[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today I had a discussion with a co-worker about an ancient Greek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: untitled.png (109 KB, 245x206) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
109 KB, 245x206
Today I had a discussion with a co-worker about an ancient Greek who lived in both Athens, Sparta, and several other cities. I remember him being featured in a history channel documentary a few years ago, however I cannot remember his name other than he was described by one historian as the "Greek Chameleon." He apparently was very adept at adopting the customs of his adopted cities, being described as being "More Spartan than the Spartans" during his time there by one historian. He was eventually ousted from both cities for one reason or another and I believe he ended up in Asia Minor (could be wrong on this). Any idea who this figure might be? Its been nagging at me all day.
>>
>>1406031

Alcibiades.
>>
>>1406049
That's him. Thanks anon
>>
>>1406049
Yeah, he was an absolute mad man.
>born Athenian, student of socrates
>Gets athens to attack Syracuse who is allied with sparta
>gets charged with impiety because of some vandals
>leaves syracusan expedition to avoid charges
>goes to sparta, lives as a spartan
>fucks the wife of the spartan king
>goes to persia,helps satrap in Asia minor
>convinces Athenian aristocrats to overthrow the democracy
>convinces the army/navy to overthrow the aristocrats and reinstate a democracy.
>>
>>1406031
Sounds like Alkibiades. The guy is probably one of the most underrated historical figures of all time. He swapped sides multiple times in the 28 year long Peloponnesian War to lead the armies of both Sparta and Athens, and his advice being ignored by the Athenians led to their crushing final defeat in 403.
>>
>>1407281
>Sicilian Expedition

That was the original Operation Barbarossa.
>>
>>1407281
He's like the original mighty whitey
>>
>>1407281
>born Athenian
he was part spartan and a nephew of pericles
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.