[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the Silk Road reach Japan? Would it have made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Silk_route.jpg (2 MB, 2868x1866) Image search: [Google]
Silk_route.jpg
2 MB, 2868x1866
Why didn't the Silk Road reach Japan? Would it have made a significant difference in Japan's development if it did?
>>
>>1426683
>Why didn't the Silk Road reach Japan?
If they traded with China, then it did.
>>
>>1426683
They were part of it. Why do you think the Dutch and Moors stopped there?

But extremely insignificant.
>>
>>1426698
Did Moors stop in Japan? I'd like to read about that. As for the Dutch and other westerners, the first time I heard about them landing in Japan were in ship wrecks, so they weren't exactly trying to stop there. Did they stop there before?
>>
>>1426707

We have to remember that the Silk Road, or the oceanic portion of it, was never under the control of one polity or one company. Mongols or Portuguese came closest to doing it.
>>
>>1426734 here

Which means that they were European ships operating at the end of their endurance, shipwreck is likely, even if contact with Japan was the goal.
>>
>>1426707
It's a meme
>>
>>1426707
Arabs knew of it since the 8th century, they called it al-Waqwaq or something. As usual, the depiction of it was all wrong, similar to Marco Polo's Cipango in that they believed the country was so loaded with gold that they even used it for roofing. Part of the reason any medieval explorer might ever wanted to get in contact with Japan was because of this misconception.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.