pic related.
>>
>>1511
Did Temujin really have green eyes?
>>
>>1511
no one? 15 fucking hitlers and no dan carlin fans?
>>
File: punic_nightmares.jpg (80 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
punic_nightmares.jpg
80 KB, 700x700
>>1990
I like Dan. You're going to have a hard time finding people who actually like learning and discussing history on this board, because it would seem /int/ and /pol/ have already begun their wild shitposting
>>
My favorite is Ghosts of the Osfront but I haven't heard that much

How was his WWI series now that it's over?
>>
>>2310
Its pretty good
>>1605
So they say
also he supposedly had red hair
not sure if any of that is true
>>
>>2310
>How was his WWI series now that it's over?
it was god damn mind blowing and yes it is over.
10/10
>>2188
punic nightmares was really good
>>
Listening through American Peril right now. Good shit
>>
>>2518
Yeah I actually based my final history paper in school on that one
>>
>>1605
>>2382
Trait of the treacherous Khazar of the synagogue of Satan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Jews
>>
By far my favorite is thor's angels.
>>
I've only listened to the first part of Blueprint of Armageddon. Why does he keep trying to make a connection to the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand and that of JFK? He spends the first 20 minutes talking about the assassination of JFK and whether or not it was a conspiracy on a podcast about WW1.

Really weird.
>>
>>1511
>>2188

Is this guy really good? Because everything about him, from those covers to Joe Rogan praising him on his podcast, makes me thing of bullshit pop science rather than actually acurate history
>>
>>2188
Just give it a little while for things to calm down.
>>
>>2892
For education through popular entertainment, it's fucking fantastic
>>
>>2819

That was good.
>>
>>2881
He's an american trying to appeal to an american audience so he often makes a lot of analogies to similar american events.
>>
>>2892
change linen Hans
>>
>>2892
He cites his sources so you can look through them if you have any concerns about accuracy.
>>
File: 1437446465013.jpg (60 KB, 806x665) Image search: [Google]
1437446465013.jpg
60 KB, 806x665
Friendly reminder that Dan Carlin is the vsauce of history.
All his "insights" are fucking retarded and don't make actual sense.
He has a good voice, though.
>>
>>2892
one of the highest quality podcasts out there. it's really well made. immensely enjoyable.
>>
>>3056
>Friendly reminder that Dan Carlin is the vsauce of history.
that sort of retelling of history is what draws young people into studying history
also, i enjoy his derp-retarded remarks
>>
>>1511
Anyone listen to his newest "King of Kings" yet? How is it? Just finished episode IV of Wrath of the Khans today, going to finish the last one on Monday on the bus, then listen to King of Kings. Loved it so far, never knew the Mongols were so interesting.
>you will never lay waste to some of the largest contemporary empires of that time despite being outnumbered
>you will never systematically slaughter millions of inferior sedentary cattle
>you will never dream of conquering the world with your steppe bros
>>
>>3315
im halfway through kings of kings. it's great so far.
>>
>>3315
Finished it yesterday.
Liked the story of cyrus's death.
>>
>>3315
Felt like the weakest of the shows I've listened from him but then it's a time period I am so familiar that learning nothing new might detract from the whole experience.
>>
>>3315
I haven't finished it yet, but the show is alright. However, I feel like the beginning is pretty unfocused and takes a lot from Judgement at Ninevah and Shield of the West. That's just my initial reaction, I really need to restart and listen to it all over again.

Anyone want some of the later episodes? I know that we should all support the show but I'd be glad to share some legacy episodes for those somehow unable to pay.
>>
Damn, haven't listened to Carlin in forever.
Bit of a time commitment.
>>
Which of his older episodes are must-listens?
>>
>>6708
macedonian soap opera, judgement at nineveh and the churchill one
>>
Too much americanism and emotion for me.
The one on Munster was a nice episode, one of my favourite by him. It also made perfectly clear that his politics combined with being an American made him complete unfit to talk about anything but contemporary American history.
>>
I love dan carlin

new episode came out yesterday but I havent listened yet
>>
>>6270
>Anyone want some of the later episodes?
I feel like a real bastard but yeah, if you feel like sharing then sure, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>6989
Yeah that's the worst about in. He spends 50% of the episodes comparing the events he is talking about to American events.
>>
>>7121
Do you have any one episode in mind? I'd really prefer not to upload them all for obvious reasons.

If you want me to upload them all I'd be willing to, but again I'd rather not.
>>
>>7284
how about these ones>>6791
>>
>>7339
Alright I'm uploading them to MEGA right now, it'll take a while because I'm at my grandparent's house and their wifi is pretty bad.
>>
>>7582
Thanks in advance
>>
>>7605
http://tehparadox.com/forum/f123/dan-carlins-hardcore-history-podcastsaudiobooks-9980262/
I don't know if they're still online but it's where I got mine from.
>>
>>3056
Who gives a shit about interpretation
He's the best lecturer I've ever heard
>>
I started off being a bit on the fence with Dan Carlin, but he's really grown on me ever since he changed the format to make more ambitious audio-book length podcasts.

Even if you don't agree with the interpretations he points out or the fact that he tends to repeat certain points over and over again, he's an excellent story teller with a great voice.

Looking forward to how his Kings of Kings turns out. The first episode was pretty good.
>>
>>7605
https://mega.nz/#F!pYFgzahR!V33eiyFrZU3Z2CpDEoV_VA

There you go, all three of the episodes you wanted.

Again, I'd like to repeat myself, please support Dan and his podcast. I know it's kind of preachy.
>>
>>5908
I felt the same way about Wrath of Khans, though the general reaction to it seemed to be very positive. I was mainly disappointed that there was very little mention of the details involved in Temuchin's actual rise to becoming Chinggis Khan (which is highly interesting in and of itself) and the fact that some of the Mongol conquests like Song China, Delhi sultanate, Korea, Vietnam and Japan were either barely mentioned to or not mentioned at all.
>>

I SHOUT HERE TO EMPHASIZE THE HISTORICITY OF WHAT I SAY

endquote
>>
>>2892
its fucking pop history, he only has a ba degree and its a podcast for fucks sake, you expect too much
>>
>>8479
>I DON'T LIKE IT WHEN PEOPLE MAKE LOUD NOISES
>>
>>8331
five hour episodes are a bit too much for me. The Punic wars lenght is ideal for me, three hour and a half episodes

>>8479
>If you were making a top ten of [x], then [y] is right up there

is my favourite carlin meme other thant the epic quote voice
>>
>>8629
I love the long episodes. Makes for perfect listening material while I'm playing PC games or on my handheld.
>>
File: Dan-Carlin3.jpg (52 KB, 472x580) Image search: [Google]
Dan-Carlin3.jpg
52 KB, 472x580
Today's episode concerns one of recent history's most.. violent and .. bizarre episodes, something that defies all rational explanation. A hostile plane heist, over the fertile mountains of Kazakhstan. It all started with a simple … prisoner exchange.. with a guy-now my Kazakh's a little rusty, so I'm probably going to butcher the pronunciation- but he was called ... Masketta man. Some call him Mosquito Man ... HECK I've heard some people call him Masque et un man, regardless.. he delivers his bounty, several bound and hooded men, to a figure known to history ... as CIA

Recent records have been found .. purporting that this man's real name was Bill Wilson .. he was a .. little guy around about 150 pounds, five foot 8 inches .. had a habit of resting his thumbs in his belt loops. It was said, when roused to great emotion his tendons would.. pop out of his neck .. real hot head this guy..

So CIA, or Bill Wilson loads his cargo, of men, onto his plane. He opens the cargo door. AGIN REMEMBER THEY’RE HUNDREDS OF MILES IN THE AIR AT THIS POINT, he has his soldiers, one of them called Smee, the other Maimen, take his hooded hostages, and leans them out into the howling wind. NOW JUST IMAGINE THIS FOLKS ... you're in the dark, bag over your head, you hear this guy talking about flight plans, before you know it WOOSH, cabin doors open, sudden changes in air pressure probably making your ears pop, then he GRABS YOU, and puts your HEAD out the WINDOW, asking you all these questions "TELL ME ABOUT BANE, WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK" ... I CAN'T EVEN ... BEGIN TO IMAGINE....

I have here, a firsthand account of Wilson, written by one of his most loyal hired guns, QUOTE. HE WAS A BIG GUY, SO BIG HE SEEMED TO MAKE MEN AROUND HIM WHO YOU PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT WERE THE BIGGEST, SEEM INFINITESIMALLY SMALL. HE LIVED AND DIED FOR THE AGENCY, THIS WAS A MAN WHO'D SHOOT A MAN AND THROW HIM OUT OF A PLANE BEFORE HE LET SOMEONE INTERFERE WITH HIS FLIGHTPLAN.

End quote.
>>
>>8714
Is this /his/ first banepost? That counts as history imo senpai
>>
>>8714
beautiful
>>
>>2382
Menelaus and Ramses are also said to have had red hair
>>
>>2892
it's not a textbook or a source you would ever cite, but it's leagues above a primer for introducing you to a topic and pretty entertaining
>>
>>2188
Never heard Punic Nightmares, I just listen to the free ones to be honest.

I really liked Blueprint of armageddon, man was that a long series
>>
>>8714
>"End quote"

b-b-baka senpai
i-i-its not like I love you or anything
>>
File: 1440047609419.jpg (85 KB, 597x450) Image search: [Google]
1440047609419.jpg
85 KB, 597x450
>>8714
10/10
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.