[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At one point is one 'not a peasant'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1468020268296.gif (1019 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
1468020268296.gif
1019 KB, 500x245
You drive into a rural township, there are townies and farmers and small businessmen. Are they peasants?

And I don't mean peasant in a derogatory sense.
>>
>>1421857
You're not a peasant if you own land. But really we're not living in a feudal system so the distinction is meaningless.
>>
>>1421857
Lot's of things defined one's class such as clothing, lineage, occupation and property. what exactly made someone a "peasant" could differ in different cultures.
>>1421978
essentially this. Although heir were exceptions for people such as caravan merchants and some members of the royal palace. In the same sense, you could own a parsle of land on the very edge of a city state making just enough to get by and still be considered a peasant.
>>
>townies
Please elaborate on this.
>farmers
As in farm owners, or field hands and the like?
>small businessmen
Usually this is a trial-by-trial basis sort of thing, but generally, business owners are middle-class
>>
Peasant was a pretty vague term that people constantly misuse. There could be land owning peasants, business owning peasants, etc.

I think what you're thinking of is serf.
>>
>>1421857
The concept of the "peasant" is linked to social mobility.

If you're living in a feudal/caste-based society where you're almost invariably destined to live in the same social class as that of your parents, then the poor are peasants and the rich are aristocrats.

If you're living in a western liberal society, where you have a decent chance at upward mobility, then the poor are just poor, not peasants, and the rich are just rich, not aristocrats.
>>
>>1422003
>In the same sense, you could own a parsle of land on the very edge of a city state making just enough to get by and still be considered a peasant.

No you;d be a yeoman. A poor yeoman for sure, but not a peasant.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.