[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the closest language to proto-indo-european?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: indo-european_branches_map.png (272 KB, 1479x1361) Image search: [Google]
indo-european_branches_map.png
272 KB, 1479x1361
what is the closest language to proto-indo-european?
>>
Among the current languages?

Various Indian dialects and Lithuanian, I think.
>>
>>1410277
Among old but well known languages? Hitite.
>>
>>1410277
Lithuanian, then Latin. Greek Blanda upp'd with some indigenous language so it got muddled.
>>1410325
"No"
>>
Lithuanian, Basque, possibly Nuristani. Basically anywhere that was isolated from other invaders for thousands of years
>>
>>1410342
Greek is far closer to PIE than Latin or Lithuanian.
>>
>>1410347
> Basque
Say what?
>>
>>1410277
Peasant Lithuanian
>>
>>1410342
How is Hittite not closer? It even kept the pharyngeal consonants.
>>
>>1410466
It's grammar is extremely simplified compared to Greek and Sanskrit. It also has a very innovative phonology aside from retaining laryngeals.
>>
>>1410277
French
>>
File: dffsd.jpg (19 KB, 482x960) Image search: [Google]
dffsd.jpg
19 KB, 482x960
>>1410347
>basque
>>
>>1410349
It's Lithuanian.
>>
Questions to non-slavic speakers of an indo-european language.

Do you consider slavic languages to be the least pleasant sounding of the indo-european languages, and to what level can you differentiate between them through sound alone?
>>
>>1410277
I think that Lithuanian is the closest living descendant of PIE. Greek is probably also close to it and maybe some languages in India. Relatively speaking of course.
>>
Lithuanian
>>
File: 1461133779996.jpg (18 KB, 379x374) Image search: [Google]
1461133779996.jpg
18 KB, 379x374
>>1410347
>anywhere that was isolated from other invaders for thousands of years
>Lithuania
>>
>>1413113
Czech is probably the least coarse sounding of them to my ears, but overall it's very hard to differentiate Slavic languages from one another if you don't speak any of them.

I mean, I can clearly hear a difference between Polish and Russian for example, but Slovakian and Slovenian? No chance.

t.Norwegian
>>
>>1410277
Albanian, Armenian or Kurd
>>
It is Lithuanian
>>
>>1410277
Possibly Proto-Uralic, but that's just a theory.
Among the living languages, it is rural Lithuanian, like the others already said.
>>1413113
>Do you consider slavic languages to be the least pleasant sounding of the indo-european languages
There are no pleasant or unpleasant sounding languages. Slavic languages often have lots of consonants, sibilants and africates out the ass and a distinction between palatalized and "broad" consonants. It gives them a very specific flavor.
>to what level can you differentiate between them through sound alone?
I know can tell apart Polish, Czech and Russian, that's for sure. Polish is even bigger on sibilants than the other languages and has nasal vowels. In Russian, I can hear a lot of the palatalized consonants. Ukrainian, to me, sounds like a more colloquial form of Russian with less palatalization.
Serbian, Croatian etc. sound like Slavic languages with Italian intonation.
As for the other languages, such as Belarusian, Bulgarian, Slovenian etc. - I have no idea how they sound.
>>
>>1410347
Basque?
I think someone drank too much bleach.
>>
>>1410277
I mean, the real answer is "it depends what features you care about".
>>
>>1410342
>latin
Said nobody ever.
>>
>>1410347
>Basque

There not a Indo European language. That's there whole fucking shtick.
>>
>>1413795
he talked about the languages,not people's primitivity
>>
>>1410277
They say Lithuanian because it has the most noun cases but if you know the history of Lithuanian you know that baltoslavic lost a bunch of cases and regained a few only recently
>>
>>1414183
This
>>
File: 1437855102152.jpg (23 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1437855102152.jpg
23 KB, 200x200
>>1410347
>basque
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.