[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly caused the shitclusterfuck that was the Lebanese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2016-07-13-22-57-27.png (275 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-13-22-57-27.png
275 KB, 1080x1920
What exactly caused the shitclusterfuck that was the Lebanese Civil War?

Like I get that the Lebanon was a patchwork of lots of different ethnic and religious groups, and that it was bound to explode at one point or another

But why did it happen in 1975 as opposed to any other time?
>>
File: lebanese victory.jpg (93 KB, 758x530) Image search: [Google]
lebanese victory.jpg
93 KB, 758x530
>>1409678
>upperclass rightist Maronites and lower class leftist muslims (many being Palestinian refugees) are not getting along
>cold war tensions all over the place
>the maronites start killing leftists and war starts
>the Palestine Liberation Organization relocates to Lebanon after Black September
>the PLO naturally sides with the leftists and nationalists of Lebanon
>Syria realizes that the PLO might bring israel into the war, so Syrian forces step in to stop the PLO
>Syria helps uses the Arab Deterrent Force and Amal Movement as fronts and takes control of swaths of Lebanon
>israel joins the war just to piss off the PLO and helps the Phalangists (maronites) genocide some Palestinian refugee camps
>multinational force steps in to support the Lebanese gov't
>Hezbollah takes control of Amal movment
>Yasser Arafat makes some deals and the PLO leaves
>general Michel Auon, with backing of the Phalangists, starts an anti-Syria campaign
>Syria occupies north Lebanon, israel takes the south
>Taif Agreement comes to the table, but Aoun denounces it
>Aoun loses hold of the Phalangists and they chimp out and kill each other
>Syrian forces attack Aoun's palace, kill a bunch of his supporters, and force him to flee to France
>Years later, the Cedar Revolution ousts Syria from Lebanon and the 2006 war ousts israel from the south

TL;DR don't start a civil war in an important geopolitical area during the Cold War
>>
>>1409678
Palestinians behaved like conquerors in Lebanon like they acted in Jordanie before the black september, their arrival also caused a demographic shift i.e christians became a minority and sunni became equal to shia in the country. With both of these reasons and Lebanon being created by french as a christian country, the christians didn't support that fact and didn't want to become dhimmi so they went full Deus Vult while the sunnis believed they could now bully the shia like in the old days, this caused all parties to prepare for the incoming religious war.
>>
>>1409752
So who exactly was the Lebanese government at the time? Sounds like every ethnoreligious group in Lebanon had a dog in the fight
>>
>>1409792
I think it and the military tore down the middle
>>
>>1409792
>So who exactly was the Lebanese government at the time?
It was mainly controlled by the Maronites.
>>
>>1409678
How many actual factions were there?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.