[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does love exist? Is it even properly definable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: 1467673992138.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1467673992138.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
Does love exist? Is it even properly definable?
>>
No. Infatuation does.

It's just a chemical reaction.
>>
>>1406972
That is some sharp fedora
>>
>>1406975
But love is fleeting, do you honestly believe in fairytale love that lasts forever?
>>
>>1406975

>I "love" to eat cake but only when my stomach isn't full.

>I "love" this man today, but i will leave him for a better looking one tomorrow if i have the chance.
>>
File: 1461294795898.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1461294795898.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>tfw no more gf
>>
>>1406966
love is an idea
like truth, justice, intelligence, and unicorns

it exists
but only as an idea

it is too complex to tell if it exists.
which only becomes apparent in hindsight.
>>
>>1406997
What do you mean as idea? Something not in reality? Every perceiving is depending from the same empiric faculties, so what you can touch and see is equally real as love, due the simple fact that you perceive it.
>>
>>1406981
I do not necessarily believe in it but I can't rule it out either. There are many forms of love.

>>1406982
There it is again. Right there. Can you see the edge?
>>
>>1406975
>>1407010
Why do you make a thread, and then call everyone who disagrees with you a fedora or edgy?

I mean, ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>1406966
Love exists, but humans don't have the capacity to understand it.

Love is not the naive, egocentric and natal feeling of satiety that good parents, bad TV shows and college romance perpetuate.

Our only model for True Love is the actions God performs. Every act of God is one of love, wrath and grace. How are we to understand love when we cannot even come to terms with how God has made the world, and the state He has allowed it to degenerate into? How do you even tell the difference between what is of God, of man, or of the devil as allowed by God?

Everyone understands what they would want love to be, but what love is actually is a different matter entirely. True Love is less a thing of pleasure than it is of fear.
>>
>>1407084
> Love exists, but humans don't have the capacity to understand it.

I guess 'appreciate' would be a better word than 'understand' here.
>>
>>1406966
"It's just a chemical reaction that makes species breed"
>>
>>1407084
I like this guy
>>
>>1407008
something related to aristotilean forms or maybe it was plato that talked about forms

love is an idea, perfect in everyway.
any sort of real world application or representation will be nothing more than a knockoff of true love.

im sure you can percieve things that may represent truth, justice, or intelligence, or even a unicorn.
but they will not be the "embodiment" or the actual thing.
>>
>>1406966
>Does love exist?
It's a feeling. So yes, it exists.
>Is it even properly definable?
An emotion of deep affection. Stop with the stupid questions, /his/.
>>
>>1407157
>It's a feeling. So yes, it exists.
Then you must define what a "feeling" is, and prove the existence of it. Can everyone "feel" love?

>An emotion of deep affection
But you just said it was a "Feeling", not an "emotion". Which is it? And isn't love also respect, and trust?
>>
File: 1467458296760.jpg (36 KB, 460x400) Image search: [Google]
1467458296760.jpg
36 KB, 460x400
>it's another shit ""humanities"" thread
>>
File: Oxytocin.jpg (81 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
Oxytocin.jpg
81 KB, 894x894
>>
>>1408801
history is boring
>>
>>1406981
Yes. I will love my parents for ever.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.