[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prove that Augustus wasn't the best leader history has seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: Statue-Augustus.jpg (492 KB, 1500x2250) Image search: [Google]
Statue-Augustus.jpg
492 KB, 1500x2250
Prove that Augustus wasn't the best leader history has seen

>Protip: you can't
>>
>proving a negative
we're sposta be having legitimate discussions on this board, or at least strive to
>>
>>1404914
touché

point still stands tho
>>
File: Adolf.jpg (19 KB, 250x317) Image search: [Google]
Adolf.jpg
19 KB, 250x317
>>1404905
This guy was better.
>>
Trajan and maybe Charlemagne.
>>
His campaign in Cantabria. He was such a beta that he had to pretend he was sick to return home to get Agrippa to clean up his fuck up.
>>
File: Vespasianus01_pushkin_edit.png (2 MB, 759x960) Image search: [Google]
Vespasianus01_pushkin_edit.png
2 MB, 759x960
Yes I can. B)
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 360x270
>>1404905
Behold!!!
Bait!
Pro tip: blah blah blah
Any input (OC) of your own?
Didn't think so.
Right Click
Hide Thread
>>
>>1404905
Caligula was far better. He had a no fucks given attitude about him that i respect.
>>
File: england-2-lions-arms2.jpg (71 KB, 496x640) Image search: [Google]
england-2-lions-arms2.jpg
71 KB, 496x640
William the Conqueror gained control of Britain flawlessly. In all aspects of life - military, social, psychological; as well as arts, architecture, cuisine. It was fucking genius. There was hardly any reason for the Brits to resist, certainly not for long.
>>
>>1404918
>I found Berlin a city of rubble and left it a city of rubble
>>
>>1404964
They say maintaining the status quo is an art.
>>
>>1404933
to be honest it was more to find out other leaders to read up about. Augustus is always no. 1 tho
>>
File: Make Space Great Again.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Make Space Great Again.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>1404905
Comin' through!
>>
File: Louis IX.png (1 MB, 795x999) Image search: [Google]
Louis IX.png
1 MB, 795x999
>>1404972
Look up Ian Smith then. Turned a part of Africa (a land infested with disease, violent, and blacks) and made it a breadbasket. How did he put Africans to work with at least a billion bullets is beyond me.
>>
>>1404936
>best leader
>gets killed by the people he lead
Who are you naming next? Caesar?
>>
Do Historians think that Julius Caesar could have actually pulled off the military campaign he had planned before he was murdered?

Conquering Parthia and all of Germania on the way back home?
>>
>>1406845
Rome had a few pportunities to conquer Germania, the only thing they lacked was an emperor that desired to do it. So I'd say yes.
>>
>>1404971
>watch as I let this pile of shit remain a pile of shit
>>
>>1407429
>get BTFO so hard by Germans that they built Limes to stay safe from them
>lol we just didn't desire to invade them
>>
>>1407429
Augustus tried to tbf. Quinctillius Varus got BTFO by Arminius in the Teutoberg Forest and Aug just decided to leave it alone
>>
>>1404905
I can't, he was
>>
>>1404905
Succession, he laid the groundwork for future instability by not establishing a clear rules of Succession.
>>
>>1407623
No he didn't. He was unfortunate in that all of his chosen heirs died so he had to attempt to establish a precedent for future emperors, in which he shared the tribunician power with Agrippa and later Tiberius.
>>
>>1407662
just to clarify it was meant to be a precedent on how they should designate their heir
>>
>>1407662
>>1407663
I know I understand but the fact that it failed must be held against him
>>
>the five emperors immediately following him are four degenerate psychopathic tyrants and one mentally retarded cripple

Amazing work preparing for the future there Gus.
>>
>>1407827
Tiberius was like his last choice but his intended heirs kept dying.
>>
>>1407496
Germanicus raped them something fierce actually, but Tiberius had to move him away from his legions to avoid a rebellion. Rome literally lacked the political will to subdue the area after Augustus.
>>
>>1406845
From a purely military POV he might have, given a quiet homefront to send him provisions and reinforcements. Whether the regions would stay pacified after he left is a whole different question tho. They're just too fucking far to police from Rome.
>>
File: Alexander the Great.jpg (199 KB, 900x466) Image search: [Google]
Alexander the Great.jpg
199 KB, 900x466
I think you meant Alexander the Great
>>
File: Graf_Clemens_Metternich.jpg (8 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
Graf_Clemens_Metternich.jpg
8 KB, 300x428
>>1404905
At least my guy doesn't have a toddler getting impaled by giant cock on his portrait.
>>
>>1404929
Smart leader that knew his limits.
>>
>>1408202
Isn't he the dude who had to be smuggled out of Austria in a basket after his policies started a bunch of riots?
>>
>>1404949
>Hardly any reason for the Brits to resist

But Phillipe, if that's true then why did the harrying of the north happen?
>>
>>1408202
its a cherub/Cupid you philistine. It represents his divine ancestry. What does your leader have apart from a poodle's haircut?
>>
>>1407496
Have you forgotten Germanicus' campaign?
>>
>>1404905
>Letting his psycho wife control the line of succession and fill it with depressives and psychos...
>>
>>1408987
what version of history have you been reading
>>
>>1409015
What version of history have YOU been reading?
>>
>>1404918
Yes. Right up 1939.
>>
>>1407623
Wut

The Claudian dynasty was the most stable
>>
>>1407827
Goes to show how stable of a system Augustus established.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.