[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could someone nutshell the crusades?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: epicCrusader.jpg (103 KB, 552x294) Image search: [Google]
epicCrusader.jpg
103 KB, 552x294
So I forgot my textbook at my house and I'm currently sitting at my college frantically watching videos and reading up all I can on the European crusades into the Islamic middle east.
I'm not asking for an hour out of your day, just something that briefly describes what went down with a military focus (so tactics, weapons, troops, etc).
Don't know what I need to provide in return for a response, but OP will try his best to deliver.
Perhaps dubs decides?
Also general crusade thread I guess
>>
>>290083

Muslim generals were intruding into Byzantium, the Emperor asked for assistance, the Pope called for a military campaign to assist the Byzantines by creating a buffer state in the Holy Land, and then it became a concentrated campaign for Christendom to hold the Holy Land after they initially conquered it, leading to a series of campaigns against Muslims.
>>
File: xdmnbnr5-1354149192.jpg (250 KB, 1355x1032) Image search: [Google]
xdmnbnr5-1354149192.jpg
250 KB, 1355x1032
>>290083
>>290137

The First Crusade

The call to arms was issued by Pope Urban II. It was not an organized matter - many feudal lords decided to take up the call individually of each other. There were many small bodies of armies, but eventually it boiled down to these three main forces:

Godfrey of Bouillone
Raymond of Toulouse
Bohemond of Taranto

These three nobles were both allies and rivals. Raymond was the leading candidate and considered the most "senior" at the start of the campaign. Godfrey was a younger french noble. Bohemond, a norman, was never interested in Jerusalem but only took up arms against it because he knew they would pass Antioch on the way. For him, Antioch was the real prize.

They were granted through Byzantine lands. After this they were more unified but they did not march directly together as their armies were often 1 or 2 days apart. But close enough so that they could help each other out.

On their way they were harassed by a multitude of arab armies but in the end they managed to BTFO'd most of the forces that drew up against them.

(Sidenote: There was an earlier force called the People's Crusade who crossed into Asia Minor before these three. The People's Crusade consisted of mostly religious fanatics and naiv followers of some monk. They got cut to pieces and all of them - ALL OF THEM - were sold into slavery. This included some poorer knights and men-at-arms of said monk. The monk escaped tho and linked up with Raymond and Godfrey)

They reached Antioch. They besieged it for a long time. Bohemond really wanted that city and, though outnumbered, destroyed a relief force with only his cavalry. The normans eventually tricked their way into the city and the christians rushed in. After heavy fighting the city fell and Bohemond proclaimed that he was done crusading - and thus the Principality of Antioch was formed. A norman state.
>>
>>290609

Godfrey and Raymond continued on with a decimated force since the powerful Normans had left them. They eventually reached Jerusalem, besieged it and - I think you know the rest...
>>
>>290612

Oh, I forgot -

Godfrey won the whole thing. He gained Jerusalem and his dynasty prevailed. Raymond got nothing, that sucker.
>>
>>290083
the 4th crusade wasn't really a crusade it was just people unable to pay debts and then constantinople was sacked. then kebab showed up and mopped up what was left
>>
>>290083
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bGxMcSHOmI

Part I and II are just under an hour combined
>>
one abrahamic faith wasnt like the other abrahamic faith

so while taking their frustration out on eachother they decided to invade the land of the people that is the cause of both their religions in the first place

the end
>>
>>290616
Godfrey didn't want the crown and he died shortly after gaining jerusalem, so really Baldwin won. Raymond went to constantinople and remained in the service of the byzantines
>>
>>290842

Oh yes, forgot about Baldwin. He was one of the minor nobles if I recall correctly. So yeah, he won big time.

From ZERO to HERO
>>
OP here
Well, I didn't get rekt and look like an idiot in history class, thanks to you guys.
Dubs decide what I deilver
>inb4 irl shit
>>
>>291127

deliver your test
>>
>>291136
3/5 on the weekly quiz, sorry no pics
Got lucky on one of them, other two were things I never got to like Richard the Lionheart and Enessa
>>
>>291147
Im guessing youre in high school
>>
>>291147
Read up on the 3rd crusade anon. Lionheart vs Saladin is one of the most fascinating stories in history.

>>290731
4th crusade started out honest but was outfuckingplayed by the venetians. Basically, the army was assembled in europe but they didn't have enough ships. The venetian doge gave them ships, but in return he demanded that a town/castle on the adriatic coast was taken in his name. One thing led to another and the crusaders ended up sacking Constantinople.
>>
>>291198
>Muslims are knocking down our gates
>Better start backstabbing eachother!
>>
>>291127
Deliver picture of hottest girl in class
>>
File: KIRK6479CustomImage1684173.jpg (69 KB, 450x594) Image search: [Google]
KIRK6479CustomImage1684173.jpg
69 KB, 450x594
>>290083
Catholic and Orthodox church splits
Byzantine emperor asks for help
Pope thinks this is an excellent way to mend the split
Instead of sending a few hundred mercenary knights he calls a god damn crusade
Mostly Frankish nobles and ordinary people join it for religious and economic reasons
The Crusaders blast their way through the Middle East and the leaders carve out nice little kingdoms and principalities instead of giving the land to the church
After thirty years the crusaders fortune changes and they lose a bit of land
Until 1290-something various middle eastern factions try to reconquer the land and a number of counterattacking crusades tried to get it back or expend
Around 1290-something the last city of acre falls to the mukluks and no one in Europe feels like going on Crusade anymore (except for a few half hearted attempts)

What did it entail for the people living in the holy land? Mostly just a slight change of management/upper layer
>>
>>291461
>The Crusaders blast their way through the Middle East and the leaders carve out nice little kingdoms and principalities instead of giving the land to the church

Instead of giving land to the Byzantine emperor, you mean.
>>
>>291457
this
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.