[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are dualisms actually dual?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Your relationship with your toddler self is vague at best. Were it not for the material formality of cellular continuation, and your ostensible dwelling in it, would you have anything in common with him? You don't think, perceive, speak, or even act alike. You have more in common with a random stranger of the same age than you do with your toddler self. The claim that you are the same person is borderline-absurd. The toddler is de facto dead and yet you live. Not even as something that has grown around the toddler but as a result of full transcendence.

If this was not a ubiquitous part of human life, scientists would have called it a (non-falsifiable) dualism for sure. Where is the "dualism" thought? There are no two delimited beings, or even states of being, that cause any friction - real or philosophical - anywhere along the line. There is only one continuous process by which the self grows and changes, like water flowing from stream to sea. The idea of toddler and adult as distant and/or irreconcilable solid aggregates is empirically absurd.

By the same logic, are any dualisms actually dual?
>>
All dualisms are conventional/illusory and are eventually and ultimately resolved in the nondual Absolute. Existence is not a thing but a process. congrats you oust refd yourself
>>
>>1408507
Just redpilled yourself*
>>
>>1408341
Ah but you are forgetting that most brain cells are not biologically replaced, and that you and the toddler would share many memories and instincts, so this negates almost all of your objections.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (29 KB, 237x300) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
29 KB, 237x300
>>1408507
>Existence is not a thing but a process
go jump off a building and see it that process is still a process, death is afterall, the conclusion of said process, no?
>>1408341
hmmmmmmmm
maybe, then again maybe not.
Dualism is a sham though, good on you for that one, most don't even understand Dualism.
>>
>>1408507

t. Aristotle
>>
>>1408516
>memories and instincts
This doesn't negate anything.
I would be interested in your evidence for the conclusion of negation.
Brain cells are biologically replaced and it isn't the cells that store memory or instinct, its where synapses fire off causing a memory or an action of thought to occur.

The only way you could negate him is to refute materialism.
His "self" must be a transcendental will, otherwise, he is correct and Dualism is irrevocably refuted.
>>
>>1408516
>memories and instincts
>>1408536
one more thing.
My Toddler self would run at hearing a gunshot, I don't.
I remember very little of what my Toddler self remembers and he literally is not capable of remembering the day I got married, because you know, he wasn't there aside from him just being me.

Lets widen the gap, a 50 year old army vet with his infant self in his mothers womb.
Spot the differences.
>>
>>1408341
We all change, when you think about it. We're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay, that's good, you've got to keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.