[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coat of Arms Readings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
My friend traced back his ancestry and found out he is part Irish from the Loftus Family.

He found his coat of arms and were wondering what the markings on it stand for.

Could a /his/torian help us decipher what it means?
>>
>>1422879
Those coat of arms websites are a scam.
>>
>>1422879
I'm pretty sure 90% of these heraldic crests that aren't actually associated with real historical nobility were made by opportunists trying to sell shitty mugs and t-shirts to Americans.
>>
File: Memetics.png (93 KB, 931x800) Image search: [Google]
Memetics.png
93 KB, 931x800
/his/fags have a coat of arms
>>
>>1422912
>>1422904
>tfw I saw somebody with one of these crests tattooed on his arm
I didn't have the autistic nerve to tell him
>>
>>1422948
>I didn't have the autistic nerve to tell him
>>1422904
>>1422912
His dad got a tattoo of it already
>>
File: Amaterasu Food Critic.jpg (49 KB, 800x596) Image search: [Google]
Amaterasu Food Critic.jpg
49 KB, 800x596
>>1423001
>>
>>1422879
Sable, a chevron ermine between three clovers argent.

It's just common heraldic furs and colours. They don't mean anything.
>>
>>1423024
On that note, I can't find any lineage online mentioned to be bearing those arms.
>>
>>1423024
>>1422879
The Loftus arms as displayed on their website are

Centrée, a chevron engrailed argent between three clovers proper.
>>
>>1423043
*ermine, not argent, sorry
>>
File: french knight.png (1 MB, 931x1183) Image search: [Google]
french knight.png
1 MB, 931x1183
That feel when descended from a family of minor french nobility that fought in every single frog war since the 13th century.

I can find my froggish froggy frog ancestors with my actual name or variations of it in a lot of french history books, so I guess it's not bullshit.
>>
Yes op, it's read 無名無 歷
>>
>>1423048
why is that french knight patrolling a cloud?
>>
Loftus definitely isn't an Irish name. It might be that one of his ancestors was forced to change their Irish name to an English one, or that he's actually descended from English settlers in Ireland and not Irish people proper.

Also, your dad doesn't have a coat of arms. Individuals are awarded arms, families aren't. There's a technicality in the Scottish system whereby in Clans with no Chiefs, the arms of the last Chief can be used by any member of the Clan, but if your dad's ancestry is English or Irish that doesn't apply to him.

And in the first place, Irish people being granted arms is extremely rare, for obvious reasons.
>>
How much of a wanker would I be if I made my own coat of arms?
>>
I just saw a book at a used book store that described all these things. It even said stuff like never put color on color or metal on metal.
>>
>>1422879
>He found his coat of arms
>his
Not how that works.

>>1423089
Burgundians were sneaky. Had to look out for them everywhere.

>>1423215
Prime wanker, but feel free. There are some secular groups which require you to design your own separate to any which may have been granted by the King of Arms/Lord Lyon.
>>
Does /his/ approve of this one?
https://www.houseofnames.com
>>
>>1423862
Oh God, it's like solidified cancer.
>>
yeah OP, you wanted someone to do the deciphering. My main knowledge relates to German Heraldik, but lets go.

Generally, telling by style its a late coat, renaissance as the oldest possible timeframe, but rather classicism. However, the helmet strikes me as oddly pure, I am missing some nice ornaments. And what the fuck is the ringlet thingy on top of it? Is that a dirt fucking peasants crown, mate? Nobility uses crowns n stuff to distuingish themselves from mere civilians. At least it is dexter (and therefore not sinister! as in "bad"), i.e. turning its head to the right.
Yeah, colours: black.. really? I give you a hint: black didnt mean positive shit back then either. Mostly associated with grief, but, I have to give in, also: endurance/stability. As green typically represents the opposite (joy, freedom), I tend to attribute this to the Irish heritage. Gold is self explanatory (majesty, virtue).
The inverted V on the shield stands for protection, which goes well with the 'stability' point.
The treefoil/clover shouldnt be too hard either. It represents christianity and eternity and, some of you may know this secret: FUCKING IRELAND ITSELF.
>>
>>1423920
>And what the fuck is the ringlet thingy on top of it?
Kidding, right? How can anyone say they know about heraldry but not know what the Torse is?
Your interpretation of the blazon is absurd, too. It was uncommon for arms to have too much meaning associated with them. That's a more modern innovation. You've also not used the proper names of the tinctures, so i'm guessing your highschool class on the subject wasn't very thorough.
>>
>>1423920
>>1423920
>As green typically represents the opposite (joy, freedom), I tend to attribute this to the Irish heritage
Green isn't really a colour that was associated with Ireland historically, that started in the late 18th century.
>FUCKING IRELAND ITSELF
But Loftus isn't an Irish name, and the shamrocks are the same deal with green, never really associated with Ireland until the last few years of the 18th century
>>
Since we are on this topic can anyone explai this one? All I know is that the direction of the bar could indicate a bastard.
>>
>>1424510
>All I know is that the direction of the bar could indicate a bastard.
Not how that works. Most of the time the College of Arms would just draw up some samples, and the applicant would pick.
>>
>>1424639
Where do people get all these wacky ideas about Arms, anon?
>>
>>1424688
Probably from people who started marketing them.
>Oh, you don't know anything about heraldry? That's fine! All i need is your last name, and i'll have a product for you!
And when that started drying up.
>You certainly want to buy this one. This line means that your family were kangz. And this symbol indicates that you were brave warriors. This colour shows that you are all extremely good looking and pious!

It was a bit of an eye twitching moment when i had to design personal arms as part of my membership of an organisation with particular meaning for me. But it was also nice to be able to make those silly assumptions true.
>>
>>1424714
Dude I know nothing of heraldry. I just came across something called bend sinister and that it sometimes might have indicated a bastard. I am not american btw so I don't know how popular heraldic keychains and bumper stickers are over there. Never seen it here.
>>
>>1424826
Aye, sorry bro, didn't mean to snap at you. Just get short with the people who peddle that nonsense.

But suffice to say, the chap who was awarded the arms may have been a bastard, but we can't tell from that alone.
>>
>>1424895
No problem man. Was just interested wether or not the colors and symbols in that particular coat of arms had any meaning. Its a rather obscure one kept in a heraldic database in Amsterdam. The only thing the piece of paper its on says is "coats of arms of notable families in the 7 provinces" then just that with the name.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.