[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were Spanish tercios so superior in 16th and 17th century?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: tercio-flandes.jpg (91 KB, 796x960) Image search: [Google]
tercio-flandes.jpg
91 KB, 796x960
Why were Spanish tercios so superior in 16th and 17th century?
Even when Spain lost battle, it was usually because non-Spanish formations cracked.
Others adopted same tactics, but nothing approached the quality of Spanish formations.
>>
Probably a convergence of good stats timming ( and their mangas and privados hace them some advantage)
>>
tercios superiority slowly fell down along with the range of the musket increased

their superiority in close combat and h2h combat became irrevelant

exactly the same happened to the chinese and japanese armies in the 19th
>>
Spanish tercios were what you call an elite army. High discipline, top equipment, loyalty and shit.

Also the Tercios were usually named as "los viejos tercios" "the old tercios" because of the advanced age of the soldiers. An old veteran who fought tons of battles and survived has more value 10 newbies.

>>1405017
Also this. Tercios fell together with the pike. These soldiers were famous in Europe for being absolute savages in close combat and never giving up. The improvement of fire weapons and artillery made them completely obsolete.
>>
Money.
>>
>>1405360
>high discipline and loyalty
As long as they got paid in time...
>>
>>1405646
>As long as they got paid in time...
Actually, the crown abused of their loyalty like cunts. Late payment was common. But their patience had a limit, like everything...
>>
>>1405646
Actually the Tercios Viejos never refused a fight. They were one of the few armies of they times than even in a mutiny would fight even if they weren't paid before the fight or even after, like the Mutiny of Amberes or Harleem. Honra and Honour were incredible important for them, and discipline was brutal.
>>
File: HeimBattleRocroy.jpg (68 KB, 708x598) Image search: [Google]
HeimBattleRocroy.jpg
68 KB, 708x598
>>1404388
Battle of Rocroi put an end to that, thanks to the Duc d'Enghien.
>>
>>1404388
Call me a retard, but I never understood what kind of formation tercio is, even after reading Wikipedia.
>>
>>1407357
In that battle non-Spanish formations cracked first, while Spanish tercios held out for hours. Bad example senpai.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.