[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be convinced that my life means nothing or almost nothing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
I want to be convinced that my life means nothing or almost nothing. I feel like it would bring me comfort and alleviate my worries. Convince me.
>>
>>1415812
You don't exist. Your life doesn't exist. Meaning requires existence to be meaningful. Aye?
>>
>>1415812
your life means almost nothing

there you go
>>
>>1415812
If you're not an influential person, it's almost impossible that you will be truly known or remembered after your death past 150 years. Your life doesn't matter and has no consequence.
>>
>>1415831
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1416678
It means that meaning doesn't exist and therefore meaning is meaningless
>>
>>1416940
meaning what?
>>
>>1416953
Obviously it doesn't mean anything as I just explained
>>
>>1416958
so you mean you just explained it but if meaning is meaningless how did you explain it?
>>
>>1416980

I don't know what you mean.
>>
>>1416673
That doesn't negate the fact I can marginally benefit my tribe and that I can create an environment for my gene to be more aptly descended, through finding a more appealing mating partner and through gaining more material solvency, which is a visceral feeling that every human has whether or not they want, unless they can somehow intellectually dismiss it - if you can, please teach me how.
>>
Just think about how long would you be remembered after you die.
Let's say you die now, what would it be? Some 50 years?
Your parents, siblings and friends would go about remembering you till they die.
If you live your life and die when you're old, then you'll be remembered through your possible kids and relatives maybe 30-50 years, and after that, no one is there, no one whose life you're touched will remember you, none of the shit things you did matter, all those apologies that you never said, none of it has any meaning to anyone, and soon, they'll remove your tombstone and bury someone else on top of your decaying remains.

It's a good feeling to realize how irrelevant we all are.

It's good to watch these too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkoML0_FiV4
>>
>>1417039
I don't realise it though. Sure, I'm not relevant in the grand scheme of things, but I still feel the biological imperative that every living organism on this earth does to spread its' genes. This manifests in modern society through our desire of a mating partner and through creating material (financial) solvency for creating the best conditions for doing so.

People who have my genes 100 years ago won't know or care about me and frankly I don't care that they don't, but the problem is, there's a burning, visceral, fundamental feeling that still tells me to go about my organismic imperatives to find a partner and procreate. How do I negate this?
>>
>>1417004
nothing?
>>
>>1417050
I didn't know this was about you finding a partner, or not being able to, so you want to "not care about anything" like any edgy 17-year old. You should've mentioned that in the opening post, then I wouldn't have wasted time writing all that.
>>
>>1417050
Bullet to the head negates everything.
>>
>>1417050
>my organismic imperatives to find a partner and procreate. How do I negate this?

Bringing a child to this world is highly selfish. How do you explain to that child that there are a ton of abandoned houses in every city of the so called civilized world, yet there's still homeless people.
How do you explain to that child that we're the only species on this planet that has to pay simply because he/she exists?
>>
>>1415812
The great scientist and philosopher Daniel Dannett the third says that consiousness is an illusion. You are an automated machine that thinks it has any say on anything.
>>
>>1417075
I'm not OP. This isn't finding a partner or not being able to. I've had GFs in the past. The thing I'm saying is that it's 'human' and frankly 'animal' nature to 'want' a mating partner and children in order to fulfil their inherent biological need of spreading their genes.

What I'm after is an intellectual argument that would somehow curtail said biological imperative.

>>1417077
I'm fighting that already. I find some things enjoyable in life but there's always the tinging feeling of having to be a fucking organism below. I wish I could describe 'being a fucking organism' more eloquently and less autsitically

>>1417097
It is selfish, but it's nature. It's only considered 'selfish', as in the negatively connoted idea of 'selfishness' that is constructed by intelligent philosophers. On a purely animal level, it is 'very important' to ensure your genes are spread and that outweighs 'selfishness' for me subconsciously to such a level it hurts me consciously. My parents never explained to me that there's still homeless people, I figured it out myself. Other species also have to pay for their existence; if a hummingbird doesn't eat for 15 minutes while its awake, it dies.
>>
>>1415812
everything matters.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.