[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No such thing as good or bad. You voluntarily believe in morals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
No such thing as good or bad.

You voluntarily believe in morals because they makes you feel good when someone says you did a good job. You are just in it for the thrill, you dont care about others or the planet. And that's OK.

Just look at nature and the animals for proof. Where's the justice there? Justice in the human kingdom is, ironically, delivered through more violence.
>>
>>1411240
What if I believe something not because of how it makes me feel, but because of the inherent orderly virtue it may possess?

What about that, you nihilistic, cock sucking, animal?
>>
>>1411248
>inherent orderly virtue
dopamine thrill
>>
There is definitely such thing as bad, since this board is flooded nonstop with bad threads.
>>
>>1411248
>I think poetry and architecture are pretty neat
dopamine thrill, no different from the desire to reproduce in pigeons or pigs
>>
>>1411250
>>1411260

No dopamine thrill in fighting against a vice, or developing character. The hell are you talking about? You sound sheltered as shit.
>>
>>1411248
you are just looking for stability in things that cant deliver that through emotion.
you need to rediscover the stillness in youself.
>>
>>1411288
these things dont deliver in the long run. you'll always be left wanting more things to make you feel good.
Enough. Find your stillness.
>>
What's the difference between:
>seeing justrice delivered on a criiminal
>finding a mate to reproduce
>spending money
>vacationing away from a tiring month

They are all the same. Products of an unstable mind that hasnt found its center, its stillness.
>>
>>1411306
Have you ever considered the difference between "it is" and "it is not"?

The act of breath is an act for you "to be" while the cessation of that would clearly be "not being"

Likewise, eating is a basis for you "to be."

If you want to dissect that, consider the difference between eating a carrot, and eating a leather belt. You can see the difference between "it is good" and "it is not good", good being interchangeable with "orderly"

You can apply this kind of thinking to ideas as well if you like. You want to divorce yourself from this because it makes your life easier, right? You don't have to risk having a thought?
>>
>>1411306
I'd recommend you reflect on the name of God.

I AM.

God made everything THAT IS. God made everything GOOD. Try to understand Christ without bias to develop yourself.
>>
>>1411356
That sounds like textbook cult indoctrination, no thanks.
>>
Pretty much most of immoral actions are also illegal so it doesn't matter what I think of it.

Why they are illegal? Because society is more productive when everyone isn't constant dicks to each other.
>>
>>1411369
Okay. Kind of silly of you but you might think differently later in life, and I hope you'll know where to look when your nihilism is over and you want an answer to something.
>>
>>1411248

>inherent orderly virtue

What the fuck are even talking about you literal turbo faggot
>>
>>1411427
Maybe after I've lived a productive life and dementia sets in I will be content to daydream.
>>
>>1411369
Kind of odd for the dismissal to be from a knee jerk reaction, now that I think about it. I guess that says alot about the depth and seriousness of your person, or whatever depth can be achieved from "_________"
>>
File: andsowebeaton.jpg (173 KB, 887x900) Image search: [Google]
andsowebeaton.jpg
173 KB, 887x900
>find your stillness
>>
>>1411240
If you saw a small child being molested, being raped and tortured, saw its tears and blood, heard it screams and cries, and you could do nothing to stop it, would your stomach not wrench? Would your heart not ache in pain and misery as you saw such horror inflicted on a babe?
>>
This thread is cringe worthy. Even among animals you'll find altruism and cooperation as major focal points of their social structures, and social animals tend to be the most successful organisms (ants spring readily to mind).

If you're going to be a moral nihilist, I recommend you spend more time thinking through your thought. Believing their isn't an external moral truth doesn't mean you can't see utility to morality.

t. nihilist (yes, even mereological)
>>
>>1411356
He also made everything that is evil.
>>
>>1411497
>t. somebody that doesn't know the material in question
>>
>>1411485
It's not odd or kneejerk, it's informed by my understanding of how cults works.

You accuse me of not being "deep" or "serious" as a social conditioning insult from a self-presuming position of authority. Or more likely, you have been trained to attack "nihilism" or whatever phantom you project onto others.
>>
>>1411499
Yes, yes, it was the fall from grace that did it, and evil is just a privation of good. But God created the initial conditions, and knew the fall would happen, he chooses to be absent from those things that deprived of good.
>>
>>1411495

>mereological nihilist

Why, though?
>>
>>1411509
I was a nihilist when I was about 19-20 years old, but I didn't know it was called that.
>>1411510
>he chooses to be absent from those things that deprived of good.

You know forced love isn't called love.
>>
>>1411495
there is no morality, there is utility
yes, this universe is mechanical.
thank you.
>>
>>1411519
It's just a product of attempting to understand the nature of the universe and divinity. The way I figure it, the distinctions between objects are strictly a product of our minds (well all minds, not just our own), rather than a strict product of the external universe itself.

It plays into my understanding of pantheism; a perfect god would have to be all things at all times, and the only thing I could find that fits the bill is the universe itself. In this view, the only things that truly are are the component particles, and time itself is just a measure of change (which itself is just a distinction we apply as a course of perception and thought).
>>
>>1411532
>You know forced love isn't called love.

God's all powerful, anything is whatever he wants it to be.

Frankly. I like the Old Testament god better. There's no bullshit with how you stand with him. He's in charge, and he'll fucking wreck your shit for disagreeing. There's no bizarre abstraction of being some sort of omnipresent loving entity of pure benevolence.
>>
>>1411538
>the distinctions between objects are strictly a product of our minds (well all minds, not just our own), rather than a strict product of the external universe itself.

But doesn't this suggest a distinction between one thing, 'mind', and another, the 'external universe'--or maybe we could say between the 'internal universe' and the 'external universe', which together would compose 'the universe'?
>>
>>1411547
You know true love implies unity, he's written such things in all of our hearts. You shouldn't hide behind what you think God should be.

The Old Testament was the law.

The New Testament is your judge.

The lawgiver took the consequences of the law on Himself. He has all authority. There are no discrepancies. The Father and Christ are one.
>>
>>1411240
>No such thing as good or bad.
>You voluntarily believe in morals because they makes you feel good
>they makes you feel good
wew
>>
>>1411248
>inherent orderly virtue
Is this a new meme?

OP is not wrong desu senpai.
>>
>>1411240
A kilogramme of steel.
>>
>>1411240
>animals are like this so that's how we should be too

Great argument dipshit. Le everything is just dopamine xddd

Go outside you fucking faggot child
>>
>>1411582

>You know true love implies unity

That genuinely sounds like something a creepy stalker would say
>>
>>1412514
Nah bro the new meme is "vertical transcendental" knowledge.
>>
>>1412556
epin, have some gold xddd
>>
>>1412556
Big bad nihilist continues with his silly reactions.

wew
>>
>>1411240
Or try this: morality doesn't matter.

So long as what you care about and want persists and develops, right of wrong are strictly pointless. If you happen to want to harm people, still, or rape kids, and make a world where those things don't happen, good for you. But nothing beyond the stars is going to shed tears if you decide to be a beast creature.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>1413390
*if you happen to not want

Important typo
>>
Stopped there
Go back to tumblr
>>
>>1413412
It's a spook
>>
File: animal_empathy.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
animal_empathy.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>1411240
Animals, when their survival instinct is sated, tend to let their empathy instinct run rampant.

And yes, we are good because it feels good - because as social mammals, we have that same empathy instinct, from which all our morality is built upon, and our survival instinct, is largely sated. In that same situation, they, like us, tend to only be bad when they feel threatened, be it physically, or emotionally.
>>
>>1413454
Nah it's a spook
>>
>>1413466
If you think instinct is a spook, see how long you can hold your breath.

...Or try to finish "Your Lie in April" without coming to tears.
>>
>>1413475
Anime is a spook
>>
>>1411563
It does. But in this case, I'm referring strictly to distinctions between physical objects.

I don't have an actual explanation for the phenomenon of consciousness. I just don't know enough about it.
>>
>good and evil don't exist just b urself :333
>ok i kind of want to kiss cute little girl privates
>REEEEEE FUCKING PEDOS DIEEEE

Is there honestly anything more disingenuous?
>>
>>1412508
you know what he meant, i refuse to believe youre this retarded
>>
File: -.png (27 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
-.png
27 KB, 500x480
>>1411240
>>
>>1416034
Lmao fucking stay fucking spooked kid. Just accept I'm your intellectual superior and shut. the. fuck. up. Muh property xD
>>
>>1411306
> muh stillness
Hurry up and die then you fucking zen moron, plenty of stillness in the grave
>>
I just live by the universal rule of don't be a dick.
>>
>>1411240
OP is wrong. Humans believe in morals to prevent social exclusion. Morals are just part of the social contract to make life better for each and every one of us. It has nothing to do with someone saying that you did a good job. Also it's not that much related with the thrill, but more with the will to live.
>>
>>1416034
>thinks moral realism is coherent nor stands to scutiny
>>
>>1416061
>>1416061
Jeez I didn't think I'd get a fedora tip from you.

You're not intellectually superior. You hide behind a holy grail of "I already know everything, NIHILISM!" because that's what stupid, simple minds do when they want to understand the world.

You simplify the world to suit your own stupidly simple head.
>>
>>1411240
Morals are necessary for law, which is necessary for society.

We can ditch morality, but then we would live like animals.
>>
>>1416011
I know what he meant and that is the appropriate response. If you didn't get what I meant then I think you are the retard.
>implying pleasure is not the source of moral value
>not being hedonist master race
>>
>>1414261
No, most nihilists will tell you that there's nothing inherently wrong with raping children. It doesn't disturb any sort of "cosmic order" because the only true cosmic order is chaos. It's just that as humans we have evolved to find those actions to be degenerative to civilization. Because of that evolutionary altruism, we have created laws which me must all follow. You can do whatever you want, and there will be no divine consequence. Only the consequence of those around you who believe your actions to be wrong. Don't be stupid. You can be as evil as you want to be as long as you never get caught.
>>
>>1418047
we already live like animals, we are animals you fool
>>
>>1418021
I've gotta disagree with you here friend. I've always found that the people who cling to ideas like religion, tradition, true morality, etc. to be simply afraid of what will happen to their mind when they accept the only single truth of the universe which is: that there is no single truth.

You want things to be explained to you because you can't handle the idea that things can't be explained, and by definition, the universe doesn't abide by whichever laws of morality you try to find within it. There will always be pure good in all of us, at the same time there is pure evil in us. Stop trying to look for an answer, accept that there is no answer and there will never be one.
>>
>>1418295
Oh sorry, I forgot about AnimalChan, where dogs shitpost about cats all day long.
>>
>>1418290
I hate faggot cucks like you who think spouting this cringey jrpg villain bullshit will make them seem cool and interesting so they won't have to actually fucking educate themselves and live life

And no I don't think objective morality exists. One less strawman for you you cocksucking mong
>>
>>1418290
>You can be as evil as you want to be as long as you never get caught.
In addition to being unlikely, you can never escape yourself.
>>
>You voluntarily believe in morals
stop reading here. you kids need to stop learning from shitposts and actually study
>>
>>1418336
I'm sorry that you hated my reply, I was really just being honest about what I believe to be objectively true in life. I'm not trying to be a cringey comic book villian or whatever you think. I live my life obeying most laws and trying to help people in many of the ways that I can just because I know I don't like being an asshole and that even if there are no consequences to my actions I still want to try to be good. But I'm not under any illusion that I do it for any other reason than the validation of others.

There a very real sense of freedom when you can learn to accept that there are no divine consequences, no true right or wrong, no set of laws or rules or anything to get us through this life. We are born, we gain consciousness, we lose consciousness. Anything we do in between then is up to us.
>>
>>1418345
But of course you can. People can rationalize and justify even the most heinous acts, if they truly believe they were doing it for a good purpose or they were defending themselves. People skate through life all the time as complete psychopaths, using people only for their benefit, hurting and even killing innocent people, and they never face the consequences of their actions, and die happy at an old age.

Where is the justice in that? Oh yeah, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>1418542
Okay well sorry for being such an asshole but while there are no objective moral rules handed down from on high there are objectively better ways to live than others that are written into the very structure and dynamics of the universe, such as the inherent emptiness of pure mindless hedobism
>>
>>1418555
But I don't see how you can find that to be true. Do you think the universe would care if everyone here on earth spiraled into "mindless hedonism" started participating in orgies, killing children, selling each other into slavery, making blood sacrifices? Of course the universe wouldn't care, we would wipe each other out and the universe would keep going as if nothing had happened.

There are evolutionary traits we have developed to further the advancement of human civilization, and some degree of empathy and morality seems to be a large part of that. But that has nothing to do with the structure and dynamics of the universe. The advancement of human civilization is neither a good nor bad thing in relation to the universe. In fact it doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>1418552
Yeah, but most of us aren't lucky enough to be born psychopaths, and thus have our internal emotional punishment systems intact.
>>
>>1418568
It isn't about something caring. it's just cause and effect. There's no reason to assume because humans are relative and therefore their morality is relative that human morality does not still reflect (abstractly) hard facts of conscious experience. Do x a lot, you get y, be a degenerate, you lose your mind, be more mindful, you feel at peace.

All moral thought is grounded in the recognition of the other. The universe is a system and the harmony of agents within this system. Morality is not just an evolutionary trick, it is closely tied with the underlying structure of the universe
>>
>>1418299
That's the only truth?
>>
>>1411240
Oh look another fagot that doesn't understand the concepts of good and bad because the retarded Christian meme that doing good has to be 100% selfless.
>>
We as a species generally believe in and practice morality because it actually serves a purpose. Morals are, at their most basic level, codes of conduct whose purpose is to enhance social cohesion within a group.
>>
>>1419030
Do you know of any other?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.