[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did king-philosophers never existed? Is it because philosophers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: aXm3537xjU.jpg (55 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
aXm3537xjU.jpg
55 KB, 650x650
Why did king-philosophers never existed? Is it because philosophers are shit kings or kings are shit in philosophy?
>>
File: Pedro2.jpg (58 KB, 469x599) Image search: [Google]
Pedro2.jpg
58 KB, 469x599
Hello.
>>
Marcus Aurelius was an emperor and a philosopher.

In their original sense, the ruling class of Kallipolis didn't exist because Kallipolis didn't exist in the first place.
>>
There was one in Athena I believe when Sulla was in power. I believed while the city was being sieged he stood at the gate singing means songs and generally being useless.
>>
>>1416257
Was he got emperor or good philosopher?
>>
>>1416254
>"I was born to devote myself to culture and sciences"
>he was able to speak and write not only Portuguese but also Latin, French, German, English, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Chinese, Occitan and Tupi.
>Pedro II's erudition amazed Friedrich Nietzsche when both met. Victor Hugo told the Emperor: "Sire, you are a great citizen, you are the grandson of Marcus Aurelius", and Alexandre Herculano called him: "A Prince whom the general opinion holds as the foremost of his era because of his gifted mind, and due to the constant application of that gift to the sciences and culture." He became a member of the Royal Society, the Russian Academy of Sciences, The Royal Academies for Science and the Arts of Belgium and the American Geographical Society. In 1875, he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences, an honor previously granted to only two other heads of state: Peter the Great and Napoleon Bonaparte. Pedro II exchanged letters with scientists, philosophers, musicians and other intellectuals. Many of his correspondents became his friends, including Richard Wagner, Louis Pasteur, Louis Agassiz, John Greenleaf Whittier, Michel Eugène Chevreul, Alexander Graham Bell, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Arthur de Gobineau, Frédéric Mistral, Alessandro Manzoni, Alexandre Herculano, Camilo Castelo Branco and James Cooley Fletcher.

Based as fuark
also:

>finds out he is to become emperor still as a child
>spends all of his childhood studying to become best emperor
>>
>>1416275
Both
>>
USSR
>>
>>1416275
Remembered as one of the Five Good Emperors by Machiavelli, because he had moderate policies and earned the respect of his contemporaries, and at the same time one of the most influential Stoics.

Peisistratos is probably another good, smart, moderate, popular model autocrat, although he didn't leave us writings, he wanted Homer's works to be copied and archived, a proto-philosopher king if there ever were any, a tyrant in Athens praised by Aristotle, a defender of democracy, of all people.
>>
>>1416294
It was really his guardians who forced him to study so you can thank them for creating such a humanist God emperor.
>>
Wasn't Marcus Aurelius the philosopher king?
>>
>>1416316
Yes, already mentioned.

I suppose James I could also work for a very cultured king.
>>
File: 453-6-1[1].jpg (19 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
453-6-1[1].jpg
19 KB, 300x279
Well, Ivan Mazepa was very well-educated and he encouraged development in all cultural spheres with such great results that the common architectural style of the time is often called "Mazepa baroque" but he was not a philosopher per se.

Outside of that there's Marcus Aurelius who has already been mentioned.
>>
>>1416254
>>1416294
>>1416311
Didnt he hate his job so much that he let some randoma ssholes take over and run the nation into the ground despite his overwhelming support?
>>
>>1417020
More Info or reccomended lecture on this.
You cant be "god emperor" material and do something this weak
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.