[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of this quote? "The reason that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Norbert_wiener.jpg (21 KB, 289x400) Image search: [Google]
Norbert_wiener.jpg
21 KB, 289x400
What do you guys think of this quote?

"The reason that people don’t correct the incongruities in their ideology is because they have primarily identified with that ideology and abandoning it for a more logical framework would necessitate decomposing their self-identity. This cognitive dissonance is painful and most people prefer to retreat to their neatly-packaged framework they’ve always held.

Social justice and science are pillars upon which Western Civilization rests, but without a logical foundation, they morph into bastardized versions of social justice warfare and scientism using injustice to achieve justice and being unscientific about science. Without a logical foundation, these pillars of Western Civilization collapse into rubble and may well take the entire culture with it.

The solution is obvious. Instead of identifying as a social justice advocate or a skeptic first, we should all strive to identify primarily with logic. An argument or ideology should be at the very least self-consistent and unless we can all agree on that, we’re going to be faced with endless wasted arguments and risk losing our collective mind for good."
>>
>implying people care about logic or consistency instead of results
>>
Pretty much explains why i dont label my beliefs as an ideology. If they are not connected by an overarching system, they can be challenged individually.
>>
>>1430580

Let me make sure I understand:

"People are scared of change because then they have to admit they're wrong, and that makes them panic. People should also only commit to the most logical action because going by emotion makes them do stupid shit like "fighting for peace", and not understanding the difference between correlation and causation."(paraphrased)

I disagree. It is with emotion that we assign value to things for better, or worse. There are a few examples of individuals who sustained damage to parts of their brain which enabled emotion. These individuals were found to "know what they needed to do, but be unable to decide to do it."(paraphrased).

Unfortunately I could not find the specific article I paraphrased from, and can only point to the various clinical disorders associated with reduced/inability to understand, process, or display emotions so feel free to present any counter-argument just calling me a lying faggot.
>>
>>1430580
Sounds like something an edgy basement dweller from /pol/ would say
>>
>>1430689
>we should all strive to identify primarily with logic
>Sounds like something an edgy basement dweller from /pol/ would say
Well, yeah. Can't let that nasty logic get in the way of muh feelings, right?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.