[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to sustain yourself as a philosopher? If I go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: money-05.jpg (159 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
money-05.jpg
159 KB, 800x450
Is it possible to sustain yourself as a philosopher? If I go to study philosophy How do i sustain myself?
Please no "go study something else" comments.
>>
Write
>>
Major for money, minor for love.

If you're really talented, or Asian, double major.
>>
>>1421441
Write what? What sort of jobs can i get as a philosophy graduate?
>>
>>1421442
>Major for money, minor for love.
Horrible advice for two reasons.

Average freshman, sophomore or Junior has no fucking clue what they love well enough to know they should minor in it.

Majoring in something you don't care about is a great way to be mediocre at it your whole life unless you're extraordinarily disciplined in which case you'll be successful regardless of what ramblings get posted on a Sumatra wood carving board.

Not finding and then pursuing your passion is the absolute best way to waste your life.

>>1421432
Becoming a writer or some kind of lecturer are the only way I can think of to make a lot of money "philosophizing".
>>
>>1421508
What do you mean by writer?
>>
>>1421499
>What sort of jobs can i get as a philosophy graduate?
Every supervising job that requires *a* college degree becomes open to you.

:-)
>>
>>1421513
A person that gets their written works published.
>>
It was back in the day when kings and princes who wanted to appear intellectual would pay you to sit on your ass all day pondering pointless shit.

So find one of those and you're sweet.
>>
>>1421499
>What sort of jobs can i get
You can pursue a career in mid level management
>>
Spit sophisms and famous quotes at random passerbies for spare change.
>>
>>1421499
>Write what?
Your thoughts.

Look, if even comprehending how philosophy can be transmitted from a philosopher to his audience (i.e. people that pay you) is beyond your ability, I would suggest you to stay the fuck out of the humanities, but if you want to go all the way, make sure the burgers aren't unflipped when I pay a visit to your future workplace.
>>
>>1421432
trades
r
a
d
e
s

or if your attractive, suck dick
>>
>>1421513
You can be an average published author and write some self help book or present your philosophical views in a dry manner. Or you can be clever and creative and present your views within a novel story. If you're good and you resonate with readers you can make a lot of money either way.

Although I hear say that the qualities that make good entrepreneurs are found in many successful authors.
>>
>>1421575
>present your philosophical views in a dry manner
"Bills Big Book of Why I Think Everything Sucks"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.