[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fairy tale and folklore thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: hey_there.jpg (335 KB, 1065x1500) Image search: [Google]
hey_there.jpg
335 KB, 1065x1500
Let's talk about stories, /his/
>>
File: Real.png (168 KB, 598x398) Image search: [Google]
Real.png
168 KB, 598x398
>>1405007
Just getting this out of the way. No need to thank me.
>>
After the days of light came, we walked the earth and prospered and were given free will, but as we prospered we became complacent and evil and drowned in our own sins.
It is only then that the creator spoke to us and released us from his bondage and given us freedom.
He told us to be good but our greed could not be overcome and we were banished across the earth to pay for the sins of the world.
>>
>>1405171
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>1405172
A fairytale
>>
File: thumbelina.jpg (116 KB, 647x422) Image search: [Google]
thumbelina.jpg
116 KB, 647x422
>>1405007
nobody's doing shit in this thread but this is something that actually really interests me though I don't know much about it.

>why are there so many fucking stories about tiny people found in plants

pic related
>>
File: Real in my mind.jpg (179 KB, 710x644) Image search: [Google]
Real in my mind.jpg
179 KB, 710x644
>>1405014
>>
>>1405014
>>1405334
edgy
>>
In what might be a futile attempt to get this thread back on track;

What are some interesting stories or folktales from your culture/tribe/nation/whatever?
>>
>>1405344
there are 3 mountains around where I live that forms a valley used as a boy scout camp. they're called first brother mountain, second brother mountain, and third brother mountain. there's no record of it or anything but everybody says that they were a family and the third brother killed the other two. I'm sure there's an actual reason behind the naming of the mountains but everybody just accepts the fake murder story
>>
>>1405007
I approve of this thread also if anyone would be interested in turkish fairytales and shit look up nasreddin hoca.
He is basically an imam of some random anatolian village who teaches its inhabitants wisdom through being a massive troll against them.
One story I like is about him going to preach at the mosque but before that he asks the people if they know what he's going to tell them, everyone says no.
Nasredin hoca then says that its no use explaining things to people who don't know shit so next time he again asks the same question.
This time the villagers tell him that they know what he's going to say, so nasreddin hoca then says that if they already know everything that him preaching is pointless anyway so he leaves again.
>>
>>1405358
What a dick.
>>
File: lambton-worm.jpg (1 MB, 1736x2323) Image search: [Google]
lambton-worm.jpg
1 MB, 1736x2323
>tfw no-one else was taught about the Lambton Worm as a kid

Most metal folk story in the UK desu.
>>
It's frustrating when people point to Disney's Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty or Snow White (aka the early classic Disney) as "dumbing down" fairytales or having "SHOCKING ORIGIN STORIES"!

Cinderella: They adapted Perrault's version, which doesn't contain the gore or eye pecking. Aschenputtel =/= Cendrillon.
Sleeping Beauty: They adapted the Grimm version, which doesn't contain rape, rape babies, non-rape babies, or Ogre mothers. Sun, Moon and Talia =/= The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods =/= Little Briar-Rose.
Snow White: This one, okay. Though I wonder if Disney was the first company to promote an altered version of the story.
>>
>>1405374
Not that anon, but there is a third part to the story that really drives it home. The next day, the people again ask Nasreddin to teach them. He starts out with his usual opening line, asking if the assembly know what he is going to say. This time, half the people say yes, half of them say no. So Nasreddin says that the people who do know what he is going to say should teach the ones who don't, and for a third time he leaves.
>>
>>1405344
Google: 'The rooster of Barcelos'
I'd type it up but I'm on my phone
>>
A story a story, let it come let it go

Once upon a time Kwaku Anansi climbed his web up to heaven. He asked Nyame the sky God for all the wisdom in the world. So Nyame said "so be it" with a sly grin. He gave Anansi a calabash full of the world"s knowledge and wisdom to take. But Anansi tried to climb down with the calabash to his stomach. His son cried out "Father! Tie it to your back!". But Anansi refused to listen. "I don't have to listen to a mere child, I know everything!". Anansi failed to get a firm grip and fell. And the calabash broke open, spilling all the wisdom to every corner of the globe.

Everyone knows something, but nobody knows everything
>>
I remeber reading that in classical European mythology elves were beings that lived in the trunk of tree. Apparently they kind of came out of the trees, but were still connected by their backs, therefore they were said to not have a back. Can anyone shed some light?
>>
>>1405560
sounds like hellenic tree spirits/dryads desu
>>
>>1405560
Might be thinking about the Huldra. They seem to match your description.
>>
File: 9780877739746.png (1001 KB, 560x800) Image search: [Google]
9780877739746.png
1001 KB, 560x800
Have some patrician-tier nonfiction on Fairy Tales.
>>
>>1405358
i REALLY don't want to start WEWUZ olympics but i must note that Hodja Nasreddin stories are not exclusively Turkish but have spread all over Persia and Central Asia as well
>>
>>1405330
Because that's where they live
>>
File: russian folklore.jpg (123 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
russian folklore.jpg
123 KB, 660x495
>>1405007
>>
>>1406378
I heard that balkan peoe also know it.
>>
>>1405374
There is another one which I like a lot.
One day nasreddin hoca borrows a pan from his neighbour, some time later the neighbour comes back to ask for it and nasreddin hoca gives his pan and smaller pan with it back.
The neighbour asks why he gave him two pans and nasreddin replies that his pan was pregnant and that the smaller pan is the larger ones child, the neighbour takes them both being happy that je has now two pans.
Later on nasreddin hoca borrows the same pan again from the neighbour and so after a few days the neighbour goes back to get his pan.
But this time nasreddin hoca says that his pan died and that he can't give it back, the neighbour becomes angry saying that pans don't die and as a reaction nasreddin hoca also becomes angry saying that its weird that the neighbour belives that pans can have children but he doesn't believe that they can die.
>>
>>1405390
When people think of the UK king arthur comes to mind tbqh.
>>
>>1405547
So the message is don't become arrogant ?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.