[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone give me a couple of comprehensive history books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: faggotbritauthor.png (75 KB, 552x408) Image search: [Google]
faggotbritauthor.png
75 KB, 552x408
Can someone give me a couple of comprehensive history books?

I'm looking for a knowledge of
United States History
Medieval Europe
And Classical Europe

I'm reading through The American Nation. And maybe its because I'm spending a little too much time on /pol/, but I don't trust this author.
>>
>>297920
any of those topics is way too big to be covered in one book. try and narrow it down to specific topics like "muslim spain" "christian spain" "medieval france" "feudalism" etc. etc.
>>
>>297920
What are some books US history of:
>Discovery
>Pilgrimage
>Foundation of the US
>Civil war

?
>>
>>297967
>Discovery
you mean by the spaniards? or the exploration of the north american continent? or its settlement by the british?

Quinn, David Beers. England and the Discovery of America. New York: Knopf, 1973.
>A collection of essays that brings together some of the most important pieces written by the premier historian of exploration, as it examines the shift in the enterprise from one of being narrowly aimed at the discovery of fisheries or routes to the east, to the undertaking, during Elizabeth’s reign, of colonization by military adventurers, religious dissidents, or profit-seekers.

Williamson, James. The Age of Drake. Cranbury, NJ: Scholars Bookshelf, 2007.
>A traditional and classic account of the exploration enterprise, focusing on Hawkins’s building of the fleet and the voyages that resulted. Valuable for its placing the enterprise within a larger political and diplomatic history, as well as its command of naval detail.

>Foundation of the US
the revolutionary war or the period after up to the constitutional convention in the late 1780s? anyway I think that Empire of Liberty (1789-1815) would be the book for you:
http://bookzz.org/book/955036/284a1b

>Civil war
Battle Cry of Freedom is a classic I've heard, but its close to 1000 pages
http://bookzz.org/book/704692/9ac464
part of the same oxford series as Empire of Liberty

>Pilgrimage
Bremer, Francis, and Tom Webster, eds. Puritans and Puritanism in Europe and America: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 2006.
>Contributions by some of the leading historians of puritanism on both sides of the Atlantic, with nearly seven hundred entries covering Puritan biographies, ideas, events, and issues; with glossary, primary sources, and a bibliography.
http://bookzz.org/book/872446/05a507
>>
>>298075
Coffey, John, and Paul Lim, eds. The Cambridge Companion to Puritanism. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
>A comprehensive and multidimensional treatment of the subject, with articles covering Puritan and dissenting theology, gender, popular culture, politics, war, and literature. Essays also explore puritanism beyond England, not only in America, but also in Ireland, Scotland, and elsewhere. With articles by Patrick Collinson, John Morrill, Tom Webster, Anthony Milton, Francis Bremer, and other leading scholars.
http://bookzz.org/book/872066/341b24
download for the chapter on puritanism in america

Daunton, Martin, and Rick Halpern, eds. Empire and Others: British Encounters with Indigenous Peoples, 1600– 1850. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1999.
>Excellent collection of essays dealing with the British encounters with Indian peoples, particularly in North America. The editors’ introduction and Philip Morgan’s essay provide sweeping overviews. Kathleen Brown’s contribution is particularly insightful on the specific question of race.
http://bookzz.org/book/1011782/8e43d2

Adair, John. Puritans: Religion and Politics in Seventeenth-Century England and America. 2d ed. Stroud, UK: Sutton, 1998.
>A comprehensive narrative account of the Puritan story as it began during the reign of Elizabeth and continued through the political turbulence of 17th-century England and the establishment of godly communities in America. Puritan ideas are placed in their political and historical context, and their longer-term influence is given a deep assessment.

Greenblatt, Stephen J., ed. New World Encounters. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1993.
>Collection of essays, most of which were previously published in Representations, dealing with European encounters in both Latin and British America. Most of the contributors are literary scholars.
>>
>>298092
Chaplin, Joyce E. “Race.” In The British Atlantic World, 1500– 1800. Edited by David Armitage and Michael J. Braddick, 154– 172. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2002.
>Good overview of the English-speaking world in the early modern era. Argues that the emergence of racial ideology was a product of the rise of slavery.

Breen, T. H. “Creative Adaptations: Peoples and Cultures.” In Colonial British America: Essays in the New History of the Early Modern Era. Edited by Jack P. Greene and J. R. Pole, 195– 232. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1984.
>Foundational essay that sheds considerable light on the subject of racial identity in British America by paying careful attention to perceptions, encounters, the physical environment, economies, and other issues.

Richter, Daniel K. Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2001.
>A conscious effort to narrate the story of cross-cultural encounters and the European settlement of the Americas from the perspective of indigenous peoples rather than Europeans. Primarily concerned with British North America, but also treats areas first visited by the French and Spanish.
>>
>>298109
Butler, Jon. Becoming America: The Revolution before 1776. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2000.
>Thematically organized synthesis of 18th-century social development that relies heavily upon regional differentiation.

McConville, Brendan. The King’s Three Faces: The Rise & Fall of Royal America, 1688–1776. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2006.
>Provides a challenge to republican syntheses of early American history by insisting on the continuing vitality of monarchical sentiment throughout the North American colonies in the 18th century.

Foster, Stephen, ed. British North America in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. Oxford History of the British Empire: Companion Series. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
>An intelligent, if random collection of essays, on British North America from the mid-17th century to the American Revolution. Strong stress upon religion and on the formative role of the American Revolution. Underplays the importance of slavery.

Canny, Nicholas, ed. The Oxford History of the British Empire. Vol. 1, The Origins of Empire. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998.
>Excellent set of essays by leading experts on how Britain became involved with transoceanic exploration and settlement. Organized by theme but also by region, especially with respect to Atlantic settlements.
http://bookzz.org/book/2384146/c70a32
vol ii: eighteenth cenutury, which continues seeing 18th-century British America mainly within a regional perspective.
http://bookzz.org/book/2384223/a28e7f
>>
>>298075
>>298092
>>298109
>>298130

Lordy lordy. Thank you
>>
>>297920
>ironically using linux mint
m8
>>
>>298159
Is it that easy to differentiate which distro I'm using? What's wrong with mint?
>>
>>298230
I'm using Mint now, just a bit of cheeky banter 2bh. I'm just a bit bitter because I accidentally uninstalled windows 7,in the installation process, and I'm too lazy to get it back.

It's pretty easy to tell since Mint has the light-green highlighting and little mouse icon.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.