[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't any of the to-be Allied counties do anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: treaty-of-versailles.jpg (81 KB, 321x246) Image search: [Google]
treaty-of-versailles.jpg
81 KB, 321x246
Why didn't any of the to-be Allied counties do anything when it was revealed in 1935 that Germany was rearming, breaking the treaty of Versailles?
>>
I mean, I get that they wanted to avoid instigating another war, but wasn't it well over apparent that the German rearmament was preparing for just that anyway?
>>
>>1417404
>>1417346
Probably because they had just lost 25% of their male population over the course of 4 years well within living memory and didn't want to deal with that shit again. No one wanted war in 1936 and no one wanted war in fucking 1939.
>>
>>1417420
plus they weren't ready for another war and though that if they just let Hitler do whatever he wants, he might stop at some point.
>>
>>1417420
>>1417441
Fair enough, although
>thought that if they just let Hitler do whatever he wants, he might stop at some point
is what baffles me.
Oh well, I'm just gonna continue studying, maybe it'll get clearer.
>>
>>1417472
>is what baffles me.
It really shouldn't. They had quite literally just fought the most devastating war of all time. Even the Germans were wary of conflict when it broke out in '39, but had a "it's coming at some point so we might as well do it while they're less prepared." Hell, Germany didn't even expect the victories they had over the Allies in '39 and '40. They were fully expecting France and Britain to come bursting through the Siegfried which was outnumbered 5 to 1, but the Allies never did outside of a very short French offensive with little gain, preferring a defensive war.
>>
>>1417346

They thought Germany rearming would be a pretty good bulkhead against Soviet westward expansion.
>>
>>1417497
>>1417498
Thanks.
>>
>>1417472
Appeasement was the goal
>>
>>1417346
Because if the Allies toppled the new german regime their replacement would have no doubt been the german communist party. And the western powers absolutely wanted to avoid that.
>>
Britain and France were re-arming for a war.

Germany was re-arming for a war.

They were -all- aiming for War 41, but Hitler messed up and started it in 39.

As for Italy... should have waited two years and declared for the Allies.
>>
>>1417346
War was unpopular. To keep their party's popularity they've sabotaged their chances at winning with Germany. Have any politician in France had balls to start rearming back in 1935 or 1936 he would lose the next election but none of his successors would revert his policies. At some point it was simply too late - in the UK, Baldwyn had great opportunity successfully put Hitler down by intervening right after remilitarisation of rheinland but didn't. Then Chamberlain thought it'll be all okay until Munich when he realised that Allies are too weak to win with Germany right now so he has to delay the war for as long as possible since Germany WILL fuck up their economy at their pace. At the same time, allies would rearm on steadier but more sustainable pace which would let them win. Of course, after everybody realised that Munich only gave them few months of peace, it came to their realisation that they won't have that extra time.
>>
>>1417346
>Why didn't any of the to-be Allied counties do anything when it was revealed in 1935 that Germany was rearming, breaking the treaty of Versailles?

They did.

https://www.ciaonet.org/attachments/11898/uploads
>>
>>1417346
But they did.
The 30's was a period of massive military expansion, and tons of funding was put into researching new technologies like self loading rifles, bombers, fighters, radar, etc
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.