[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I imagine a king would have some royal mapmaker or something,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1458944476414.jpg (647 KB, 2588x3072) Image search: [Google]
1458944476414.jpg
647 KB, 2588x3072
I imagine a king would have some royal mapmaker or something, but how did common people go about daily travel, border control, and trade before paper and printing?
>>
>border control
you got around by word of mouth and experience, if you were lucky enough to find a map it would be grossly inaccurate.
>>
Uí Neill best clan.
O'Brien shits need not apply
>>
>>1430276

Common people did not travel more than a couple miles from home. Border control did not exist. Trade was done along known routes, by memory. If all else fails you ask where you are at an inn. No maps needed.
>>
>>1430276
>brother-in-law's surname is MacSweeney and his family are originally from Donegal
neat
>>
>>1430307
This
>>
File: anglo_scum.jpg (674 KB, 1480x1270) Image search: [Google]
anglo_scum.jpg
674 KB, 1480x1270
>>1430276
>tfw irish but family name isn't on the map
Just pleb my shit up
>>
>>1430276
Experience and memory.
>>
>>1430337
Most Irish names are composed of different cenal's and origins.
>>
>>1430276
People would commonly travel a day or two from home to the next village or town for trade. Network enough of them in a chain and you can hop across the kingdom no problem. All you had to do was memorize a road or a heading, know the usual conditions depending on the time of year, and know people at the other end to support and guarantee your safety if there wasn't a bureaucracy in place to receive you.
>>
>>1430276
>HAHA! Finally, I can put my anime knowledge to use!

... Pretty much this. >>1430323 >>1430489

Most people only travel to the nearest market town at best, which is usually no more than 10 miles, half a day's walk. Travelling merchants learn their routes from their masters as apprentices and took over when the master died/retired. Pilgrims would follow already established routes lined with churches. If you were a new traveller, you simply ask the innkeeper and he would point you towards the right gate to the next town. When you get to that town, you are pointed to the next town, and repeat until you arrive at your destination.
>>
Wexford and Dublin is an absolute fuckin mess.
>>
>>1430549
>Dublin is a mess
This never stopped being true
>>
>>1430501
>>HAHA! Finally, I can put my anime knowledge to use!
?
>>
>>1430584
Spice and Wolf.
>>
>>1430276

carrier pigeons and dogs, signs
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.