[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has material prosperity blinded modern man to anything beyond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: download (2).jpg (22 KB, 203x249) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
22 KB, 203x249
Has material prosperity blinded modern man to anything beyond the cyclical world of Becoming? How do we overcome the tyranny of the horizontal and sensible and inspire a yearning for the vertical and transcendent?
>>
By ending liberal capitalism and democracy.
>>
You would have to abandon the desire for progress and growth and revert to a subsistence level of survival. In that state people will be desperate enough for escapism that they will return to mysticism beliefs.
>>
>>1408650
The belief that the end of desire necessitates stagnation, boredom, and death is a silly millenialcuck belief conditioned by a globalist society that cannot imagine life without the insatiable yearning for the Other its entire mode of existence is predicated on.

Not to mention the issue isn't about desire being wrong but desiring the wrong things
>>
>>1408672
>using /pol/ buzzwords while also advocating for /x/ shit

what even are you supposed to be
>>
>>1408635
And replace it with what?
>>
File: nazi-ufo-flying-saucer-5.jpg (59 KB, 640x486) Image search: [Google]
nazi-ufo-flying-saucer-5.jpg
59 KB, 640x486
>>1408792
>implying /pol/ and /x/ aren't made for each other
>>
>>1408672
>insatiable yearning for the Other
The alternative is being self-enclosed, and thus having a meaningless, self-referential existence. Consider the difference beteern sex and masturbation.
>>
Stellar thread.

I think the only possible thing to do is to ride the wave and wait for the fall. As this civilization dies, another one will arise. Such is the cycle of life.
>>
>>1408792
>I don't get what you're saying, must be memes!!!

>>1408809
No. The difference is between looking outside for your own happiness and realizing it can only come from within.
>>
>>1408839
When you out yourself as a memer you show others that there is no reason to take anything you say seriously.
>>
>>1408847
>I'm a pleb who doesn't have the philosophical background or life experience to intuitively grok what this thread's talking about, must be those silly memers again!!!

The adults are talking
>>
File: unique.png (46 KB, 376x401) Image search: [Google]
unique.png
46 KB, 376x401
>>1408629
>Has material prosperity blinded modern man to anything beyond the cyclical world of Becoming?
Loaded question. Most people see themselves as "spiritual". The problem isn't material prosperity blinding people, it is mainly superstitions like the "cyclical world of Becoming" and an "us versus them" mentality like the belief that anyone who does not share your beliefs is a stupid conformist drone blinded by materialism.

>How do we overcome the tyranny of the horizontal and sensible and inspire a yearning for the vertical and transcendent?
Realize that something's value isn't dependent on whether it is horizontal, sensible, vertical or transcendent. In order to improve we need to change, but change can be either good or bad, without a decent way of distinguishing between the good and the bad and deciding what needs to be changed it won't go very far.
>>
>>1408895
>y-you c-can't kno nuffn
>the nature of reality as change is 'superstition'

What a shitty post
>>
>>1408879
I'm giving you attention, which is what people like you really want, you made this thread to throw your views in people's faces and complain about "millenialcuck" and reactive greentexting. Seeing as how you really just wanted an opponent to insult, you should thank me.
>>
>>1408909
No, I made a thread to get actual, smart discussion but all I get is pleb faggots calling thousand year old philosophical concepts buzzwords because they can only think in epin memes and ideological bogeyman
>>
>>1408930
You are too defensive and unpleasant to have a productive conversation with.
Perhaps if you learned how to express yourself without using insults and disingenuous rhetoric, other people would be more willing to engage with you.

But you probably are already aware of this which is why you cultivate a dismissive and insular worldview.
>>
>>1408895
This.

Only sensible post in the entire thread. The rest of this thread is literal circle-jerking.
>>
>>1408963
>I can meme at you, you just can't meme back

Nah, that's not how it works
>>
>>1408974
>likes milquetoast lib shit

Sorry to hear that
>>
File: sage.png (7 KB, 200x156) Image search: [Google]
sage.png
7 KB, 200x156
>>1408984
>"Look at me: I'm special because I'm spiritual, unlike all these other slave drones. I see the Truth - ha, stupid people!"

You're trying way too hard.
>>
File: Getyourshitstraightstarterkit.jpg (230 KB, 780x1200) Image search: [Google]
Getyourshitstraightstarterkit.jpg
230 KB, 780x1200
>>
>>1409036
>no inclusion of robert "OG" wasson
>>
>>1409027
>Look at me, I'm special, I'm a boring white bread starcucks customer whose gonna rail against the us vs them mentality while completely dismissing out of hand any viewpoint that doesn't sound like it could be neatly summarized in a buzzfeed headline
>>
>>1408903
I didn't say either of those things. I believe you can know things and that changes can happen, if these contradict anything I've said please explain how.

>>1408974
thxfam

>>1408984
If I were Caspar Milquetoast, wouldn't I be too afraid to criticize you?

>>1409061
>anyone who does not share my beliefs is a stupid conformist drone blinded by materialism
>>
>>1409106
I don't think anyone who doesn't share my belief is a dumb drone, but when your best argument is "cyclical nature of Becoming? sounds too smartypants for me, you're probably wrong" you sure do sound like a dumb drone.
>>
>>1408839
>The difference is between looking outside for your own happiness and realizing it can only come from within.
But if your happiness only comes from within you, and you aren't happy about anything, isn't it meaningless? Furthemore, isn't something ouside of you a prerequisite for experiencing love?
>>
File: Пермога.jpg (677 KB, 1447x2048) Image search: [Google]
Пермога.jpg
677 KB, 1447x2048
>>1408629
sory, couldnt contrain myselve
>>
>>1409137
We're not talking about psyching yourself up into feeling happy. We're talking about realizing that, ultimately, there is nothing in the world that will complete you in the way being depressed will make you feel like you've missed out on. It can only come from interior work, the realization that you must be principle of your own fulfillment or resign yourself to chasing the dragon for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1409148
>talking about realizing that, ultimately, there is nothing in the world that will complete you in the way being depressed will make you feel like you've missed out on.
So does this only apply to depressed people, or what?
>>
>>1409176
To everyone, but if you're at the point where you're seriously delving into the metaphysics of suffering and desire and shit, chances are you're depressed or been through some shit
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.