[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure if this is enough for it's own thread, but what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: temp.jpg (140 KB, 837x623) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
140 KB, 837x623
Not sure if this is enough for it's own thread, but what the hell, I'm anonymous.

If I want to read about history or philosophy in my free time, should I go for university textbooks? I'm wondering if it would be suitable for a normal pleb (STEM student) or if I should go for pop history books instead.

Gustavus Adolphus unrelated.
>>
yeah read textbooks why not
>>
University textbooks are designed to give you an introduction, which if youre starting out is what you want.
>>
>>1409094
Lol most of the people who take classes that require those textbooks don't even read them.
>>
>>1409094
Textbooks are kind of boring though. I suggest to combine textbooks with pop history books and also papers.

I know Reddit is frowned upon, for good reasons, for questions and suggestions for books it is good.
>>
>>1409094
desu, if I could choose between two books by a qualified historian, one designed for students and one for the general public/other academics, I would prefer the latter.

In the humanities, you have the phenomenon that lots of new information/work is released in bookform (versus short papers in the natural sciences). So instead of reading textbooks, just read the works themselves. Plus, textbooks often lay information in other people's mouths ("person X thought Y and Z") which inherently adds an in my opinion unecessary layer of interpretation which in turn distorts things. They are at best suited to find out what you *really* want to read.
>>
>>1409429
Well, that's fucking stupid. You paid $200 for the book, you might as well read the thing. It's like when people skip classes that they paid for. Fucking morons.
>>
Textbooks are the happy meal of historical texts. Ever since the publication and success of (textbook I forgot the name of) publication companies have sought to print the most non-threatening, most non-offensive books imaginable leaving much to the imagination and little towards actual knowledge of the subjects. Textbooks give you a sample of what is and actual historians who have done the leg work give you the 7 course entree.
>>
>>1409094
First you have to tell us why you want ot read philosophy.
Is it because you think some of it might be relevant to your field?
Are you simply interested in some philosophic ideas you have been exposed to?
Getting into the gritty niggty parts is only really nesseccary if you want to be a proffesional philosopher, as in if you want to produce actual philosophical output.
If not I would simply reccomend reading some overview of philosophical movements. There are lectures and courses. From there, if you feel you want to read about something in more detail you will be equipped with the proper names and terminology.

This for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBwsldL0k4
>>
>>1409765
>9.5 hours

anon....
>>
>>1409780
Thats only part 1 and 20 hours is nothing when we are talking about several centuries of philosophical thought(and the closer you get to contemporary times the more material there is to cover.
>>
>>1409780
>>1409794
And honestly, its a joy to listen to if you have an interest in philosophy.
You can also speed it up in the options, shaving off a few hours.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.