[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Nihilists here? I am a Nihilist. I am currently attempting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: SteniakChums1.jpg (638 KB, 700x968) Image search: [Google]
SteniakChums1.jpg
638 KB, 700x968
Any Nihilists here? I am a Nihilist. I am currently attempting to formulate a notion of 'heroic nihilism'.

You may not post in my thread if you are steeped in ideology.
>>
Describe what you believe.
>>
>>301003
It is extremely crude at the moment and is likely to be derivative and better expressed by somebody who I have yet to read. I accept the basic nihilist premise, that ascribing any form of meaning to life is a distraction from life itself. Life is merely the passing of time, which, when we are aware of it, transfers from boredom to horror to dread. Now, I believe that rather than creating some kind of ideal to strive to, we must accept the world for what it is, be confidant in our understanding that there is no meaning and behave accordingly. My own form does not yet exclude any kind of behaviour, suicide would be permitted if it was performed out of the realisation that one cannot satisfy the desires which they have.
>>
>>300990
I used to be and still sort of think like one.
>>
File: Nietzsche187c.jpg (16 KB, 220x331) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187c.jpg
16 KB, 220x331
LIFE-DENYING GET OUT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>301045
10/10
>>
>>301045
Nietzsche was a nihilist, no matter how much he would have denied it. Also, I do not deny life when I claim that it has no meaning. My form of nihlilism is merely an acceptance of life as it is, or as it appears to my understanding.
>>
>>301061
So accepting that life is meaningless. What comes after that? Why do anything when you believe that any action you take is meaningless? What do you do with your life and what drives you?
>>
>>301061
>he's secretely his own enemy, no matter how much he would have denied it
how original
>>
>>301029
>literally Netflix and chill: the philosophy

Whatever rationalizes your mediocrity brosef
>>
>>301078
Those are questions which I cannot yet answer.
>>301079
I did not make that comment to dismiss Nietzsche, his analysis of Nihilism is very much from within. If you cannot see that, then I doubt you have read him. He is the king of Active Nihilism.
>>
>>301029
so, french existentialism?
>>
>>301097
One should avoid reduction and ad hominem.
>>
>>301104
French existentialism is just one of the philosophies which has expressed this. It goes back as far as the Cyrenaics.
>>
>>301128
I am not a Humanist though. Sartre seems to feel that we can overcome existential angst, I am not so optimistic.
>>
>>301098
>If you cannot see that, then I doubt you have read him
ad hominem, how original

>he analysed himself and came up with something
can be said of every humanities scholar who ever existed. if you cannot see that, then i doubt you have read nietzsche, dilthey or heidegger
>>
>>301105
>accept life is meaningless
>never strive for an ideal

Ok
>>
>>301128
but the cyrenaics are no nihilists, they believe in the objective good of pleasure. The moment you claim something is objectively good you are no longer a nihilist.
>>301134
You speak of it as if every single human being suffered existential angst at all moments instead of it being as any other emotion just a fleeting, even if recurring, sensation. Plenty of people live without feeling it more than a couple of times. The couch-intellectual is not the blueprint of human nature
>>
>>301146
So you intepret my views as 'do nothing'.
>>301136
His analysis of nihlism is from the perspective of somebody who has realised that there is no meaning to life. He invited nihlism and believes it to be one of the great struggles of humanity, not something to dismiss off-hand.
>>
>>301078
>Why do anything when you believe that any action you take is meaningless?
Not him, but actions you do are meaningful to yourself. If I don't eat, I'm going to die.

In the end, it all boils down to self interest really.
>>
>>301161
>but the cyrenaics are no nihilists, they believe in the objective good of pleasure.
I know this, but it is a beginning nonetheless.
>The couch-intellectual is not the blueprint of human nature
It is not only the intelligent who can feel this, but my answer is that people push it away through distractions. Which is perfectly understandable.
>>
>>301175
>I'm going to die

So what? And no, there is no meaningful actions for a nihilist, not even personal ones.
>>
>>301163
>realised that there is no meaning to life
nope, he realised that such a general statement comes from people who have a certain ethical framework (platonic realism, christian belief in free will and all the illusory judgements related to it, like egoism/selflessness)
and tried to show how nihilism is not a certain necessity but a particular inference, done by people who are trapped in this traditional framework.

>He invited nihlism
wat. this usually comes from people who read something about his relative valuation of stages of nihilism (active-passive) and failing to remember that he still views both stages negatively.

>and believes it to be one of the great struggles of humanity
great as in sublime and important, not actually great. he felt as a prophet of a "tragic era of european nihilism" which should be left behind as quickly as possible.
>>
>>301163
That analysis of Nietzsche is completely false
1. He believed in a meaning of life EXEMPLIFIED in classical art, the meaning of life is selfovercoming
2. He didnt invite nihilism, he claimed nihilism had started with platonism and the christianization of europe. It is not even a human struggle, it is an european struggle. He believed that either we would either overcome nihilism or become stagnant for centuries
>>301181
Actually, leisure is not human nature since it is agreeable that in his natural state a human-being is continuosly struggling to survive through activities. What you say, that man looks for distractions to scape angst, only applies to the middle and upper classes of postindustrial nations, I doubt the reason the young Amil wakes up in the morning at 5 am to milk the goats is because deep inside he worries about the meaning of the world. Human beings which are inactive suffer, that is obvious, noone would value more inactivity than activity, the answer to angst is activity, meaningful activities are given to us through culture, our culture is decadent therefore some of the activities we receive, what you call distractions, may happen to hurt us and deepen our angst. I doubt the problem of existence can be solved through pure meditation
>>
I never understood why nihilism was supposed to be such a negative thing. I personally found accepting the notion that I and everything I've ever believed is utterly without meaning to be quite liberating.
>>
File: spectacle of nature.jpg (39 KB, 618x385) Image search: [Google]
spectacle of nature.jpg
39 KB, 618x385
>>301617
ever had a terrible thing happen to you? would you find it liberating to know that in principle it doesn't matter and nobody will or should care?
>>
File: 1447884048114.png (97 KB, 499x504) Image search: [Google]
1447884048114.png
97 KB, 499x504
>Nihilists

Most disgusting plebs I've ever met.
>>
The sad thing is that Nietzsche lost, the Last Man has become a reality for all of society.
>>
>>302189
spengler, pls
>>
>>301617
>liberating
that's a lie
the despair is so suffocating you will beg for fairytales
big mouth is only now, shit time and regrets later
>>
it's easy to be an ethical or epistemological nihilist like a 12 year old but you never see self-identifying "nihilists" doing ontology
>>
>nihilism
>not following dark utilitarianism
>>
>>302555
Was ist das
>>
>>301029
>behave accordingly
>does not yet exclude any kind of behaviour

"Agree with me for no effect" the philosophy
>>
>>302600
Some chucklefuck made a thread earlier about the idea of dark utilitarianism - since he thinks the logical conclusion of utilitariasm is negative, he supported the idea of a philosophy that tries to maximize human suffering because he thought it would lead to good ends despite evil intents - higher populations to increase overall suffering, etc.

What a shitshow.
>>
>>302369
Sounds like you're too weak to handle it
>>
I am.
Although some might class me as otherwise.
I believe nihilism logically leads to a cynical form of hedonism.
Even if good things have no inherent goodness, they still make us feel positive.

And although everything is meaningless I don't feel depressed or anything, I believe we can make our own meaning in life, even though it is meaningless.
I'm essentially stuck in a word puzzle on that final point.
>>
>>300990
are you a jew? because jews had in their history a great example of nihilist culture
>>
>>301029
>>300990
You sound too full of yourself
>>
>>302950
you mean post-holocaust jewish thought?
That whole god is dead/has abandoned us drivel?
>>
>>302950
You mean europe post industrial revolution
>>
>>302103
>ever had a terrible thing happen to you?

Yep. Accepting nihilism was a big factor in helping me get over it. I don't see why the idea that something terrible happening to me had a greater meaning would be even remotely comforting.

>>302369
>that's a lie
>the despair is so suffocating you will beg for fairytales
>big mouth is only now, shit time and regrets later

I'm happier after accepting nihilism than I ever was before.
>>
>>301029
>we must accept the world for what it is, be confidant in our understanding that there is no meaning and behave accordingly.
So do nothing and starve to death?
>>
>>300990
Can't you just like, accept the fact that this shit is competely out of your control and just not give a fuck about it? Seriously, all this meaningless thinking about things that are beyond any humans control or ever will be. Why not just strive to improve yourself and just accept external things like this shit as it is. How does your idea of "life is meaningless" improve shit
>>
>>304460
>accepting nihilism helped me cope or someshit
Can you outline the situation please if you are comfortable?
>>
>>302103
You make the mistake of thinking that just because it is without meaning doesn't mean it can't matter
>>
You're sort of an atheist
>>
>>305425
makes them feel smarter than they are

>yeah ive read the works of nietszche, so what?
>>
>>301029
>nihilism
>ought statements

LOL
>>
If there ever was an entry level to philosophy then nihilism is it.
But na Heroic how?
Do you mean morally? as Nietzsche proposed?

So moral nihilism can be separated in distinct ways?
>>
File: 1442311174172.jpg (187 KB, 1600x1230) Image search: [Google]
1442311174172.jpg
187 KB, 1600x1230
>Heroic Nihilism
>>
Nihilism is the absence of an ethic conditioning one's behavior, so you should think in an analitic way without good or bad but just logic
>>
File: 1444332147404.jpg (14 KB, 308x459) Image search: [Google]
1444332147404.jpg
14 KB, 308x459
>>306201
>mfw school shooters are the greeks of heroic nihilism
>>
>>306399
But what determines which outcome is preferable? You can use logic to deduce that you will be happier if you do X than if you do Y, but unless you attach some sort of moral value to being happy then such an exercise is pointless.
>>
>hey guys super cool nihilist here let me type out my belief system for u xd

who cares nigger
>>
File: nihilism.gif (1 MB, 700x552) Image search: [Google]
nihilism.gif
1 MB, 700x552
>>306405
>>306201
>mfw this is actually true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLHCuzW3-uA
>>
>>306875
Just live the day second by second and starve to death
>>
>>307387
Oh god my sides XDD
>>
>>301029
nihilism refers to the practices of a group of russian revolutionaries who put revolution above all other things, including their lives. Just as it was asked from a philosopher to be familiar with paradoxes, so as to be accustomed to different train of thoughts, so was asked by a revolutionary -by the nihilists- to be aware of and ready to commit conspiracies and to appear as a functioning member of society if need be, but never to be alienated by the bourgeois way of life, staying always focused on the revolution. It carried a certain degree of martyrdom mentality, as its declared goal was to spark the violent overthrwoing of the state, but not outlive it.
>>
>>307973
tfw I think exactly as he do
tfw his story looks like pretty much as mine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting#Perpetrator
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.