[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What events were so catastrophic people thought the world was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: angelpaul.jpg (45 KB, 676x380) Image search: [Google]
angelpaul.jpg
45 KB, 676x380
What events were so catastrophic people thought the world was about to end?

>The Huns threw themselves on the Alans, the Alans on the Goths, the Goths on the Taifali and Sarmati. Expelled from their homeland, the Goths
have expelled us from Illyricum, and it is not yet ended. We are at the end of the world.
>>
The Black Death always amazes me. Over half of Europe's population dying in a few years is just crazy.

They were entirely justified in believing the world was ending. If the plague had been just a little worse, it really would have (for Europe at least).
>>
Huns
Black death
WWI
Obama
>>
When Rome got sacked in 410 by that two-faced traitor Alaric. The news traveled the known world and everything started to change. All through Europe, the Mediterranean, and Aftrica art and architecture started regressing and expressed a need for order and stability. No more whimsical flourishes or herioc icons, it was stark and geometric and stank of fear and insecurity. Through art we now view this as the beginning of the Dark Ages.

meanwhile the Eastern Empire was swimming in gold, spices, bitches, and pubescent houseboys for all
>>
>>1405023
>t. Honorius
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse
>>
File: 455_sack_of_rome.png (462 KB, 555x563) Image search: [Google]
455_sack_of_rome.png
462 KB, 555x563
>>1405023
>>
2023 when North Korea and China are reduced to embers :3

Well, for them anyway
>>
>>1405089
there were multiple sackings of Rome but the one in 410 was the first time in like 700 years
>>
>>1405023
>implying Alaric wasn't betrayed by the Empire
>implying they left him any choice but to sack rome when they treated Germanics so treacherously
>>
>>1405156
This.

It wasn't even a bad sacking relatively.

Rome had done way worse.
>>
>>1405023
Rome could have easily recovered from the sack, the 455 one was when people really started to worry. The Western Empire was still plenty strong after 410 (see Aetius' campaigns for reference).

The loss of Carthage and the rest of Africa was a much bigger blow than any of the sacks of Rome.
>>
>>1405156
But I don't care about Alaric's feelings and who deserved what. Justice is a social construct and doesn't exist in naitcher.
>>
>>1405308
Aetius campaign was him gathering allied barbarian tribes to fight for Rome against the the greater threat of the Huns.

Rome was still in a desperate state that required outside military influence to stay afloat.
>>
>>1405342
Yeah well that's a spook.

I win you lose.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.