[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does science and empiricism sterilize culture? Do you ever f
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: silver.jpg (103 KB, 1280x1730) Image search: [Google]
silver.jpg
103 KB, 1280x1730
Does science and empiricism sterilize culture? Do you ever find yourself wishing that people would still participated in weird spooky rituals and ceremonies to achieve some task?

https://youtu.be/Qq5biHCw7Qc

Vid related

Everything is all "hurrr there's no scientific reason to do this" nowadays which just makes everything so boring..
>>
Well in western europe we still celebrate various local rites, but they are done because they always have been done that way and serve an entertainig purpose for the particioners.
>>
I agree OP
>>
>>1404053
>Do you ever find yourself wishing that people would still participated in weird spooky rituals and ceremonies to achieve some task?

Why would you bother doing a ritual to accomplish a task if it had no practical effect on completing the task?

Look, if dressing in a smock, covering yourself in the ashes of a burnt chicken and howling at the new moon actually cured your cancer then people would do it. It's precisely because it doesn't work that people don't do it anymore. (This excludes the occasional moral boost that people sometimes get from rituals)
>>
File: Madonna and Child.jpg (7 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
Madonna and Child.jpg
7 KB, 218x231
>>1404053
Accept the science and do it anyway for cultural reasons. There is no reason an atheist can't sing praises to Baby Jesus at Christmas or go to church for the "feel good".

Cultural Christians
>>
>>1404053
You evidently didn't watch that tunnel opening the other week.
>>
Not really. Maybe subjectively to you, but I don't think there is an argument here/
>>
>>1404117
It doesn't feel good if you deep-down believe it to be a bunch of bullshit.
>>
I know what you mean.

A couple hundred years ago everyone was all excited about the age of science and reason and how we would finally be rid of superstition. I don't think they anticipated how boring and gloomy everything would become.
>>
>>1404890
Im an atheist but I still attend Mass every once in a while just for the music and the atmosphere. Plus the whole idea of an after life is really appealing and for a few minutes ever time everything feels like it's going to be okay.
>>
I think you're just a bored self-centred person.
>>
>>1404053
Are you implying culture requires irrational behavior? Do you even know what culture is?
>>
>>1404890
Christmas is a bunch of bullshit, but under the right circumstances it also feels really good
>>
>>1404980
Not for me.

I actually stopped celebrating it for this reason because it just made me feel sick and empty inside.
>>
>>1404987
The operative term was "under the correct circumstances." This does't mean celebrating it the way other people tell you is correct, it's celebeating in a way that makes you personally happy. There is nothing special about December 24 or 25 that it should have importance, it's total bullshit, but if you use December 24 and 25 to enjoy yourself, that is what gives it the feeling.
>>
>Does science and empiricism sterilize culture?
Science does not. Empiricism does. Culture is largely based on the things unseen, which bind a particular people and place, and it is the result of an accumulation of generations of experience. Too many empiricists want to run roughshod over culture, trying to make everything "rational," as they see it. And the individualism that is concomitant with empiricism turns out rootless, garish people whose opinions and ideas are only as old as themselves.
>>
We could just make chuunibyou socially acceptable.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.