[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As an African slave circa 1700, what would be the best place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: African_slave_trade.png (98 KB, 721x600) Image search: [Google]
African_slave_trade.png
98 KB, 721x600
As an African slave circa 1700, what would be the best place to get sold to?
>>
>>1425711
Spanish America probably.
>>
Your best bet would be a neighboring village or Spanish territory
>>
>>1425711
East African slaves called Siddis or Habshis in Islamic India were used as elite slaves (in the same way medieval Arabs and Persians used Turks) and put in highly influential positions. Several states in early modern India (such as Janjira and Sachin) were ruled by Africans, though I'm not sure how many of those were former slaves and how many had just arrived as merchants. In other states they often acted as officials, mercenaries, army commanders, sometimes even prime ministers, Malik Ambar being the most famous example though he was more around 1600.

So unless there was somewhere else they were better off that I'm not aware of, I'd say India.
>>
Probably as a servant to nobility.
>>
>>1425711
being a house servant in non caribbean Spanish America

In what is now Argentina, the viceroyalty of the River Plate, there were no plantations, only killing wild cattle to sell the leather, and blacks were used basically as maids.
>>
>>1425711
Portugal. In Portugal there was an organization since the 1600's that was dedicated to buy slaves, teach them and free them in society.
>>
>>1425711
North Africa

Sure, you might get your balls chopped off but you get to live in a palace full of qts.
>>
>>1425711
Heh, my father never ceases to shit on the Arabs for their prior slave trades, particularly at the Red Sea coast. I have no idea how many of my countrymen were taken (Eritrea), but it's surprising how people in general know next to nothing about Arab-African slavery. Verrrryy brutal, hands chopped off, weights permanently clamped to ankles, and all these broken slaves were transferred throughout the Arabian Peninsula and Asia.
>>
File: 1433896114391.png (11 KB, 470x454) Image search: [Google]
1433896114391.png
11 KB, 470x454
>>1425717
>Spanish America

Yeah, but no.

Processing sugarcane was far worse than working on a cotton plantation. Even with whitey whipping you n shiet. Many Africans died in the harsh industrial processes that sugar plantations required and what's worse many lost limbs to the archaic machinery of the day.

When slavery was abolished throughout South America (in many cases much later than when it was abolished in the South) many of the slaves working at the time had actually been born in Africa and shipped over recently. So many of them were dying horrible deaths that they couldn't even keep the populations up.
>>
>>1425717
yea no...
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.