[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made "the greatest generation" so great? My theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
What made "the greatest generation" so great? My theory is that it was having to grow up during the depression, that struggle made that generation better people. Human beings need struggle and every generation since has been "worse" because they lack that struggle.
Just a theory I want your responses to
>>
>>1427912
I always thought it was because they fought in World War II and the whole, "Nazism was the greatest evil known to man and we defeated it." thing.

Did they do anything comparatively great besides that?
>>
>>1427933
No.

That's literally it.

And it's bullshit.

The Nazis were a dictatorship that tried to wipe out a few peoples. Woo. We've had tons of those. Some of them succeeded.

Only difference is the Nazis are recent.
>>
>>1427912
'great' and 'better' are all so subjective.

Let me ask you this, is your life without struggle? Do you go through life experiencing no problems at all? Just because you are not suffering for extreme financial deprivation doesn't mean you don't know what suffering is. Every human being on this planet has suffered in one way or another.

Suffering creates compassion. The greater the suffering the greater the compassion. But do you NEED to suffer to be compassionate?
>>
>>1427939
Yeah I mean I give them props because WWII was by far the most destructive war in human history and I certainly wouldn't want to experience it but it's not like they were this chosen group of people and we're all so lucky it was them and not some other generation that fought in WWII or we'd be fucked.

>>1427941
I like this anon.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.