[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would medieval street fights go down? Would one knock the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: vp9tes.jpg (188 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vp9tes.jpg
188 KB, 640x480
How would medieval street fights go down? Would one knock the other down and keep stomping until a dude died or was there a sense of honour? Did the law get involved at all?
>>
>>1410863
Have you played Assassins Creed II?
Saw the first scene with Ezio?

Yes, like that.
>>
>>1410888
I haven't. Did niggas get stomped out like dayum bitch ain't no cops coming ya'll getting seizures bitch?
>>
bamp
>>
>>1410905
Nah. The scene was some dude was talking shit of Ezio, the main character, particularly his family and this led to Ezio challenging him to a fistfight at a bridge in Florence. He brought his budds, and his enemy brought his budds. Niggas stomped each other until the Militia was called to get them to stop it.
>>
>>1410863
Have you read Romeo and Juliet?
>>
>one dude
Your whole family. If you ended up doing serious harm, you just triggered a feud.
>>
>>1410967
For real? Even amongst stock standard peasants?
>>
>>1411006
Family sirius bizness back then
>>
>>1410863
It varied.

You might get two guys stepping outside for fisticuffs.

You might get a bartender handing out halberds to one side of a a brawl in his inn.

>the law
WHAT law?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>1411030
>WHAT law?

didn't they have medieval cops who would handle shit like this?
>>
>>1411046
No.

Closest you get are militia, and their job is far more one of dealing with people being shitty at night, quelling major disturbances before a riot breaks out, firewatch, and war.

A LOT of places wouldn't even have that.
>>
>>1410863
If you live in a small village/town or something you wouldn't kill anybody. You see everyone every day and everyone's related to everyone so you just killed a relative of half the town. For the sake of keeping peace your ass is now exiled. And that's a big deal back then. Remember how in Romeo & Juliet Romeo despairs just because he's exiled? Your life is over if you're out of your community. Who the hell else cares about you?

>a sense of honour
how about not being a psychopath? Most fights throughout human history didn't end with somebody having their head stomped in.
>>
>>1411062
>how about not being a psychopath?

That isn't related to not wanting to stomp heads in.
>>
>>1411123
Anon what are your thoughts on small animals?
>>
In England every peasant carried a knife at all times outside their house. Even if you had no other possessions you would own and carry a knife. Weapons of opportunity were commonly used as well, blacksmith's hammer, wood axes, rocks, etc

There might be small scuffles that didn't escalate to extreme violence, pushing matches etc, but if anything actually escalated to a real "fight" where someone intended to do great bodily harm to you you would never face them unarmed.

The law did exist in medieval England and if you killed someone and there were witnesses you were pretty much guaranteed to be arrested. On a murder trial if it was your first offense you'd generally be given the opportunity to read a piece of parchment with a bible verse on it, if you succeeded you'd be acquitted. The parchment always had the same verse so in later years the verse became fairly common knowledge and the reading became more of a formality, then after a while of it being a formality the judges would only sometimes grant an acquittal for being able to read it and it became something that was used to spare people for things like manslaughter if the judge was sympathetic.

Otherwise the penalty for murder was pretty much always death. Most serious assaults resulted in the victim's death so the charge was pretty much always murder. If the victim survived you might get sentenced to death or you might have to pay his family a large fine, usually in the form of property: cattle, sheep etc. If you couldn't pay the fine there's a good chance you'd be hanged.
>>
>>1411128
I love animals, I feel closer to them than humans. That said when I was a kid I would do what I did with them, we had this small laundry area in my apartment where cats would roam. I remember one pissing itself with fear and I just felt anger towards it for making such a mess.
>>
>>1411134
So a person couldn't get into a scrap and just let it all out without fear of the law?
>>
>>1410863
>Law
>Medieval times

kek
>>
>>1411140
Did you just imply that you were raping your cat regularly as a child?
>>
>>1411245
Nah don't get crazy now, only weird cunts fuck animals
>>
>>1411196
If you just walked up to someone in a medieval English village and punched them there are 3 likely outcomes;

1. He gets knocked unconscious, people cause a commotion, you're restrained and brought to the Reeve, you're fined and possibly branded
2. He tries to grapple you, if other people see what's happening there's a good chance they help him, you're restrained and brought to the Reeve, fined and possibly branded
3.He stabs you
>>
>>1411274
I guess times haven't changed that much
>>
>>1411245
Who doesn't rape his cat regularly while a child?
>>
>>1411046
they had watchmen, in towns, just about every man had to take a turn doing it, it was a shit detail, no one liked it, and in Shakespeare's Much Ado they poke fun at the notorious incompetence and laziness of watchmen. You don't have a large force, and they were seldom active except at night, to walk around and make sure no one was doing something wrong

in more rural settlements, they didn't have those. Enforcement of law meant you just appeared before a council of peasants and they'd decide your punishment or just tell you off. No one cared about fights
>>
>>1411006
Peasants weren't important enough to feud; they just got involved in drunken stabbings and shit.
>>
>>1411274
They still had self-defense laws, though; if someone of equal or lesser social standing attacked you first unprovoked (with witnesses around) and you killed them then you'd generally get off scot-free.
>>
>>1410863
The fight would go down like any fight, probably not meaning to kill but going too far.

Yes they had law, the murderer would likely be killed unless he could prove with very good reason why he was justified. Medieval law was blunt and brutal.
>>
>>1411054
Don't talk shit.

First of all a lack of guards or watchmen doesn't mean a lack of law even slightly.
It is unlikely that most places would have had guards but regardless the grieved party would go to a local court against whoever he's challenging. In OPs situation the deadmans family or wife would take the killer to court where he would mostly likely be found guilty and executed.

But this is all extremely generalised, literally 1000 years of history in many different countries.

In the 12th century we start to see the development of Common Law, that is the same law for all men all across the Kingdom, rather than local courts with local laws under different barons, which were often grossly in their favour.
>>
>>1411816

Of course they were.
>>
>>1411816
and after that the stabbed guy's brother got drunk, stabbed the stabber and slightly after got stabbed himself. and that's what we call "a feud"
>>
>>1411864
this.
There was law back in the medieval ages but it worked highly different then it does now. For example if there is no defendant party, the local court and lawmen usualy wouldn't persecute out of themself. If a crime wasn't brought before them then they wouldn't look into it.
For most of western europe it was like this until napoleon reformed and allowed lawmen to look into crimes without it being brought to them.

keep in mind this no defendant party is a very gray area, cause if in OP case you stab and kill a man that somehow had no family, chances are people in the village are gonna report your ass and become the defendant party.
>>
>>1411134
do you happen to know the specific bible verse?
>>
>>1411894
>defendant
you mean prosecutor
>>
>>1411989
english isn't my native language. I meant party that was wronged.
>>
>>1411816
>Peasants weren't important enough to feud

Are you stupid?
Peasants had families too, anon, and they had grudges too. It's not like they just went "oh we're not important anyway so let's bury the hatchet."
It obviously wouldn't be feuds like "We've hated those damn Smiths for twenty generations!" but it's not like peasants couldn't keep track of their fathers/grandfathers/etc.
>>
>>1410863
Things would probably go like these, it would change from era and place.
> Be 1040
> adelfrwedwrik "the peasant" of basbaravia is having a cider with ofelstains "horsedung scooper" of cuck hill
> alfie insinuates that ofel's wife may be a bit of a hoe
> ofel's answer is that is not what alfie wife had said when she was choking on his cock
> alfie as an enraged drunk basbaravian takes insult and proceeds to smash the cider jar on ofel's head
> ofel having received far worse blows from an old mare takes his trusty poo scooper and bashes alfie head
> as cuck mountain people are treacherous he proceed to repeaditly bash poor alfie's head in until the watchmen arrive
> "oy! Is that an unlicensed poo scooper? You cheeky cunt you come with us aye"
> On the same day afternoon ofel hangs from the gallow tree on the charges of indecency, manslaughter and disrespect for ducal authority since he didnt sport a royally validated poop scooper license
> there was much rejoicing
> alfie wakes up 3 days later after three trepanation and leeching atempts and two exorcisms
> to this day he is still being cucked
>>
>>1410863
Most likely a lot more restrained and civilized than today, as one had powerful group cohesion, social ostracization and harsh physical punishment, which is a much more effective mode of deterrence than modern so-called justice, with their trials and their prison sentences.
>>
>>1410863
The truth is we don't know. No one bothered to write down the history of drunken brawls that poor people got into. We can make guesses basedo on cultural hints and the laws but we really don't have sources. History is not the past history is the information that people bothered to record.
>>
>>1413039
decent chuckle
>>
>>1411864
That is still not in any way equivalent to medieval cops.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.