[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that Classical Greek is vastly superior to Cl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1429130924251.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1429130924251.png
103 KB, 624x434
Daily reminder that Classical Greek is vastly superior to Classical Latin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jnHuiB_5M
>>
File: Why not Orthodoxy.png (320 KB, 463x684) Image search: [Google]
Why not Orthodoxy.png
320 KB, 463x684
>>1409313
>Not learning Ancient Hebrew, Middle Coptic or Assyrian Aramaic

kc tire
>>
>>1409322
Too edgelord for me senpai.
>>
I've found its actually a bit difficult to find spoken examples of real classical Latin since almost everyone learns the medieval version.
>>
>>1409336
I found this one when I looked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZRHUGMnty4

But I can't corroborate it, because I have no clue about Classical latin phonology.
>>
>>1409322
>not learning the tongue of the proto indo-europeans

Pretty degenerate t b h senpai
>>
>>1409313
If I have an urge need to cringe, I immediately check some of these videos:
https://youtu.be/47u6IJ2GVdM
>>
>>1409313
>language that contains the aorist
>superior to a similar language that doesn't
ridens, begone graeculus scum

>>1409322
>Ancient Hebrew, Middle Coptic or Assyrian Aramaic
>not Syriac, PIE, or Old Egyptian
3/10 you tried
>>
>>1409336
All you really need to know to pronounce words mostly right is that v's are like w's, ae's are like "I", c's and g's are always hard. I'm oversimplifying a bit, but that's really all you need to avoid the basic medieval mistakes. i.e vini vidi vici is pronounced wini widi wiki, caesar is pronounced kaisar (I always found it funny that the fucking germans of all people were the closest to the roman way of saying that)

>>1409354
seems legit. I don't know many of the more minute things he mentioned, but it sounds right from what I know of ancient greek and modern italian.

though, I've definitely read in some book somewhere that a double vowel like "tuum" should be "tu'um", but I may be mistaken
>>
>>1409313
>Implying latin isn't linguistically speaking the Master Race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvS94ucsPc
>>
>>1409625
The Latin perfect is literally the Greek aorist. Come on, son.
>>
>>1409664
> a double vowel like "tuum" should be "tu'um", but I may be mistaken

Depends. The -um ending was hardly pronounced at all. 'Bellum' would simply be 'bell', or 'bracchium' 'bracchi'.

Double consonants are definitely pronounced separately. As, 'bellum', 'bel-lum'.
>>
>>1409831
All that demonstrates is that you don't even aorist. Greek has a perfect as well, but it's distinct from the Aorist. Perfect just indicates that an action was taken and completed in the past. Aorist is, on the surface, the same, but with the connotation that said action would never be done again, like saying goodbye to a dying person.

...I guess it's kind of neat conceptually, I just got really annoyed when learning it because all of the explanations are shit.

>>1409839
>The -um ending was hardly pronounced at all. 'Bellum' would simply be 'bell', or 'bracchium' 'bracchi'.
Really? Wouldn't that create confusion between, say, vir and virum? Since um is such a common accusative ending and many words just have it tacked on to their nominative, it doesn't seem like something that would be efficient to need to deduce through context.
>>
>>1409878
No, he's saying the Latin perfect is etymologically the same as the Greek aorist, which is true for the s-perfects.
>>
>>1409313
It is. Latin is roach language that's similar in origin to turk speak.
>>
File: 2013-04-06-Simple-Past.jpg (21 KB, 431x395) Image search: [Google]
2013-04-06-Simple-Past.jpg
21 KB, 431x395
>>1409878
I can see your point regarding the aorist. I haven't met any problems with aspect in Latin. Yet.

On um, I should clarify. It wasn't completely disappeared, it was reduced to a nasalisation of the preceding vowel, much like modern Spanish or Portuguese.

So,
> Hispanus = his 'paa nus
> Hispanum = his 'paa ñ
>>
>>1409943
In what way are Italic tribes any more related to Turkic nomads than hellenic peoples are? Latin is almost as hellenic as it is Italic anyway so I'm really not sure what your point is.
>>
>>1409975
Hispanum = /hisp'a:nû/

û being nasal u.
>>
>>1410244
Actually /is'panû/
>>
Veri viri et graecam et latinam linguam sciunt.
>>
>>1410255
/filum
>>
My preferred recitation of The Iliad, by current British Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson MP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKRAJTgEuo
>>
>>1409561
>SSAAAAAAYYYL-WHEEEEEEEH
Please do not let Americans to attempt to speak Latin.
>>
>>1410249
> Cicero_ridens.jpg
Plebis est literam H non loqui.
>>
File: 1468357816846.png (7 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1468357816846.png
7 KB, 420x420
>>1409664

>latin
>pronunciation
>>
>>1409664
That's why it's easy to speak classic Latin language for Russians.
>>
>>1409354
This guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but holy shit there are way more/much heavier rolled Rs than I thought.
>>
File: Sumerian-Texts-1-Cuneiform.jpg (351 KB, 1024x635) Image search: [Google]
Sumerian-Texts-1-Cuneiform.jpg
351 KB, 1024x635
>>1409322
>>1409362
>not learning proto-finnish from alpha centauri
PLEB
L
E
B
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.