[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever watched a show that takes place in pre-bathroom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13
Have you ever watched a show that takes place in pre-bathroom era and wondered how bad people must have smelled ?
Like, they didn't have access to toothpaste nor deodorant.
Imagine trying to perform cunnilingus to a girl from those times.
Disgusting
>>
People smelled fine. Modern plumbing fixtures diminish the time spent on hygiene and support the infrastructure for a larger population rather than make people cleaner.
>>
>>1426267
>pre-bathroom era
No such thing. Without-Bathroom cultures makes more sense

Anyway, body odours are full of pheromones which invoke things in humans but are now mostly dead.
>>
>>1426267
satantango by bela tarr has a nice ass/vagina wipe scene

do check it out if you have the chance, hungary's finest
>>
File: 1454728711801.jpg (195 KB, 798x770) Image search: [Google]
1454728711801.jpg
195 KB, 798x770
>eating pussy at all whatsoever
>>
>>1426290
>t. Roman virgin
>>
File: 1461541469438.jpg (35 KB, 296x296) Image search: [Google]
1461541469438.jpg
35 KB, 296x296
>>1426290
You gotta ask permission to the bull someday bro.
>>
Japanese called Europeans "the barbarian people from the south"(because the boats always came from the south), due to people didn't take bath, while in Japan it was already standard to bath once per day.
>>
>>1426290
it's fun
if you don't like it you're probably gay
>>
>>1426290
>>1426351
not him but i'm gay and ate pussy a couple times because it seemed like a good idea but can verify, gay men do not like eating pussy.
>>
>>1426337
Europeans actually started bathing less in the modern era because "modern medicine" told them it was unhealthy.
>>
>>1426351
second...
>>
people may not have bathed often but it was still regular enough, and washing with clothes was common
also you'd be surprised how effective chew sticks and even water can be for good dental hygiene
>>
>>1426386
I stop bathing for a couple of days and I start smelling rancid.
Specially down there.
Also, chew sticks don't prevent your mouth from smelling like shit.
>>
>>1426398
people would also have used herbs and spices for that. it's mentioned in the canterbury tales
>>
>>1426374
>modern science
Please tell me more about this quackery, or what the rationale was.
>>
>>1426419
Basically, it opens your pores for disease to come inside your body, and pussifies your immune system.
That was mostly the logic of it.
>>
A lot of people itt are forgetting that pre-modern diets were far, far less sugar and protein heavy.

Most people ate a heavy amount of grains supplemented by veggies and what little meat they could find. Most sugar came from rare fruit intake.

Proteins and Sugars make humans smell much worse after internal processing than starches. Their teeth would generally have been in better condition too, meaning that brushing was far less important.

On top of all that, alcohol had both lower sugar content and lower purity levels than today, as it was generally intended to allow storage of liquids rather than for people to get drunk on.

All this means that pre-modern humans wouldn't smell like roses or anything, but they wouldn't smell as bad as a modern person with poor hygiene does.
>>
People bathed regularly. You would wash and scrub yourself all over at least once a day with water, sometimes soap or various precursors to soap, and if you were wealthy enough you used scents. People as a whole did not bother with full immersion baths regularly because they were time consuming and labor intensive for most of human history, so it was usually the rich who bothered with those.
>>
>>1426544
>>1426544
>you would wash and scrub yourself all over at least once a day

In winter?
In places where it's always very cold or in droughts ?
>>
>>1426571
Obviously if your ass didn't have access to water, you wouldn't be bathing with it, now would you?

I'm talking overall/in general.
>>
>>1426589
Why did you avoid the other questions?
Are you hiding something?
>>
>>1426603
>Typically, peasants in this time period and era used bread as a staple for their diet.
>Even when there wasn't bread?

This is what you sound like.
>>
>>1426634
wat, I asked more questions and you chose to focus on the drought thing like a retard.
Calm down son.
>>
How you can spot the christian?
-because of their bad odor.

t.Ancient south american aboriginal joke.
>>
>>1426337

How is one able to bathe on a boat?
>>
>>1426526

Are you saying that carbohydrates are not sugars?
>>
>>1426433
>Dirt is a barrier to the contagion theory
Brilliant!
>>
>>1426281
YOu and OP need to do pic related. It's called household plumbing.
>>
File: fundamental.jpg (65 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
fundamental.jpg
65 KB, 566x480
>>1426758
>>
>>1426571
Well yeah, the Finns and the Russians were noted by westerners to be extremely clean exactly because they spent all their times in saunas/ baths
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 209x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 209x200
>>1426634
Kek
>>1426646
hes right though. Think about it a little bit. There are people today that dont have immediate access to water. How do you think they get by as far as bathes go?
>>
>>1426267
They did have really shitty toothpaste made from flour and water during the times during "the Witch" like your picture is. I believe they wore layers to cover any smell too if you were a peasant and didn't bath often.
>>
>>1426817
My main question was about winter which he avoided.
The drought question was a bonus to add to the number of people who didn't bathe,and you're right they don't.
>>
>>1426267
This movie was fucked
>>
Some astronomical number, like two-thirds, of India's modern 1.2billion population, do not use indoor plumbing. They have an organized way of pooing in fields. That's just how they live, with the poo fields.
>>
>>1426848
fucked good or fucked bad?
>>
>>1426854
>That's just how they live, with the poo fields.
Not to mention the
>designated
>>
>>1426337
No shit they didn't bathe they were on boats. How the fuck do you bathe on a boat? Have you ever tried washing something with salt water? Spoiler: it doesn't fucking work.
>>
>>1426895
Whenever they could, sailors collected rainwater for bathing.
>>
>>1426895
>>1426690

You get off the boat and pay 10000 yen to use the public termal waters.
>>
>>1426895
How did they drink water on boats?
>>
>>1426900
Thats retarded you would save the rain water for drinking. Because if there is no rain for a while and you run out of drinking water you are fucked.
>>
>>1426923
>Drinking untreated rainwater
lel
>>
>>1426906
With limited supplies of water and the possibility of travel being left need than planned, it's better not to wash yourself in case you run out
>>
>>1426835
Why do you think people wouldn't bathe in winter? Are you retarded?
>>
>>1427071
Because heating your home is expensive and you don't sweat as much.

Bathing in winter was like asking to get sick
>>
>>1426906
Via water barrels. They also brought grog for that purpose. Drinking water had to be carefully rationed for long journeys.
>>
>>1427081
>Bathing in winter was like asking to get sick

Not the typical daily bathing that people did for most of human history in their homes, aka sponge baths.

Public bathhouses would have been heated in the winter, and in some time periods winter was considered an important time for regular bathing because of the increased liikelihood of getting sick, since dirt/grime were associated with catching illnesses.
>>
>>1427132
> sponge baths.
Sponge where expensive for anyone not living on the coast, they probably didn't even know what it was. People probably went to the river to wash themselves when they did so.

>Public bathhouses would have been heated in the winter
This would only concern people living in cities which is a very small minority

>in some time periods winter was considered an important time for regular bathing because of the increased liikelihood of getting sick, since dirt/grime were associated with catching illnesses.
Really? That's interesting, got any source on that.
>>
File: lold.png (78 KB, 698x658) Image search: [Google]
lold.png
78 KB, 698x658
>>1426355
>i'm gay
>>
>>1426933
What's wrong with that? Like water is only bad if it's stagnant. If water was in a stream and was moving and you are in the mountains you can drink the water safely most likely.
>>
>>1427208
He'd probably a clueless American who can't trust something that isn't labeled.
>>
>>1427208
>>1427224

>some nigger shits in the stream and throws his garbage in it
>kilometers downstream you enjoy a refreshing slurp of stream water
>>
>>1427229
Thats why I said if you are at the mountains where the streams begin. A nigger might shit downstream but that won't affect the water you drink.
>>
>>1427166
>Sponge where expensive for anyone not living on the coast, they probably didn't even know what it was.

Oh, I mean sponge bath as the catch-call term for washing yourself with a sponge, washcloth, rag, etc, using a basin or bowl or container of water rather than immersing yourself in a big tub of water, not sponge bath using a literal sponge. Pic related, washing the ol' hoo ha.

>This would only concern people living in cities which is a very small minority

Then they'd be bathing at home.

>Really? That's interesting, got any source on that.

The only one I know that is online is the Secreta Secretorum: http://www.colourcountry.net/secretum/node54.html I think a few other 'chapters' discussing bathing as well. But, winter bathing being important/recommended depends on the time period, country, and culture.
>>
>>1427246

what if you're the nigger?
>>
>>1426848
Thomasin was qt though
>>
>>1427229
its the animal shit and dead things that will get you. I've drank water out of clean looking stream and it wasn't bad, but tasted like algae. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>1427262
That's a nice peasant girl in her private dirty-snatchy-wipe-and-washy anon.
>>
File: she's peein'.jpg (65 KB, 640x806) Image search: [Google]
she's peein'.jpg
65 KB, 640x806
>>1427299
I do what I can
>>
>>1427262
>Then they'd be bathing at home
How can someone be this deluded? We're not talking about nobility but average people.

Also even nobility didn't wash themselves. French nobility stopped doing it once they got hands on perfume
>>
>>1426267
All girls need to do to clean their vaginas is rinse with water. So I'm sure they were good.
>>
>>1427383
Only French. Not everyone.
>>
>>1426699
Not that anon, but sugars are carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not necessarily sugars.
>>
>>1426267
People in the Stone Age would rub themselves in their own feces. This helped them to escape enemies and predators.
>>
>>1427383
>How can someone be this deluded? We're not talking about nobility but average people.

Average people bathed. Average people usually had a simple wooden washtub (shared by everyone, water included, not used as often because it was labor and time intensive) and they used basins/bins/bowls/containers for washing themselves with rags and clothes on a regular basis.

>French nobility stopped doing it once they got hands on perfume

Myth, like most assertions about French hygiene standards.
>>
>>1426835
Christ youre a massive faggot. Have you ever had a cold shower before? Bathing in cold water doesnt make you sick if you dry yourself afterwards
>>
>>1427386
No anon thats not all they need to do
>>
>>1427439

My water heater stopped working a few times, but I still took showers.
>>
>>1427447
And did you die afterwards?
>>
>>1427447

Nice, just like the village peasants in the 1500's.
Their water heater would break constantly but they still took showers in the winter.
>>
>>1427445
Yes it is. Well and changing your under garments. Putting soap or any other shit in your vagina is a great way to cause a yeast infection. Also I would know.
>>
>>1427445
What's wrong with just them rinsing with water? Like what more do you need? I mean soap would be nice but it's not a necessity. Besides the vagina is suppose to be self cleaning. Or thats what I heard.
>>
>>1427510
Wait I thought under wear and panties and such weren't invented in these times? So they don't need to replace those since they are going commando.
>>
a qt peasant girl would at worst smell like soil and plants, licking her pussy would be like licking a vegetable you just pulled out of your veggie patch
>>
What did they use to wipe ass?
>>
>>1427414
that's indians
>>
>>1426854
And they smell awful
>>
>>1427527
I once had a friend who claimed her pussy smelled like cucumbers and rain water. I always wanted to try it, but veggie patch pussy sound pretty good too
>>
>>1427081
>Because heating your home is expensive
and you have to do that did you bathe or not so what's your point?
just what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1427481
you can literally wash yourself by rubbing your body with handful of fucking snow without dying you faggot
>>
File: c2e8PeS[1].jpg (20 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
c2e8PeS[1].jpg
20 KB, 500x250
>>1427644
>without dying

You've been strawmaning this argument for a few posts now.
You can stop anytime buddy.
>>
>>1427673
well it doesn't make you ill either like you claimed.
>>
File: 1466460952330.jpg (58 KB, 618x522) Image search: [Google]
1466460952330.jpg
58 KB, 618x522
Well I'm gay, and I wonder if homosexual partners back then did such things as rimming or face-sitting.
>>
>>1427704
they spent a lot of time hanging from trees
>>
>>1427543
When I shit off the cliff in my backyard, I wipe my ass with dead leaves, or grass.
Summertime is bad because the hot weather makes the whole outside smell like shit all day long. So, I shit outside in colder months.
>>
>>1426355
Yes, and lesbian do not like choking on dick.

On tonight's History Channel Document we'll be discussing the intricacies of whether or not wanking to traps is queer
>>
>>1426337

They were regarded with similar disdain by the Chinese who were not only appalled by their lack of hygiene but also by the fact they ate without utensils
>>
From my experience in the army I can say that if everyone smells like shit nobody will notice it. Could go week without showering during exercises and youd only realise that all the people and equipment smell like death after you showered.
>>
When you dont eat like shit ypu dont really smell that bad.

Washing with water will clean you decently.

Deodorant is not needed actually.
>>
>>1427865
>lesbian do not like choking on dick.
Some of them do.
>>
File: моржи_1.jpg (268 KB, 630x406) Image search: [Google]
моржи_1.jpg
268 KB, 630x406
>>1427081
>>
File: 7082817815_f61a95b1a4_o.jpg (301 KB, 916x1188) Image search: [Google]
7082817815_f61a95b1a4_o.jpg
301 KB, 916x1188
>>1428157
can confirm although I believe the females who were with us in the field during basic (NZ Army), had to use deodorant for whatever reason
>>
>>1426302
>>1426351
>virginity
>homosexuality
>bad things

Wew, lads!
>>
>>1426374
Actually bathing too much via basic soaps pretty much ruins the skins natural pH, thus increasing the chance of infenctions, which were crucial in that era and in many cases could've proven fatal.
So it wasn't that bullshit.
>>
>>1426267
you're a pussy virgin faggot

>be me, 20yo, have 18yo gf
>we go hiking and camping
>no shower or bathroom available for a week
>walking and sweating all day
>fucked like rabbits
>still ate that pussy like it was chocolate pie
Good times brah
>>
>>1427272
Easily the most evil character
>>
>>1426906
The Early Spanish explorers in America ran out continually and had to risk life and limb to get to shore while being showered by arrows.
>>
>>1428485
>regularly drinking own day-old jizz
>from walking petri dish
>quite proud

k, I mean, if that's how you feel about things, brah.
>>
>>1426526
>On top of all that, alcohol had both lower sugar content and lower purity levels than today, as it was generally intended to allow storage of liquids rather than for people to get drunk on.

Are you special or something? You both display an amazing lack of knowledge of alcohol in human history - and alcohol generally.

>Alcohol had lower sugar content
Dude.

Alcohol is made from fermentable sugars. If you cut fermentation, pasteurize or just drink it before it is done, you get sugar in your drink . You know what most medieval beer was? Half-fermented, yeasty wort by modern standars.

>lower purity levels
What does this mean, in your mind? Because it literally means nothing in alcohol and brewing terms. Unless you mean it was not distilled for a long time?
>>
>>1428452
lmao look at the guy on the right legs

all the blood is gone from them
>>
>>1427713
Fucking savage
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.