[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the most overrated founding father? He wasnt a visionary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
Is he the most overrated founding father?

He wasnt a visionary philosopher, he wasnt a shrewd politican. All he had was his military career, but he was a shitty general, plus he was an ambitious aristocrat and just wanted to further his own career above all else.

And he was a shitty president who had no fucking idea what he was doing and managed to spark a second rebellion AND a war with Americas new buddy the French. Although both of those were very small scale
>>
>>1401965
He was a good leader and that is all we really needed.
>>
Brah, all he wanted to do was be a farmer.

People kept dragging him off his plantation to do shit.
>>
>>1401965
He refuse to take up power he didn't wanted for the sake of his country. How many leaders of the past can claim that?
>>
>>1402010
Every US President besides maybe FDR and Nixon that allowed a peaceful transition of power?
>>
File: tri.jpg (128 KB, 500x709) Image search: [Google]
tri.jpg
128 KB, 500x709
He had the one thing that money can never buy, INTEGRITY.
>>
>>1402008
Washington was the American Cincinnatus. Even to this day, he's the nation's moral compass.
>>
>>1402046
Most grabbed power for the executive branch in some form or another. Jackson did it with vetoing for example
>>
>>1401965
He was steady hand when America needed it the fact that he never tried to grab power or allow his subordinates to grab power really stabilized the early government
>>
>plus he was an ambitious aristocrat and just wanted to further his own career above all else.

Except he wasn't, and stepped down after two terms. Or did you just decide to neglect that, you contrarian, edgy little faggot?

If he was all about building power, he would've become king. The country was more than willing to let him do that.
>>
>>1402087
True enough, but they all stepped down when appropriate...I can't imagine that was the norm for most rulers throughout history.
>>
>>1402264
But it was only the norm in the US because Washington made it the norm.
>>
>>1402267
Fair enough. Still, I think it is impressive how nearly all of our Presidents allowed for a peaceful transition of power.

FDR clung to the presidency and I fully believe if not for Watergate destroying his political career Nixon would have acted as a "power behind the throne" for Ford. I also think that's what H.W. Bush was doing, considering the fact that almost the entire administration of the W office was essentially a clone of his.

Oh, and if Hillary wins? She was running the White House in the nineties for 8 years already.
>>
>>1401965
Don't forget how he misinterpreted Freemasonry to inflict a shitty political system on an unsuspecting nation.
>>
>>1402294
>I also think that's what H.W. Bush was doing, considering the fact that almost the entire administration of the W office was essentially a clone of his.

Except H.W. didn't want a renewed war with Iraq and frankly, none of Bush's appointees could match H.W.'s.

H.W. was just a lot smarter than his son.
>>
>>1402008
This^

Same thing with Jefferson Davis, he didn't want to be President, the Provisional Confederate Congress elected him as a write-in candidate.
>>
>>1402306
He also wasn't as gung-ho about the neoconservatives' agenda as his son.

Honestly, I don't really think H.W. was calling too many shots during his son's presidency. Though I'm sure had a lot to say about certain elements of the job, and who to listen to.
>>
>>1402294
Tbf for FDR changing presidents or even having an election during wartime is pretty stupid
>>
File: byronwashingtoncincinnatus.jpg (60 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
byronwashingtoncincinnatus.jpg
60 KB, 850x400
>>1402077
THIS
>>
>>1402411
Had FDR stepped down in 1940 we don't know if America would have gotten involved at all
>>
>>1403480
Willkie would have loved to have gotten us into war.
>>
>>1401965
Nigga was immune to bullets.
That's important in a young nation.
>>
>>1402046
>that allowed a peaceful transition of power
Who set that precedent of stepping down after two terms that they felt obliged to follow?
>>
>>1402008
>good seson 4 crops
>continantul congress, swerv
>>
>>1403480
yeah cause I am sure that whoever was elected instead would totally want to just fucking stop sanctioning/embargoing a fascist state that was committing genocide and growing to be a rival that threatened nearly all of our Pacific holdings
o wait
more like Pearl harbor was inevitable by the end of FDR's first 2 terms and war was inevitable as ties to the UK strengthened and ties to Germany/the Axis faltered
>>
>>1402008

I couldn't imagine being on call 24/7 when my fucking strawberries are growing in.
>>
>>1401965
Yes. Most people think he was 5 stars, objectively he was more like 3, 3.5 at best.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.