[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skyscrapers and the importance of structures thougout history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
How long will skyscrapers of today last? Of course this is a question of engineering but I think it fits here due to the social-economic importance of these buildings in our society. Do you think these buildings such as the Empire State building, the burj khalifa or even buildings such as the Eiffel tower will last as long as our civilization can sustain itself? I'm sure these questions were asked by ancient Egyptians and Romans, I'm interested in how they differ today.

Can they survive over 1000 years, 2000 years, 10,000 years? Cities of the past have disintegrated, all but few tourist attractions of shells of their former selves. I wonder how our modern building will be viewed in 1000+ years if they're still around.
>>
Presumably it's a question of the structural materials.

Steel skyscrapers would presumably have a harder time than concrete or reinforced concrete skyscrapers.

Of course, you could always Ship of Theseus that shit.

There's also always the possibility that the skyscrapers will die from something other than old age. They tend to be designed for earthquakes and other natural disasters, but I doubt it's 500 year level earthquakes. Plus tsunamis and shit that come around every so often.

Or, you know, social collapse, military action or terrorist attacks.
>>
>...will last as long as our civilization can sustain itself?

As long as our civilization is sustained, and those buildings are deemed culturally important, the buildings will last. They already require inspection and maintenance today, and just letting them rot and rust and eventually collapse is not what anyone would want given that those examples lie deep in their respective city
>>
reminds me of that thunderbirds episode where they move the empire state building
>>
>>1418301
>>1418301
>>1418301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8aLKHShv9o
documentary about earth after people, this part covers skyscrapers
>>
File: cat s.png (261 KB, 449x299) Image search: [Google]
cat s.png
261 KB, 449x299
>>1418361
upvoted
>>
How will they demolish them without wrecking everything 9/11 style?
>>
>>1418301
As long as civilization continues to have the resources and manpower to do so, you can retrofit and sustain these things forever. They are designed with that specifically in mind.

...barring 9/11 incidents, of course...

Some of the older mid-sized skyscrapers you do wind up having to tear down, but generally, you just put a bigger one up in its place.
>>
>>1418375
With cranes, from the top down.
>>
File: stock-photo-75728341.jpg (184 KB, 1004x1500) Image search: [Google]
stock-photo-75728341.jpg
184 KB, 1004x1500
>>1418375
very carefully
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.