[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tank Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: tank man.jpg (17 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
tank man.jpg
17 KB, 300x198
Hey /his/torians.

I know this seems like a really dumb question for someone who found themselves on /his/ to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could explain the background to the Tank Man photo? More specifically, the Tianamen Square protests. I've read about it, on Wikipedia and what-not, but never really understood it other than it was a protest by college students against political repression in China.

Thanks.
>>
>>1401990
Here's a quick summary:
>Communist Party lets blacks from Africa attend Chinese Universities to bolster Sino-African relations
>Chinese college students hate blacks and protest
>Protests spread to the point that students convene in the capital to complain
>Government offers concessions, but students are too drunk on power to stop now
>Government sends in tanks
>Jerk walks in front of the tanks. The tanks try to drive around him. He keeps on walking in front of them to force them to keep on turning.
>>
>>1402029
I think there was a bit more to the student protest than racism. Let's talk about the rest of the agenda, and the hunger strikes that led up to the demonstration.
>>
From what I understand, which isn't much.

>China has been gradually reforming since the Mao era
>USSR begins to collapse
>Chinese students, and other middle class people begin to wonder whether they can also experiment with democracy
>the answer is no
>>
>>1402093
It was connected directly to too much civil freedom for the radicals in society, and the inspiration of the East European anti-Communist protest movements of the late 80's.
>>
>>1402103
>experiment with democracy

This is a Western media meme. Most of the protesters gave zero fucks about democracy. They wanted more monetary freedoms and more government-provided privileges.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeFzeNAHEhU
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>1401990
>it was a protest by college students against political repression in China.

It was mostly a protest for more economic liberalization and government-provided priveleges like state jobs and university slots.

The "political repression" meme, is a meme.
>>
Had many of the deaths in that protest happened by the time tank man did his thing, or did the gov't mow down a few hundred unarmed people after this?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.